Welcome, Guest. Please Login.
rbent - Recumbent Bike Enthusiasts of North Texas
May 15th, 2024, 8:23am
News: Want to join the rbent Forum? See this thread.
Home Help Search Login

Pages: 1 2 3 4
Send Topic Print
September 8 Recumbent Ride in Flower Mound (Read 9393 times)
bikerteam
Five Star Member

Exceed Your
Limitations

September 8 Recumbent Ride in Flower Mound
Aug 26th, 2007, 6:36pm

I would like to host an rbent ride in my hometown of Flower Mound on Saturday, September 8th, start time 8am.  Start location is the strip center where Bicycles Plus is located, on the SW corner of Long Prairie (aka 2499) and Flower Mound Rd (aka 3040).

For those who have not ridden in Flower Mound, there are a lot of great, paved roads, light traffic, and lots of hills.  This area is a mecca for DFW area cyclists.  I can easily ride 50-75 miles and unless by choice, not ride the same roads twice.  

Nelson, Charlie and Robert have ridden with me and can attest to the great riding.  As a matter of fact, Nelson and I rode yesterday, and even though it was HHH, we saw 50-60 riders in a relatively short amount of time.  

Personally, I'd like to ride 50 miles (or more) with as much climbing (or hill repeats) as possible.  Depending on the varied interest of potential rbent'ers, I could pre-design several different routes/distances/climbing.  

As I type, my wife just volunteered to make "healthy" breakfast burritos,  Shocked
so please let me know if you'd like to join us.

Ray Torrey
Email   IP Logged
FlyingLaZBoy

'16 ICE SprintX fs,
'16 Rocket, '12 KHS
Mocha

Re: September 8 Recumbent Ride in Flower Mound
Reply #1 - Aug 26th, 2007, 6:57pm

Excellent, Ray!   I would suggest trying to plan out three routes -- one with "extra" hills as you describe, one of similar distance "without", and a shorter route for a casual group.

"A hundred miles on a bike? How many
days does that take you?"

Email FlyingLaZBoy   IP Logged
robert.j

rbent member

Reply #2 - Aug 26th, 2007, 8:25pm

Ray:  I'll have to check the official calender, but to the best of my knowledge I should be able to make it.  It IS a great track and I'll definitely look forward to seeing those roads again.  Lots of DFs for the testosterone charged folks to chase down!  I am probably good for about 50 miles if there are places to stop a couple of times.  See you in a couple of weeks.
Robert

Robert Johnson
Bacchetta Corsa
Ventana Mtn Bike
Barcroft Columbia Tandem
Sun EZ1
1970ish French Roold
Email   IP Logged
aikigreg

recumbent ninja

Reply #3 - Aug 26th, 2007, 9:29pm

I'm on it!

I'm in it to Schwinn it.
Email   IP Logged
bikerteam
Five Star Member

Exceed Your
Limitations

Reply #4 - Aug 27th, 2007, 6:11am

Awesome - I'll have to learn to design routes on bikely.com pretty quickly. I wanted to design a 200k Permanent anyway, so this is the perfect imputus to get me started.  

p.s.  There is a 200k Lone Star Randonneur Brevet, leaving from Italy (Tx) this Saturday, 9-1-07 at 7:30am.  I'll be there, and from what I've been reading, it will be well represented.  Hope to see some of the rbent family there as well.  

Have a great week everyone.

Ray Torrey
Email   IP Logged
MkCharlie

rbent member

Reply #5 - Aug 27th, 2007, 3:37pm

I'll be there too.

Charlie

Email   IP Logged
aikigreg

recumbent ninja

Reply #6 - Aug 27th, 2007, 6:50pm

Oh man I'll want the shock fork installed before that!   Grin

I'm in it to Schwinn it.
Email   IP Logged
Opus the Poet
Five Star Member

rbent member

Reply #7 - Aug 28th, 2007, 12:08am

The bike is down until I get the new fork installed Sad

Opus

I ride my bike to ride my bike, and sometimes it takes me where I need to go.
Email WWW   IP Logged
bikerteam
Five Star Member

Exceed Your
Limitations

Reply #8 - Aug 31st, 2007, 7:55pm

Ok everyone, I just designed my first route on bikely. It's a common 35 route ridden in the Flower Mound area by many bike clubs.  Not too many flat areas, and a steep climb of about 11% around mile 18.  See the elevation profile.  I hope this link works:
http://www.bikely.com/maps/bike-path/Flower-Mound-Argyle-35-mile-loop

This route is what I intended on introducing for our September 8th ride.  Since I'm a newbie, please let me know if this is too short, too long, acceptable, etc...  Also, do I need to provide a turn-by-turn cue sheet?

