Welcome, Guest. Please Login.
rbent - Recumbent Bike Enthusiasts of North Texas
May 12th, 2024, 12:54pm
News: Want to join the rbent Forum? See this thread.
Home Help Search Login

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
The Experiment (Read 3505 times)
Bud_Bent

The Experiment
Aug 2nd, 2007, 9:37pm

On this hot, but finally rain free, evening, I rode the Texas Wheels Thursday evening club ride. It was a small turnout, with just 12 riders. I did 28.3 miles at an average of 19.7 mph. That's just .1 mph less than my best average on this ride, but comparisons to my other Texas Wheels evening ride averages aren't really valid, and I probably wouldn't even be doing a report on this ride if it weren't for The Experiment.

For some time now, I have been considering trying to engineer a setup that would let me adjust my Corsa's seat height on the fly. I really enjoy my aerodynamic laid back position on the Corsa, but a more upright position would be better for climbing, and if you could instantly adjust the seat, you could have both. I believe I have figured out enough about small pneumatic cylinders to let me create an instant adjust system, and I've ordered the parts. Shortly after I made the order, it occurred to me that I should have tested on a known ride with a more upright seat position for comparison, before I ordered anything (DOH!!!). I figured, better late than never, and before tonight's ride, I raised the seat three holes on the seat stays. That's 1 1/2 inches, which is the adjustment total the pneumatic cylinders should give me, and WAY more than you would ordinarily adjust a seat at once, but I wanted to try this known hilly ride at the potential maximum position of the instant adjust setup. It was an interesting ride, but there are three major reasons why comparing this ride to my other Texas Wheels rides doesn't mean much:

1. I forgot my heart rate sensor tonight. The best comparison would have been a combination of speed versus heart rate on each of the seat positions. Without my heart rate sensor, that comparison was out the window.

2. I have been doing this ride on Tuesday evenings for several weeks. I've not been well recovered from weekend riding on those Tuesdays, so my average has been down. This week, I rode on Thursday, and since I wasn't able to ride either Tuesday or Wednesday, my only ride this week was a slow ride Monday with Rose. I was well recovered today.

3. Mockingbird Road, part of the usual route, has had the pavement stripped off, and is gravel. I am unwilling to ride this gravel stretch, and adjusted the route because of it. I ended up with 3 1/2 miles less than usual, and rode some different roads.

Despite not being able to do very direct comparisons, there were lots of interesting things from the evening. First, I was too close to the pedals after making this much seat adjustment. I expected that; when you raise the seat, you need to slide it back. But, if my instant adjust system does actually work (notice how confident I sound), it won't allow any sliding adjustments, so I decided I would live with being too close to the pedals this evening, and made no sliding adjustment.  

The next big surprise was the first part of the ride with the peloton down Lake Ridge Parkway. I immediately realized I liked the upright position for paceline riding. The biggest thing I haven't liked about paceline riding is the fact that, in my usual position, if I'm as close to the rider in front of me as I should be, I can't see the road. This makes it difficult to see and dodge road cracks and holes. In this upright position, I could actually see the road under the rider in front of me, and better avoid things. Being less aerodynamic in this position means nothing in a paceline anyway, so if I create the system, this will be my peloton riding position.

There is no doubt that this position is better for climbing, and got me up hills faster. I often get dropped on the first hill. I had no problem staying with the paceline tonight. On Texas Plume hill, not only did I keep several riders in sight, I actually passed one while still climbing Texas Plume. Less than a mile after Texas Plume, on the first decent downhill (on Mt Lebanon Road, just past the Hwy 67 underpass), I passed 5 of the other riders. I have never caught that many riders that soon after Texas Plume. I never did catch the other 5 riders (no miracles tonight). I turned off to avoid Mockingbird Road, so I don't know if any of the 6 riders I passed would have caught me on the long inclines in that part of the ride, or not.

If I was faster going up the hills, I was definitely slower at the end of the ride on Lake Ride Parkway. This is 6 1/2 miles of flats and downhills, and is where I usually shine. Jerry Austin admitted that on the Tuesday before last ride, he spent this entire 6 1/2 miles trying to catch me, and couldn't do it. This is the same Jerry Austin who had to slow down enough on the last 50 miles of my first 200k so that I could keep up with him. But tonight, I was 2 mph slower on this stretch. There is usually a south tailwind on this stretch, and tonight there was no wind at all, so I think the average difference would probably be more like 1 mph.

Being closer to the pedals made it hard to pull on the pedals, and gave me more of a tendency to mash. My left leg always wants to cramp if I mash too much, and it kept tightening tonight. I struggled so much trying to pull, the back of my legs were trying to cramp, too. I got the feeling that this position gave me the potential to produce a lot more power, but I was unable to take advantage of it. Seeing how strong I felt on the hills, but how much I lost aerodynamically on the flats, makes me think this experiment is worth pursuing. Stay tuned...

