Welcome, Guest. Please Login.
rbent - Recumbent Bike Enthusiasts of North Texas
May 21st, 2024, 9:59am
News: Want to join the rbent Forum? See this thread.
Home Help Search Login

Pages: 1 
Send Topic Print
Horse Country Time Trial (Read 5682 times)
aikigreg

recumbent ninja

Horse Country Time Trial
Jun 23rd, 2007, 2:47pm

To set the stage - this was a fairly hardcore group of racers, and it was intimidating being in the lineup.  First, there were many Cat ranked riders there, including several members of the colavita team, RBM and Plano Cycling teams, etc.  Second, everyone kept telling me to put my number on my back like I was some kind of newbie - which I was, but I *DID* put the number where they could see it!   Cheesy  Just my being there created a bit of a buzz, and all the people I passed on the course were appreciative of my speed - which I don't think was very much.

First the results:  I finished first (out of 1 riders in my category)   Grin    I got a sweet sweet medal to display.  Now the real results:  Had I been allowed into the men's open category, I would have finished 19th out of 42 men's riders.  For my first ever TT, I'll take it.  Total time was 32.19 for the 20k.  Can anyone give me the formula for computing MPH average from that?

Here's a routesslip of the course so you can see the elevation.  It was all up and down - there were no flats at all.  http://www.routeslip.com/routes/27618.  Not what you would consider the optimal course for recumbents.  Not to mention the hardcore chipseal, which negates  alarge part of my potential speed - especially on the downhills.

Cheers and Jeers:

Cheers:
1.  Having a recumbent category.  There is little racing open to bents in an organized format, and there should be.  Very accepting and visionary to allow bents and tandems at the TT.  Hopefully others will follow suit as the words that bents can be fast gets out.  
2.  Facilities were great - I appreciate bathrooms and an air-conditioned building!
3.  Friendly people volunteering and running the event - very easy to deal with.
4.  Goodie bags and fruit/liquid.  I hadn't expected these and they were a nice bonus.
5.  Cleanest course I've ever seen.  Not even a hint of gravel.
6.  The flaggers who stopped traffic at the turnaround and the side roads.  Thanks for keeping us safer.

Jeers:
1.  The police officer that pulled me over while I was warming up was a nutter.  He tells me that bikes are illegal off the shoulder, and makes up all these bizarre road rules that honestly don't exist. .  I didn't argue - I stayed on the shoulder the whole race, which had the worst chipseal known to man.  Meanwhile, the two guys that passed me during the race never touched the shoulder and rode the smooth road the entire time.  I could have broken the 30 minute mark had I disobeyed THE MAN.  I ride with a mirror and am fully capable of pulling off the road for a car.  This same officer blared his siren at me during the race as well, when I was on the white line trying to avoid what I thought was an object in the road.  Unprofessional and scared me to death.  Not to mentioned getting pulled over by a cop unnerves you.

2.  The start time.  I can deal with late no problem, but the official rules said no bikes on the course after 8:45.  An announcement of a late start would have been nice so that I could have stayed warm after recovering from the shock the police gave me.  

3.  Have a flyer of info for start/stop positions.  People had made it seem like we were starting uphil instead of on the flat and on a turn.  with my style bike that can make a big difference in choosing how I start.  And the fact that the volunteers at the start had no clue where exactly the start/finish was, was just annoying.

4.   This will sound like sour grapes but isn't - the awards.  The website said recumbent/juniors, and tandems would get medals and ribbons only.   Then at the awards you gave prizes to the juniors and I think the tandem as well, but nothing to the recumbent category.  Instead items were given away as door prizes - several of whom had already received awards.  Again, not trying to sound like sour grapes, because this was my least nitpick, but you said at the awards you wanted suggestions on how to make everything go smoothly next time.

5.  Last, Big jeers to myself.  i could have done a lot better at this event, and should have.  Hadn't ridden a bike in 3 weeks, got 4 hours of sleep MAYBE, and was inadequately hydrated - most of which I could have avoided.  I didn't ride as hard or efficiently as I could have.  I should hever have been passed, period.  Not when the guys behind me started at least 30 seconds after I did.