I'll also design a longer route (50 miles or so) that goes west to Justin, and depending on the mileage, there are good roads to go even father west to Eagle Mountain.  

Comments/suggestions are welcome.

Ray Torrey
Email   IP Logged
aikigreg

recumbent ninja

Reply #9 - Aug 31st, 2007, 10:10pm

definately will want the longer route!  Nicely done, Ray.

I'm in it to Schwinn it.
Email   IP Logged
Bud_Bent

Reply #10 - Aug 31st, 2007, 10:14pm

Looks good, Ray. We have a wide variety of riders, so no matter what kind of route you lay out, someone will find it too long, too short, too hilly, too flat, etc. I say just pick a route you like, and lead it. Having a second distance can accommodate more riders, but then you have to recruit someone to lead that route.

My bout with bronchitis is gone and forgotten, so I'll have no excuse if I can't huff and puff myself up those hills.

Bud
* 2009 RANS F-5 Pro
* 2009 RANS XStream
* 2004 RANS Screamer
My Blog - uneasy-rider.com
WWW   IP Logged
robert.j

rbent member

Reply #11 - Aug 31st, 2007, 10:42pm

Oops.  Had no sooner said I could come than I got a call about a meeting at church I pretty much have to be at (what kind of church has meetings at 7:30 AM on Saturdays anyway?!).  Possibly I can meet up with you somewhere along the way, but don't count on me being there.
Robert

Robert Johnson
Bacchetta Corsa
Ventana Mtn Bike
Barcroft Columbia Tandem
Sun EZ1
1970ish French Roold
Email   IP Logged
Killer Bee
Five Star Member

CA2.0 proto type

Reply #12 - Sep 1st, 2007, 11:01pm

Count me in. See you next Saturday.

-Steve

I like carbon fiber
Email   IP Logged
bikerteam
Five Star Member

Exceed Your
Limitations

Reply #13 - Sep 2nd, 2007, 3:07pm

Hi Everyone - well I modified the 35 mile route to create a 50 mile route.  The I saved the name of the file as "Flower Mound/Argyle 50 mile loop".  I assumed BIKELY would have created and saved the file as the new route, however, it replaced the 35 mile route with the 50 mile route and kept the original name.  So, the route is 50 miles now but the file name remained as it was.  

I learned that I should have started from scratch to create the new route.  Now, time permitting, I'll create the original 35 mile route.

http://www.bikely.com/maps/bike-path/Flower-Mound-Argyle-35-mile-loop

I'll drive the 50 mile route later today or tomorrow and create an Excel cue sheet.  

Does anyone know how to change the name of a file in bikely?  I need to change the name since the name references 35 miles and it's now 50 miles.  

Sorry for the confusion.  Unless the group that has responded wants to ride the 35 mile route, we'll be riding the 50 mile route next Saturday, 9-8, beginning at 8am.  As a reminder, my wife will make breakfast burritos, so I would appreciate anyone who hasn't responded, letting me know that you'll join.  My cel phone is 817-975-8638.

Have a great week everyone.

Ray Torrey
Email   IP Logged
FlyingLaZBoy

'16 ICE SprintX fs,
'16 Rocket, '12 KHS
Mocha

Reply #14 - Sep 3rd, 2007, 10:08pm

I"m pretty sure I'll be there, as well....  This route goes through some of the same sections from the Best of the Northwest ride we did back in June, that Bud and Greg came out on -- I see some sections I've been on before, when we started from Big Buck's...

PB

« Last Edit: Sep 4th, 2007, 2:16pm by FlyingLaZBoy »  

"A hundred miles on a bike? How many
days does that take you?"

Email FlyingLaZBoy   IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 4
Send Topic Print