Welcome, Guest. Please Login.
rbent - Recumbent Bike Enthusiasts of North Texas
May 15th, 2024, 1:02pm
News: Want to join the rbent Forum? See this thread.
Home Help Search Login

Pages: 1 2 3 4
Send Topic Print
Official Reclining Flyers TTTT 4 Man Team thread (Read 12518 times)
Bud_Bent

Official Reclining Flyers TTTT 4 Man Team thread
Jul 25th, 2007, 10:13pm

Well, we seem to have finalized the first rbent team for this year's TTTT. It is a yet to be titled 4 man recumbent team for the Tejas 500. Team members are Greg (aikigreg), Paul (FlyingLaZBoy), Steve (Strada177), and me.  

I'm not sure if the four of us should vote on the team name, or maybe we should just have a poll here and let the forum choose the team's name. The race is just over two months away, so we have time to work out all the race details and strategy, as well as steering our training toward this event.

A 500 mile relay race that runs right through the night on a not-so-easy course is no small undertaking. Wish us luck, everyone, and I hope we're joined by more rbent teams in the TTTT (there are shorter events for those less than enthusiastic about a 36 hour race; the 100 mile race is something many here could do). Those of us on the team should read through the race rules a few times to make sure we understand everything.  

There is much for us to cuss and discuss between now and September 28th, so here's a place for us to do it.

« Last Edit: Jul 28th, 2007, 3:46pm by Bud_Bent »  

Bud
* 2009 RANS F-5 Pro
* 2009 RANS XStream
* 2004 RANS Screamer
My Blog - uneasy-rider.com
WWW   IP Logged
Kwijybow
Five Star Member

mostly a commuter

Re: Official TTTT 4 Man Team thread
Reply #1 - Jul 25th, 2007, 10:25pm

Don't want to hijack your thread, but we have a partially bent team with Dennis Cook, Jeremy Davis, Ray Torrey and myself.  We're going with Cole Miners as team name in honor of our missing team member Gary Cole who passed away a few weeks ago.  This is a return of our Fleche team minus Gary who will be guiding us in spirit.  I plan to ride the Corsa right now, and Ray will be on his Aero part of the time at least.  We're planning to start at the Thursday 6pm time and hopefully be through well before the Awards ceremony, but I look forward to the camaraderie of my fellow benters and friends, and a little helpful competition doesn't hurt either.  Good Luck! and I'm looking forward to the race.

Take Care,
Nelson.

« Last Edit: Jul 25th, 2007, 10:25pm by Kwijybow »  

Commuter 1Cheesyavidson Impulse
Commuter 2: Motobecane Fixie
Commuter 3: Salsa Journeyman
Recumbent 1: Schlitter Encore 20
recumbent 2: Bacchetta Ti Aero
Email   IP Logged
FlyingLaZBoy

'16 ICE SprintX fs,
'16 Rocket, '12 KHS
Mocha

Reply #2 - Jul 25th, 2007, 10:57pm

Oh, wise guy!!!!  (kidding, Nelson)

Welcome, Steve, didn't know you were really considering it vs. riding with the Ms...  Again, I say, Welcome Aboard!   When should we plan to go back down there to introduce Steve to the course?  (or is he doing Goatneck this weekend?)

I still like the Flying Recliners for a team name...  or vice versa, the Reclining Flyers  Smiley

Nelson, is your "partially bent" team a 4-man 500 mile group, or do you have two sets of two man teams doing the 200?  I'm confused...

Paul

« Last Edit: Jul 25th, 2007, 11:03pm by FlyingLaZBoy »  

"A hundred miles on a bike? How many
days does that take you?"

Email FlyingLaZBoy   IP Logged
Kwijybow
Five Star Member

mostly a commuter

Reply #3 - Jul 26th, 2007, 5:09am

We're doing the 4 man 500 mile, with the 48 hour start (conservative!)  We are hoping for a Sub 30hr time though.  Two of our riders are DF only.  Ray and I switch hit as it were, but I was planning on using the Corsa exclusively, although I may throw the Lemond in the van as a backup bike.  I think Ray was going to possibly ride his Seven during the night since it has his generator hub mounted.  Dan seemed to think it would be OK to do this although where we end up classified is a bit unclear.

Back in April we four with Gary attempted to do a Fleche from San Angelo to Grand Prarie, but ended up riding for 11 hours into a screaming cold sleet laden headwind that saw our downhill forward progress drop into the single digit range.  We ended up abandoning the attempt in Comanche.  

Reclining Flyers heh, of course you could set your selves apart from, and show that you have a Low, High, and Long Racer with the name "Fully Bent" to our "Partially Bent".  I think we're sticking with Cole Miners though.

Take Care,
Nelson.

Commuter 1Cheesyavidson Impulse
Commuter 2: Motobecane Fixie
Commuter 3: Salsa Journeyman
Recumbent 1: Schlitter Encore 20
recumbent 2: Bacchetta Ti Aero
Email   IP Logged
FooRider

baccheater   '06
Corsa

Reply #4 - Jul 26th, 2007, 6:46am

Quote from FlyingLaZBoy on Jul 25th, 2007, 10:57pm:
I still like the Flying Recliners for a team name... or vice versa, the Reclining Flyers Smiley

The second, I think.  

I made myself grin with "Barking Loungers" (as in "barking mad" and a play on "Barcalounger"), but it's taking the long way 'round for a weak pun.

Quote:
and show that you have a Low, High, and Long Racer with the name "Fully Bent" to our "Partially Bent".