I would love to come back to the Time Trial, but I'd dearly love the shoulder/road situation sorted out.   It was quite disheartening to endure the bumps in the chipseal when getting blown away by guys riding on the road.

I'm in it to Schwinn it.
Email   IP Logged
Bud_Bent

Re: Horse Country Time Trial
Reply #1 - Jun 23rd, 2007, 6:03pm

Dang, sounds like you had your fair share of trials and tribulations. Do you suppose the cop is just anti-recumbent?

You really need to know the exact distance of the 20k to figure your mph average. If it was 12 miles, that would be 22.6 mph.

I debated long and hard between doing this hilly time trial or getting a root canal. It was a close call, but I finally decided on the root canal (well, actually I just rode elsewhere).

Bud
* 2009 RANS F-5 Pro
* 2009 RANS XStream
* 2004 RANS Screamer
My Blog - uneasy-rider.com
WWW   IP Logged
Richard

rbent member

Reply #2 - Jun 23rd, 2007, 10:15pm

Maybe the man was trying to sweeten the field for his biker buds. Can't have no bent runnin down no roadies by cracky. "You aint from around here are ya boy". Thats all right, on an even playing field you would have scare the pee out of them.

Modified Bentech
Bacchetta Corsa

It's aaaliiiiiiiive!
  IP Logged
aikigreg

recumbent ninja

Reply #3 - Jun 23rd, 2007, 10:22pm

I doubt it was anti-bent sentiment.  Just a good old boy.  And regardless of my trials, the fact was that I sucked hard.  I should have had more than a 22mph average for a measly 12.43 miles.

Although it was pretty reminiscent of the Texas Time Trial Course in difficulty, so in that respect a 22mph average is promising.  But I still shoulda been faster.

I'm in it to Schwinn it.
Email   IP Logged
Kwijybow
Five Star Member

mostly a commuter

Reply #4 - Jun 24th, 2007, 3:59am

The prize thing is my fault as I when I lobbied Kevin to include the bents I told him I wasn't looking for prizes just the ability to have a run and be included at all. I figured the bent category would be small and have trouble covering the expenses for a prize via the extra entries it would bring. I really appreciate the efforts that Kevin has gone too to put on this event, and hopefully enough money was made to cover expenses so he will be able to put on the rest!  

Greg great result!  Like you said they were a lot of very good people there!  Next month I hope to increase the bent representation by at least one.

Commuter 1Cheesyavidson Impulse
Commuter 2: Motobecane Fixie
Commuter 3: Salsa Journeyman
Recumbent 1: Schlitter Encore 20
recumbent 2: Bacchetta Ti Aero
Email   IP Logged
aikigreg

recumbent ninja

Reply #5 - Jun 24th, 2007, 11:31am

Quote from Kwijybow on Jun 24th, 2007, 3:59am:
The prize thing is my fault as I when I lobbied Kevin to include the bents I told him I wasn't looking for prizes just the ability to have a run and be included at all. I figured the bent category would be small and have trouble covering the expenses for a prize via the extra entries it would bring. I really appreciate the efforts that Kevin has gone too to put on this event, and hopefully enough money was made to cover expenses so he will be able to put on the rest!

Greg great result! Like you said they were a lot of very good people there! Next month I hope to increase the bent representation by at least one.

I agree - like I said, I wasn't upset that I didn't get something, but I was instead suggesting it as a better alternative to just throwing stuff out into the crowd.   I was very glad to see the juniors get prizes.  The kid who won was talking to me before the race about how cool my bike was, and I returned the favor.  He was riding a small frame steel schwinn that had had downtube shifters, but been converted into a tri bike through aero trispoke wheels and aerobars/bullhorns.  He was a nice kid and deserved a prize.  

By the way, folks, some of the prizes were 75 dollar gift certificates and sweat gutrs and free streak dinners and such.  Good prizes and if we gets enough bents, there may be prizes included for us.  Hopefuly we can get the police issue worked out.

I'm in it to Schwinn it.
Email   IP Logged
Kwijybow
Five Star Member

mostly a commuter

Reply #6 - Jun 24th, 2007, 7:22pm

Our resident low racer stud!

http://commiebiker.smugmug.com/gallery/3045557/333/165786298#165814493

Looks fast!