« Last Edit: Aug 2nd, 2007, 9:44pm by Bud_Bent »  

Bud
* 2009 RANS F-5 Pro
* 2009 RANS XStream
* 2004 RANS Screamer
My Blog - uneasy-rider.com
WWW   IP Logged
FlyingLaZBoy

'16 ICE SprintX fs,
'16 Rocket, '12 KHS
Mocha

Re: The Experiment
Reply #1 - Aug 2nd, 2007, 9:53pm

It's alive..  it's ALIIIIIIIVVVVVVVVVVVEEEEEEEEEEEE!!!!!!!!!!!!!1      Grin

"A hundred miles on a bike? How many
days does that take you?"

Email FlyingLaZBoy   IP Logged
robert.j

rbent member

Reply #2 - Aug 2nd, 2007, 11:34pm

Must be an engineer!

Robert Johnson
Bacchetta Corsa
Ventana Mtn Bike
Barcroft Columbia Tandem
Sun EZ1
1970ish French Roold
Email   IP Logged
FlyingLaZBoy

'16 ICE SprintX fs,
'16 Rocket, '12 KHS
Mocha

Reply #3 - Aug 3rd, 2007, 8:36am

I wonder if it would be legal for TTTT to be able to divert compressed air to rocket nozzles out the back...   Wink

However, Bud, please explain again how you're going to lock the seat into the upright position sturdy enough to be able to push back against it, yet be able to do a hands-free release to lower it to another locked base position?

« Last Edit: Aug 3rd, 2007, 8:38am by FlyingLaZBoy »  

"A hundred miles on a bike? How many
days does that take you?"

Email FlyingLaZBoy   IP Logged
Bud_Bent

Reply #4 - Aug 3rd, 2007, 9:18am

Quote from FlyingLaZBoy on Aug 3rd, 2007, 8:36am:
I wonder if it would be legal for TTTT to be able to divert compressed air to rocket nozzles out the back...   Wink

However, Bud, please explain again how you're going to lock the seat into the upright position sturdy enough to be able to push back against it, yet be able to do a hands-free release to lower it to another locked base position?

It won't be hands free. I'll be using this valve:

on my handlebars to operate this pneumatic cylinder:

on the seat stays. It looks like air in the cylinder won't be solid enough, so I'm going to try filling it with oil. It should be fun trying to fill a 5/32" hose with oil. I'll use a spring to raise the seat, while using the handlebars to raise myself off it, and my own dead weight to lower the seat back down.

« Last Edit: Aug 3rd, 2007, 9:20am by Bud_Bent »  

Bud
* 2009 RANS F-5 Pro
* 2009 RANS XStream
* 2004 RANS Screamer
WWW   IP Logged
Kwijybow
Five Star Member

mostly a commuter

Reply #5 - Aug 3rd, 2007, 3:07pm

Just as long as it doesn't start spewing oil out the back, and you don't start equiping with a rocket launcher James Bond style. Grin

« Last Edit: Aug 3rd, 2007, 3:07pm by Kwijybow »  

Commuter 1Cheesyavidson Impulse
Commuter 2: Motobecane Fixie
Commuter 3: Salsa Journeyman
Recumbent 1: Schlitter Encore 20
recumbent 2: Bacchetta Ti Aero
Email   IP Logged
Bud_Bent

Reply #6 - Aug 3rd, 2007, 5:39pm

That's ok, y'all. People laughed at Thomas Edison, Alexander Graham Bell, and all the great inventors.

I do seem to have too many bike projects going, though. Did I tell you about the coroplast tailbox I'm making for the Nimbus?

Bud
* 2009 RANS F-5 Pro
* 2009 RANS XStream
* 2004 RANS Screamer
WWW   IP Logged
Killer Bee
Five Star Member

CA2.0 proto type

Reply #7 - Aug 3rd, 2007, 5:44pm

Quote from Bud_Bent on Aug 3rd, 2007, 5:39pm:
That's ok, y'all. People laughed at Thomas Edison, Alexander Graham Bell, and all the great inventors.

Did I tell you about the coroplast tailbox I'm making for the Nimbus?

What did you call me???   Just kiddin',Bud. Have fun with your "colorplast tailbox". And I thought this was a PG rated forum?!

I like carbon fiber
Email   IP Logged
Bud_Bent

Reply #8 - Aug 4th, 2007, 6:04pm

Quote from Strada177 on Aug 3rd, 2007, 5:44pm:
Have fun with your "colorplast tailbox". And I thought this was a PG rated forum?!

Coroplast is corrugated plastic, the "poor man" hpv builder's version of carbon fiber.

Bud
* 2009 RANS F-5 Pro
* 2009 RANS XStream
* 2004 RANS Screamer
WWW   IP Logged
Opus the Poet
Five Star Member

rbent member

Reply #9 - Aug 7th, 2007, 12:03pm

You can see a couple of acres of coro in my avatar picture, on the back of the bike.

Opus

I ride my bike to ride my bike, and sometimes it takes me where I need to go.
Email WWW   IP Logged
aikigreg

recumbent ninja

Reply #10 - Aug 8th, 2007, 8:45pm

You are the coolest person I know.  I don't know wether this is something should actually ADMIT.   Grin

I'm in it to Schwinn it.
Email   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print