Welcome, Guest. Please Login.
rbent - Recumbent Bike Enthusiasts of North Texas
May 21st, 2024, 5:42pm
News: Want to join the rbent Forum? See this thread.
Home Help Search Login

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Rio Vista Rumble 200k Permanent Brevet (Read 799 times)
Bud_Bent

Rio Vista Rumble 200k Permanent Brevet
Aug 5th, 2007, 5:51pm

It was a good turnout for this permanent. A group of 25 or so rolled out of Lynn Creek Marina this morning at 7:00 am. This route first runs south from Joe Pool Lake to Venus. I was surprised at how bad these roads have become.  I rode these roads quite a bit last year, and they did not have as many gravel spots, and holes as they do now.

From Venus, the route turns west, going through Rio Vista, then turning south through Blum, and taking a more southerly route back through Maypearl and Midlothian. I ended up with a group of five strong riders, which included Val and Robin, Shellene, Clay, and Sharon. As expected, it was hot and humid, with a pretty stiff southwest wind that we fought until we made the turn at Blum.

I felt great most of the way, but the pace of this group took its toll, and I seemed to hit the wall between Maypearl and Midlothian, at about mile 105. About this same time, Sharon, seeing that she was going to have her best 200k time, by quite a bit, picked up the pace. This strung out the group a bit, and I could no longer match the pace, and was dropped. I kept the group in sight most of the time, and on one downhill just south of Midlothian, actually made brief contact with the group again. But, I could not stay with the group, and by the time the group turned from the Hwy 67 service road onto Lake Ridge Parkway, I was a good half mile behind.

I just typed the magic phrase: "Lake Ridge Parkway". Going down these big hills, I blasted past the entire group. The gas tank was pretty much still empty, so predictably, the group caught me on the flat part of Lake Ridge. Val proceded to lecture me on how uncool it was to drop the group. I was like "HUH???" I never did manage to understand why it was ok for a rider to pick up the pace at mile 105 and drop me, but not ok for me to pass the group at mile 120, knowing they would catch me shortly afterward, so I wasn't a happy camper at the end.

I ended up with 125.6 miles and 3600 feet of climbing. My on the bike average was 17.0 mph. Official ride time was 8:06.

« Last Edit: Aug 6th, 2007, 9:09am by Bud_Bent »  

Bud
* 2009 RANS F-5 Pro
* 2009 RANS XStream
* 2004 RANS Screamer
My Blog - uneasy-rider.com
WWW   IP Logged
Kwijybow
Five Star Member

mostly a commuter

Re: Rio Vista Rumble 200k Permanent Brevet
Reply #1 - Aug 5th, 2007, 6:31pm

Sorry to hear about the lecture from Val, wonder what that was about.  On our OK is OK several guys including Dan and Mark went hard before the Leonard Hills leaving the group behind, Val went by me chasing very hard and turned around near the top of the hills when it was obvious he wasn't catching, and Robin was still back.  As fate would have it Dan flatted on the downhill after the climbs and I believe everybody regrouped.  But I do know from things Val has said in the past that he came for a very competitive group up in Colorado and maybe he's just sensitive anout perceived attacks.  That said I know as a bent going down hill I will continue to pass groups whenever possible because I sure don't see them waiting on the uphills.  25 is a great turnout, everybody who rode Saturday must have come and then a few more.  Also 8:06 is a great time especially in the heat, great job Bud.  If you're coming next weekend to Italy I think we bents will outnumber the uprights.  Dennis Cook is coming on his Kogswell, but other than that I only know about Ray and me.  

Take Care,
Nelson.

Commuter 1Cheesyavidson Impulse
Commuter 2: Motobecane Fixie
Commuter 3: Salsa Journeyman
Recumbent 1: Schlitter Encore 20
recumbent 2: Bacchetta Ti Aero
Email   IP Logged
bikerteam
Five Star Member

Exceed Your
Limitations

Reply #2 - Aug 6th, 2007, 10:41am

Hey Nelson,

I was leaning towards riding my Seven v.s. my Aero for this Saturday's 200k.  Primarily because all my lights are still mounted on the Seven from the recent night time Brevet, and I have the Aero set up 'race ready'.  

Dennis Cook called me this morning and asked what bikes we were going to ride.  I'm pretty sure it would have scared him away if I said we both were riding our bents, so I told him that he would see me on the DF. He also asked if I would pick him up Saturday morning.  Of course that means about an hour added driving, as I have to backtrack from Flower Mound to NRH, but Dennis is well worth it !!!

If anyone else wants to ride the 200k Prairie Hill Roundup leaving from Italy at 7am this Saturday, please call me so I can print sufficient cards and cue sheets.

Ray Torrey
817-975-8638

Ray Torrey
Email   IP Logged
Kwijybow
Five Star Member

mostly a commuter

Reply #3 - Aug 6th, 2007, 11:17am

Ahh Parity Then...  Of course I sure hope we don't need our lights!  It'll be good to see Dennis again. Smiley

Trying to get in as many miles as possible on the Bacchetta before the Tejas TTT.

Commuter 1Cheesyavidson Impulse
Commuter 2: Motobecane Fixie
Commuter 3: Salsa Journeyman
Recumbent 1: Schlitter Encore 20
recumbent 2: Bacchetta Ti Aero
Email   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print