Just hope there aren't any Brits in the vicinity.  I didn't know it until Mrs. Strada told me, but it seems "bent" is slang for "homosexual", over on the other side of the pond.  Which makes my motto, "GET BENT: Lie back. Ride hard.  Grin like a monkey." a bit... ehm... odd sounding.

« Last Edit: Jul 26th, 2007, 6:53am by FooRider »  

Lie Back. Ride hard. Grin like a monkey.
WWW   IP Logged
Bud_Bent

Reply #5 - Jul 26th, 2007, 9:07am

A mix of recumbent and upright.......... hmmm, it will be interesting to see how Dan classifies that. Anyone else thinking about riding the TTTT, too?

Bud
* 2009 RANS F-5 Pro
* 2009 RANS XStream
* 2004 RANS Screamer
WWW   IP Logged
FlyingLaZBoy

'16 ICE SprintX fs,
'16 Rocket, '12 KHS
Mocha

Reply #6 - Jul 26th, 2007, 10:18am

Low, High, and Long...   INteresting team name concept...   Grin Grin Grin

FlyingLaZBoy

'16 ICE SprintX fs,
'16 Rocket, '12 KHS
Mocha

Reply #7 - Jul 26th, 2007, 10:22am

So, how do we submit our entry, and cover the money?  Send Bud checks, made out to whom?

Killer Bee
Five Star Member

CA2.0 proto type

Reply #8 - Jul 26th, 2007, 11:20am

Quote from FlyingLaZBoy on Jul 25th, 2007, 10:57pm:
Oh, wise guy!!!!  (kidding, Nelson)

Welcome, Steve, didn't know you were really considering it vs. riding with the Ms...  Again, I say, Welcome Aboard!   When should we plan to go back down there to introduce Steve to the course?  (or is he doing Goatneck this weekend?)

I still like the Flying Recliners for a team name...  or vice versa, the Reclining Flyers  Smiley

Nelson, is your "partially bent" team a 4-man 500 mile group, or do you have two sets of two man teams doing the 200?  I'm confused...

Paul

Paul...I'm registered for the Goatneck,BUT I have might have a family conflict. Right now,I'm 50/50 for this Saturday. I have done the Goatneck once before(last year). There are some good climbs.

Here's a thought for the team name Blood,Sweat & Rears...(word play on the band Blood Sweat & Tears),or not!!!

I like carbon fiber
Email   IP Logged
aikigreg

recumbent ninja

Reply #9 - Jul 26th, 2007, 6:11pm

I like Reclining FLyers or Low High and Long the best.  this is likely my last post for a while - I'll be out of pocket mostly until the 10th of Aug or thereabouts.   I'll post pictures of the Bourbon Trail Alexis and I rode when we get back.  Have fun!

Greg

I'm in it to Schwinn it.
Email   IP Logged
Killer Bee
Five Star Member

CA2.0 proto type

Reply #10 - Jul 26th, 2007, 7:42pm

Quote from FlyingLaZBoy on Jul 26th, 2007, 10:22am:
So, how do we submit our entry, and cover the money?  Send Bud checks, made out to whom?

Yes. All good questions. Any answers?

I like carbon fiber
Email   IP Logged
Bud_Bent

Re: Official Reclining Flyers TTTT 4 Man Team thre
Reply #11 - Jul 26th, 2007, 9:04pm

The Reclining Flyers it is.

Let me re-check all the registration particulars and figure out how to get us entered.

« Last Edit: Jul 28th, 2007, 3:47pm by Bud_Bent »  

Bud
* 2009 RANS F-5 Pro
* 2009 RANS XStream
* 2004 RANS Screamer
WWW   IP Logged
Killer Bee
Five Star Member

CA2.0 proto type

Reply #12 - Jul 27th, 2007, 10:24pm

Mrs Strada has asked thingy Sporting Goods about sponsorship. I should have an answer within the week.

« Last Edit: Jul 28th, 2007, 3:48pm by Bud_Bent »  

I like carbon fiber
Email   IP Logged
Bud_Bent

Reply #13 - Jul 28th, 2007, 3:45pm

There is no online registration, so we just need to each mail in a check with a filled out registration form and signed waiver. They can be downloaded here. There is a line on the registration form for you to enter the team name. Just enter Reclining Flyers on that line; that will let Dan match our entries.

Have you checked about sponsorship possibilities, Paul? What about jerseys?

« Last Edit: Jul 28th, 2007, 3:52pm by Bud_Bent »  

Bud
* 2009 RANS F-5 Pro
* 2009 RANS XStream
* 2004 RANS Screamer
WWW   IP Logged
FlyingLaZBoy

'16 ICE SprintX fs,
'16 Rocket, '12 KHS
Mocha

Reply #14 - Jul 28th, 2007, 8:25pm

I haven't checked on any sponsorship or jersey aspects.  I mentioned to Rick at Plano that we were trying to form a 'bent TTTT group, and he liked the idea.

Steve, who exactly is "Thingy Sporting Goods"?????   Grin Cheesy

As for jerseys, it could be fun to come up with some new design, but the $150 fee kinda blows my cycling budget for the month of September, and August is already gone towards the Randonneurs of China jersey I'm getting from SloJoeRecumbo...   Sad Smiley

OK, my application is filled out and ready to send in...

PB

« Last Edit: Jul 28th, 2007, 9:09pm by FlyingLaZBoy »  

Pages: 1 2 3 4
Send Topic Print