Email   IP Logged
FooRider

baccheater   '06
Corsa

Reply #7 - Jun 24th, 2007, 7:31pm

Awesome shot.  Gotta love a photographer who's mastered the art of panning.

Lie Back. Ride hard. Grin like a monkey.
WWW   IP Logged
aikigreg

recumbent ninja

Reply #8 - Jun 24th, 2007, 9:22pm

Dang - that photog made me look GOOD!

I'm in it to Schwinn it.
Email   IP Logged
DallasBikr

rbent member

Reply #9 - Jun 25th, 2007, 8:59am

Good morning Smiley

Was it the sherrif or the Aubrey police that hassled you?  We'll get that sorted out and "rules of Hwy 428" published/available before the next one.  I've had two comments about agressive law enforcement.

Bike Mart came in late with the gift cards and specified where most of them go.  Recumbent was not one they forced.  The "throwing" prizes into the crowd was due to me completely forgetting to make up a list of names to draw from, so we had to fake it embarrassed

Your list is fantastic, and I will review each item again if we decide to hit it again (which we are leaning towards, depending on sponsorship).  

BTW...the routeslip link had elevation, satellite image of the course, etc.  Everything but the chipseal, which I mentioned on the flyer.  Denton county has MUCH WORSE chipseal than what we rode on, so this wasn't nearly as rough as it could get.

Thank you for coming, and for the honest feedback Smiley

DB

WWW DallasBikr   IP Logged
aikigreg

recumbent ninja

Reply #10 - Jun 25th, 2007, 10:54am

Quote from DallasBikr on Jun 25th, 2007, 8:59am:
Good morning Smiley

Was it the sherrif or the Aubrey police that hassled you? We'll get that sorted out and "rules of Hwy 428" published/available before the next one. I've had two comments about agressive law enforcement.

Bike Mart came in late with the gift cards and specified where most of them go. Recumbent was not one they forced. The "throwing" prizes into the crowd was due to me completely forgetting to make up a list of names to draw from, so we had to fake it embarrassed

Your list is fantastic, and I will review each item again if we decide to hit it again (which we are leaning towards, depending on sponsorship).

BTW...the routeslip link had elevation, satellite image of the course, etc. Everything but the chipseal, which I mentioned on the flyer. Denton county has MUCH WORSE chipseal than what we rode on, so this wasn't nearly as rough as it could get.

Thank you for coming, and for the honest feedback Smiley

DB

Thanks for listening!  You mean that chipseal can get *WORSE*?  As for the officer, it was the dusty brown uniform, if that helps.  I was too frazzled to notice the badge closely like I should have.   The siren blaring continuously plus his attitude really got me frazzled.  He's lucky I didn't try to outrun him! Smiley

Anyway, get me off the chipseal and I'm a lock for upcoming events.  I'm happy to move off to the shoulder when traffic is behind, but we should be allowed on the road.

I'm in it to Schwinn it.
Email   IP Logged
DallasBikr

rbent member

Reply #11 - Jun 25th, 2007, 11:03am

By TX law I agree.  The Aubrey officer that had issues with some riders was that they were "impeding" traffic.  His definition is that the second a car had to move or hit the brakes, the bike is impeding.  He also claimed that anything going slower than 10 miles less than the speed limit (which is 55-60) should be on the shoulder.

I will resolve the issue with teh sherrif you had.  The turnaround sherrif seemed fairly easy to work with.

And yes...by Aubrey standards, that is SMOOTH chipseal  Grin

aikigreg

recumbent ninja

Reply #12 - Jun 25th, 2007, 12:34pm

Quote from DallasBikr on Jun 25th, 2007, 11:03am:
By TX law I agree. The Aubrey officer that had issues with some riders was that they were "impeding" traffic. His definition is that the second a car had to move or hit the brakes, the bike is impeding. He also claimed that anything going slower than 10 miles less than the speed limit (which is 55-60) should be on the shoulder.

