Welcome, Guest. Please Login.
rbent - Recumbent Bike Enthusiasts of North Texas
May 17th, 2024, 4:55am
News: Want to join the rbent Forum? See this thread.
Home Help Search Login

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Any Lightning riders out there? (Read 5663 times)
Dr._Awkward

rbent member

Any Lightning riders out there?
Aug 9th, 2007, 5:26pm

I'm in the market for a new SWB, and keep coming back to Lightning Cycle Dyanmics.  

I've been toying with the idea of getting USS, but may stick with OSS.  If so, I was thinking about either the Phantom or possibly shelling out for a P-38.  

Anyone with first hand experience on either of these?  The P-38 is supposed to be fast, even with its upright riding position.  Does it compare favorably with current high-racers such as the Bachetta?

Thanks,
DA

Lightning Thunderbolt <-- Stolen
Lightning Thunderbolt A10 <-- Stolen
Lightning Phantom (and a much bigger lock!)
  IP Logged
FlyingLaZBoy

'16 ICE SprintX fs,
'16 Rocket, '12 KHS
Mocha

Re: Any Lightning riders out there?
Reply #1 - Aug 9th, 2007, 11:37pm

Lynn Morrow rides a P-38, medium frame.  She's "Artcat" by nickname.  While one might not necessarily classify her as "fast", she moves down the road pretty good, and has done two dozen HHHs!!!  I haven't ridden one more than about 50 feet myself, but I can see the "closed" riding position as being good for climbing purposes!!!

PB

"A hundred miles on a bike? How many
days does that take you?"

Email FlyingLaZBoy   IP Logged
aikigreg

recumbent ninja

Reply #2 - Aug 10th, 2007, 12:14am

I have a year on my P-38, and I'd say it's a wonderful bike.  I can keep up with a paceline that really flies, and power up the hills in short order.  It's everything everyone has said it is.  

It's close, but no cigar, to a highracer.  Bud on his Corsa will beat me by .5 to 1 mile an hour generally.  When I switch to my lowracer that reverses, so the aerodynamics of the highracer definately come into play.  Plus the dual big wheels of the highracer really soaks up the bumps on long stretches of chipseal.  So much so that I'm actually going to add a bit of weight to my p-38 in the form of a suspension fork.  

Thought about trading it out for a corsa, actually, but this should be a more cost effective option.

Feel free to give my p-38 a try sometime if you like.  It's an older one, but still runs great!

I'm in it to Schwinn it.
Email   IP Logged
FooRider

baccheater   '06
Corsa

Reply #3 - Aug 11th, 2007, 1:35pm

I would imagine that the positioning on a P-38 is more comfortable for rides where you do a lot of starting and stopping (still a little awkward on my Corsa, because of my stumpy little legs).  If I can ever manage to sell my Trek and open up a stall in the stable, the P-38 is one of the models I'd look at for cruising the hood with my wife.

Lie Back. Ride hard. Grin like a monkey.
WWW   IP Logged
aikigreg

recumbent ninja

Reply #4 - Aug 11th, 2007, 5:25pm

Quote from FooRider on Aug 11th, 2007, 1:35pm:
I would imagine that the positioning on a P-38 is more comfortable for rides where you do a lot of starting and stopping (still a little awkward on my Corsa, because of my stumpy little legs). If I can ever manage to sell my Trek and open up a stall in the stable, the P-38 is one of the models I'd look at for cruising the hood with my wife.

That's what decided me to keep the p-38.  I commute on it.

I'm in it to Schwinn it.
Email   IP Logged
Urbinrider

rbent member

Reply #5 - Aug 13th, 2007, 9:53pm

since we are talking about lightnings I have a Thunderbolt It increased my average speed but that isn't saying much since I have a disability I have made my own changes to the bike so that I can get the most out of riding it I made it a 24speed it was 21 speed and I put different tires on it. this bike has 26 rear and a 16 front  the next thing I would like to do is put a 20" front wheel like the A10 thunderbolt maybe this winter while I don't ride as much.  

Eddie

Easy Racer Tour Easy got to love it
T W Bents Artifis
  IP Logged
Richard

rbent member

Reply #6 - Aug 14th, 2007, 8:59am

Hey Eddie,

Did you get my PM on forks?

