Welcome, Guest. Please Login.
rbent - Recumbent Bike Enthusiasts of North Texas
May 5th, 2024, 9:36pm
News: Want to join the rbent Forum? See this thread.
Home Help Search Login

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Nimbus Tailbox / Tailsock (Read 2865 times)
Bud_Bent

Nimbus Tailbox / Tailsock
Aug 13th, 2007, 6:40pm

As tall as the Nimbus is, it will never be the fastest bike around, but I wanted to make it more aerodynamic, and I'm planning on making a bodysock for it for winter riding. The first step in improving its aerodynamics was the used Windwrap fairing I picked up last month. Next, here's the tailbox I finished for it, today. It's fabric covered coroplast. (Does that handlebar look familiar, Nelson?)

I had bought a closeout tailsock from Terracycle, to use in the summer, and for a pattern for the back half of the bodysock I plan on making. I decided to make the tailbox to go under the tailsock (and later, the bodysock), rather than making a frame for that. Here's the tailsock over the tailbox.

Just for a "before and after" comparison, here's the bike the day I brought it home last year.

« Last Edit: Jul 23rd, 2021, 5:05pm by Bud_Bent »  

Bud
* 2009 RANS F-5 Pro
* 2009 RANS XStream
* 2004 RANS Screamer
My Blog - uneasy-rider.com
WWW   IP Logged
Kwijybow
Five Star Member

mostly a commuter

Re: Nimbus Tailbox / Tailsock
Reply #1 - Aug 13th, 2007, 9:03pm

Most Cool!  You've done alot of work!  How did you paint the frame (is it powder coated?)  I'm looking for a good stripper/powder coater.
I've been missing my Stratus lately.  I'm still waiting for the Kogswell to get here and have a real commuter again.

There no rocket launchers or oil sprayers in there?  With the body sock and wild colors of your tailsock I feel certain combined with your powerful legs you'll be leaving the competition behind and thoroughly confused! Cheesy

Have fun,
Nelson.

Commuter 1Cheesyavidson Impulse
Commuter 2: Motobecane Fixie
Commuter 3: Salsa Journeyman
Recumbent 1: Schlitter Encore 20
recumbent 2: Bacchetta Ti Aero
Email   IP Logged
Bud_Bent

Reply #2 - Aug 13th, 2007, 9:30pm

Quote from Kwijybow on Aug 13th, 2007, 9:03pm:
Most Cool! You've done alot of work! How did you paint the frame (is it powder coated?) I'm looking for a good stripper/powder coater.
I've been missing my Stratus lately. I'm still waiting for the Kogswell to get here and have a real commuter again.

There no rocket launchers or oil sprayers in there? With the body sock and wild colors of your tailsock I feel certain combined with your powerful legs you'll be leaving the competition behind and thoroughly confused! Cheesy

Have fun,
Nelson.

The frame was just sandblasted and dipped in a black oxide tank at work. Powder coating would have been nice, but this is a budget bike all the way.

When I bought the used fairing, its mount was for a Rans riser, and my choppers bars were far too wide for the fairing anyway, so I went to the extra set of bars from the Stratus.

« Last Edit: Aug 13th, 2007, 9:35pm by Bud_Bent »  

Bud
* 2009 RANS F-5 Pro
* 2009 RANS XStream
* 2004 RANS Screamer
My Blog - uneasy-rider.com
WWW   IP Logged
FlyingLaZBoy

'16 ICE SprintX fs,
'16 Rocket, '12 KHS
Mocha