Welcome, Guest. Please Login.
rbent - Recumbent Bike Enthusiasts of North Texas
May 17th, 2024, 2:17am
News: Want to join the rbent Forum? See this thread.
Home Help Search Login

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
CRASHED!  My first wipe out on my Baron (Read 669 times)
MrOverdressed
Five Star Member

rbent member

CRASHED!  My first wipe out on my Baron
Sep 5th, 2007, 4:23pm

Last Saturday at Good Ole White Rock Lake I wiped out my Baron.   It happened 5 minutes into my ride.  I was leaving the Bathhouse area heading south.  There is a slight down hill that is enough of a kicker to get upto around 28MPH.  The road travel’s along the lake until it approaches one of the “Play Chicken” gates.  I passed the gate around 24MPH and began to crank it back up to keep the roadies in my dust.  Next the road does a hard left turn around a building and heads away from the lake.   I was cutting a groove on that turn going 26mph when I noticed that three walkers where shoulder to shoulder across the middle of the road.  Being in a tight turn I didn’t want to try and pass on the outside because I was worried about ditching the bike.  And I couldn’t see if there was any on-coming cars to for it to be safe to pass on the inside.  So I slammed on the brakes.  When the back wheel spun out from under me and I was dumped on to the pavement,  My first thought was concern over what I remembered from Gregs crash and  his (twice) ugly hamburger hiney.   Instinctively I jammed my palms and shoes down and I slid on my back.  The scrapes where minimal.  A silver dollar sized hole wore on one side of my behind that gave me some road rash there.  The other side didn’t get a hole, but I had a carpet burn transferred through the material of my shorts.   I received two gouges on my back, but the upper mesh section of my over-all bibs saved my back from any damage.  You can see the white mesh in the photos.  I went on to complete four 9 miles laps.  I think having the energy of the crash spread out along the length of  my body is what saved me from serious road rash.  Where Greg landed hard on one spot.  

My bike had almost no damage.  My carbon seat is now scraped up a little but its only cosmetic.

Terry
« Last Edit: Sep 5th, 2007, 5:04pm by MrOverdressed »  

Crash_Damage.JPG

Happy Trails! Smiley
Terry Pickl
  IP Logged
Richard

rbent member

Re: CRASHED!  My first wipe out on my Baron
Reply #1 - Sep 5th, 2007, 4:45pm

Glad your OK Terry. Nice holes in the gear.  I have heared some say that recumbents protect you in a crash. Its a lot better to go skidding on your back or buns that flying head first over the handle bars. A good reason to always wear gloves.

Modified Bentech
Bacchetta Corsa

It's aaaliiiiiiiive!
  IP Logged
aikigreg

recumbent ninja

Re: CRASHED!  My first wipe out on my Baron
Reply #2 - Sep 5th, 2007, 6:29pm

whew!  Glad you madeit through ok, and of course, that the bike is unharmed as well!

I'm in it to Schwinn it.
Email   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print