Richard

Modified Bentech
Bacchetta Corsa

It's aaaliiiiiiiive!
  IP Logged
aikigreg

recumbent ninja

Reply #7 - Aug 14th, 2007, 10:50am

Share with us all!  I'm looking to put a suspended fork on mine Smiley  Got any leads?

I'm in it to Schwinn it.
Email   IP Logged
Richard

rbent member

Reply #8 - Aug 14th, 2007, 11:15am

Greg,

I was just telling Eddie that I had modified the Rans aluminum fork already. He was interested in buying it. They have forks on their website for a reasonable price. I have a 20 inch shock fork, 20 inch front and rear wheel and a Rock Shock (dreams of building a suspended bent) that are brand new but salvaged that I have been trying to give away if your interested. I bought a wheel from REI and they flubbed the order. To compensate they let me have any/as many parts as I wanted from their monstrous stock of parts. These parts were from  moutain bikes that had frame recalls. They stripped the parts off of their new bikes and sent the frames back. He said "take what you want most of this will end up in the dumpster". I hauled of an armload of stuff.

Modified Bentech
Bacchetta Corsa

It's aaaliiiiiiiive!
  IP Logged
Opus the Poet
Five Star Member

rbent member

Reply #9 - Aug 14th, 2007, 12:07pm

Quote from Richard on Aug 14th, 2007, 11:15am:
Greg,
They stripped the parts off of their new bikes and sent the frames back. He said "take what you want most of this will end up in the dumpster". I hauled of an armload of stuff.

Agghh! Why didn't anybody tell me about this?

Opus

I ride my bike to ride my bike, and sometimes it takes me where I need to go.
Email WWW   IP Logged
aikigreg

recumbent ninja

Reply #10 - Aug 14th, 2007, 12:35pm

Quote from Richard on Aug 14th, 2007, 11:15am:
Greg,

I was just telling Eddie that I had modified the Rans aluminum fork already. He was interested in buying it. They have forks on their website for a reasonable price. I have a 20 inch shock fork, 20 inch front and rear wheel and a Rock Shock (dreams of building a suspended bent) that are brand new but salvaged that I have been trying to give away if your interested. I bought a wheel from REI and they flubbed the order. To compensate they let me have any/as many parts as I wanted from their monstrous stock of parts. These parts were from moutain bikes that had frame recalls. They stripped the parts off of their new bikes and sent the frames back. He said "take what you want most of this will end up in the dumpster". I hauled of an armload of stuff.

Yes, please!  I'd love the shock fork and wheel if it's not dibbed out already!

« Last Edit: Aug 14th, 2007, 12:46pm by aikigreg »  

I'm in it to Schwinn it.
Email   IP Logged
Richard

rbent member

Reply #11 - Aug 14th, 2007, 1:39pm

Opus,

This was when I was building my bentech about 2 years ago. I didn't know any of you guys then. However, it might be worth a call to REI and see if they would still let you into the stash.

Modified Bentech
Bacchetta Corsa

It's aaaliiiiiiiive!
  IP Logged
Richard

rbent member

Reply #12 - Aug 14th, 2007, 1:42pm

Greg,

I will bring the fork & shock to HHH. If anyone wants the 20" wheelset, I will bring it too.  

Richard

Modified Bentech
Bacchetta Corsa

It's aaaliiiiiiiive!
  IP Logged
aikigreg

recumbent ninja

Reply #13 - Aug 14th, 2007, 4:24pm

Richard, I'll take the front off the set too, if that's ok.  The current wheel I have is a 17, so it won't fit the new fork.

I'm in it to Schwinn it.
Email   IP Logged
Dr._Awkward

rbent member

Reply #14 - Aug 19th, 2007, 10:58pm

Well,  

I'm going to go to Plano Cycling and try some of the high-racers.  I'm only 5 7", and so I might see if they have a Corsa 24".  If they don't, or I don't like the dual 26", I may just pick up one of the phantoms they have at RBM and put a 20" wheel on the front.  

I thought about a Giro 20, but I'd been happy with the Lightnings, and they seem a little lighter.

-DA

Lightning Thunderbolt <-- Stolen
Lightning Thunderbolt A10 <-- Stolen
Lightning Phantom (and a much bigger lock!)
  IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print