Welcome, Guest. Please Login.
rbent - Recumbent Bike Enthusiasts of North Texas
May 17th, 2024, 5:02am
News: Want to join the rbent Forum? See this thread.
Home Help Search Login

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Want to purchase a recumbent (Read 2310 times)
Nick Oliver

Stratus XP

Want to purchase a recumbent
Aug 24th, 2007, 2:36pm

I am brand new to this forum but have been riding for several years (not a recumbent) and am a member of the Greater Dallas Bicyclists (I think I am current).  A couple of years ago I fell and broke my ankle rather badly and since then have been hesitant to get back onto a standard bicycle due to my weight (305lbs).  I want to make the move to a recumbent but find the price for a new one is a little steep for me.  I am tall, 6'2" and so require a longer frame 'bent - and am, as mentioned above, heavy.  Does anyone out there have a 'bent for sale or have any other suggestions (besides taking another job  Smiley )  I need to get back on a bike and REALLY need the exercise - I miss the rides but want to be on something safer and more forgiving to someone of my stature.
thanks
Nick Oliver

« Last Edit: Aug 26th, 2007, 6:50pm by FlyingLaZBoy »  
Email   IP Logged
Bud_Bent

Re: Want to purchase a recument
Reply #1 - Aug 25th, 2007, 7:16pm

Welcome to the forum, nwoliver. It's tough to find both strong and inexpensive. The Sun EZ recumbents may be your best choice. As I recall, the EZ Sport isn't rated for your weight, but most of the other EZ recumbents will handle it ok. They're a bit heavy and slow, but they are strong and pretty well built for inexpensive bikes, and strong, light, and cheap is probably more than you are going to find. I would test ride an EZ-1, EZ-Rider, and one or more of the EZ trikes at local bike shops, figure out what you want, then look for a used one. There are lots of used Sun EZ bents around. Good luck.

« Last Edit: Aug 25th, 2007, 7:22pm by Bud_Bent »  

Bud
* 2009 RANS F-5 Pro
* 2009 RANS XStream
* 2004 RANS Screamer
My Blog - uneasy-rider.com
WWW   IP Logged
FooRider

baccheater   '06
Corsa

Reply #2 - Aug 26th, 2007, 7:53am

Hey Nick,

I'm afraid I don't know all the ins and outs of recumbents, like some of these fanatics, but I remember meeting you a couple times when I first joined GDB and wanted to say "hi!"

a.k.a.,  
Mike Schwitzgebel

Lie Back. Ride hard. Grin like a monkey.
WWW   IP Logged
Nick Oliver

Stratus XP

Reply #3 - Aug 26th, 2007, 12:50pm

Yea Mike, I remember seeing you last at the party in Rockwall at Gail Spann's place - good to hear from you again.

Bud_Bent,
I will check out the EZ's appreciate the assist. It gives me a direction.  I have also talked to Paul Brown and he is going to do some checking around for me as well.
thanks
nwo

Email   IP Logged
FlyingLaZBoy

'16 ICE SprintX fs,
'16 Rocket, '12 KHS
Mocha

Reply #4 - Aug 26th, 2007, 6:50pm

Hey, Nick - Good to hear from you!
   Folks, Nick borrowed my EZ1 a year ago, and while it sorta worked for him, it's actually a little small -- the seat was about as far back as I'd want to put it.  I think he needs something like the EZSport that Bud mentioned, or Lynn mentioned a Burley, or maybe a Stratus.
   Anybody know anyone selling something likely for ~$600 or so?

Paul

"A hundred miles on a bike? How many
days does that take you?"

Email FlyingLaZBoy   IP Logged
Opus the Poet
Five Star Member

rbent member

Re: Want to purchase a recumbent
Reply #5 - Aug 27th, 2007, 12:49pm

RANS is making a heavy duty Stratus and V2 for "robust" riders and loaded touring, with a payload+rider limit of 350 lbs. You might want to take a look at oone of those, as the base bike is still pretty light and handy.

Opus

I ride my bike to ride my bike, and sometimes it takes me where I need to go.
Email WWW   IP Logged
Nick Oliver

Stratus XP

Reply #6 - Sep 1st, 2007, 9:58pm

Well, to close out this thread, I purchased a RANS Stratus XP today.  I wanted to try out a lower cost option first, but that did not work out.  I HAVE to get back on a bike though - my health demands it.  So I just bit the bullet and made the purchase.  I went out on it a couple of times today to just get acclimated and so far am very favorably impressed.  I look forward getting my stamina back up and getting some miles under my belt.
nwo

Email   IP Logged
aikigreg

recumbent ninja

Reply #7 - Sep 1st, 2007, 11:32pm

Nick - come out to our club ride on Monday!  My wife wil be doing the 22 mile route, so you could could get some good time going, if you think you might be good for that distance.

I'm in it to Schwinn it.
Email   IP Logged
Nick Oliver

Stratus XP

Reply #8 - Sep 2nd, 2007, 12:41pm

Not sure that I am quite ready for that kind of distance yet. I have been off the bike for a couple of years, so I will probably get some time in on the White Rock Trail and build up my milage.  I am riding around the neighborhood, getting comfortable with the cycle - I did about an hour this morning and will probably go out again this afternoon.  It is getting more and more natural for me. I will be meeting with Paul out here on Monday sometime and I am certain that I will be out on a group ride within two or three weeks.
nwo

Email   IP Logged
FlyingLaZBoy

'16 ICE SprintX fs,
'16 Rocket, '12 KHS
Mocha

Reply #9 - Sep 3rd, 2007, 8:27pm

Yeah, ol' Nick called me up the other night...  So much for the $600 budget!!!   Grin Grin

Terrie and I rode with him for about an hour this morning, tooling around his neighborhood getting in 7.5 miles...  Once he gets everything he needs on the bike, he'll be set.  The rear wheel spokes need tightening (or a rebuild), but that big wheelbase looks just FINE on him.....  

« Last Edit: Sep 3rd, 2007, 8:34pm by FlyingLaZBoy »  

"A hundred miles on a bike? How many
days does that take you?"

Email FlyingLaZBoy   IP Logged
Richard

rbent member

Reply #10 - Sep 4th, 2007, 9:46am

Welome to the forum Nick. You aren' by chance a Linux programmer are you?

Modified Bentech
Bacchetta Corsa

It's aaaliiiiiiiive!
  IP Logged
aikigreg

recumbent ninja

Reply #11 - Sep 4th, 2007, 8:17pm

Well Nick, how do you like the bike?

I'm in it to Schwinn it.
Email   IP Logged
Nick Oliver

Stratus XP

Reply #12 - Sep 5th, 2007, 8:32pm

To all, not necessarily in order - 1. nope, not a linux programmer.  I use linux for whatever utility uses that come in handy, like Snort (Intrusion Detection) and other security related stuff, and for FTP. 2. Yes, I love that bike - it looks like just what I need to finally get some real exercise, though I do need to get it back up to PB&F for that spoke tune up that Paul referred to - I also need some basic supplies, like a mirror, a camelback for the seat back and a pack - various things like that.  The mileage that I have done so far has been pretty easy - I have not had the problems with stamina that I though I would have, though I certainly need to get my leg muscles and knees conditioned up.  I look forward to working the mileage up and getting out on some rides.
nwo

Email   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print