I will resolve the issue with teh sherrif you had. The turnaround sherrif seemed fairly easy to work with.

And yes...by Aubrey standards, that is SMOOTH chipseal Grin

Yeah, that's the guy.  I did have two cars come up behind me, one of which was the officer.  I began to move onto the shoulder in a SAFE manner as the car behind me safely passed.  That's when he pulled me over, sirens blazing.  I was going about 35mph, so I wasn't exactly turtleing along.  I bet had it been farm equipment at 10mph he wouldnt have said a word.  Told me a car should never have to pass a cyclist for any reason, and I was creating a dangerous situation for cars on a "Texas interstate" (it's a farm road)

I didn't even try to debate TX cycling law though.  I know better and I figured I'd tell you about it and you could get it handled.  Thanks for your efforts!

I'm in it to Schwinn it.
Email   IP Logged
Richard

rbent member

Reply #13 - Jun 25th, 2007, 1:57pm

Hey Greg,

That pic of you from commiebiker was very cool. There you are hammering away, your face is perfectly clear and your feet are a blur!

Modified Bentech
Bacchetta Corsa

It's aaaliiiiiiiive!
  IP Logged
FlyingLaZBoy

'16 ICE SprintX fs,
'16 Rocket, '12 KHS
Mocha

Reply #14 - Jun 25th, 2007, 3:56pm

Hmmm, this isn't good... Highway 428 is what we were proposing the Casual group use going from Celina to Aubrey on July 7th....

"A hundred miles on a bike? How many
days does that take you?"

Email FlyingLaZBoy   IP Logged
DallasBikr

rbent member

Reply #15 - Jun 25th, 2007, 5:20pm

That's a different section of 428.  Last time I rode it, it was freshly chipseal, no shoulder and I swore I would not ride it again.  At the time (and things may have changed), it was so rough it made my TT course look like glass.

Kwijybow
Five Star Member

mostly a commuter

Horse Country Time Trial 07/28/2007
Reply #16 - Jul 28th, 2007, 2:02pm

Hi Folks,  

I was the sole bent representation this month at the IC3 HC TT.  Let give a big Thank you to Kevin for having such a great event!  Kevin said about 50 folks came this month, and I saw some of the fast people there.  Shane Densmore (sp?) set a blistering low 26-minute time.  I remember him from last years Royce City TT's where I think he won nearly every edition.  I was way off that, but felt pretty good about turning in a 31:46.  Have to see where that finishes up, probably 2/3 of the way through the men’s field.  The outbound leg was considerably faster for me, as I hit 38.8 mph in the first mile and caught my 30-second Lady about the same time.  The same hill ate my lunch coming back, and there is a lot of room for improvement in the last 2 miles, and my turn around was pretty sloppy as well.  I was pleased to see that the competition did allow me to get my heart rate up where it needs to be, hitting a max of 180 and an average of 170.  I sure encourage you guys to come out.  I unexpectedly was awarded a $50 gift certificate to RBM for first place bent, as well as getting some bar tape for a door prize, and a really nice looking medal.  There were lots of really nice door prizes, and enough of them that just about everybody who stuck around for the awards got something nice.    

Take Care,  
Nelson.

« Last Edit: Jul 28th, 2007, 2:06pm by Kwijybow »  

Email   IP Logged
FlyingLaZBoy

'16 ICE SprintX fs,
'16 Rocket, '12 KHS
Mocha

Reply #17 - Jul 28th, 2007, 9:17pm

Congrats, Nelson, way to represent...   I was putting in a metric with the Airport Ride today, skirting the early morning rain...   I'll put it on the calendar for August!

"A hundred miles on a bike? How many
days does that take you?"

Email FlyingLaZBoy   IP Logged
DallasBikr

rbent member

Reply #18 - Jul 29th, 2007, 1:02pm

Full results:

http://www.3nf-inc.com/IC3/HCTT/Results/2007/HCTT_2007_July_Results.pdf

Definitely need more bents out there next time Smiley

31.46 was 27th in the Upright open (men).  My best time ever is 37:49 Sad

DB

Kwijybow
Five Star Member

mostly a commuter

Reply #19 - Jul 29th, 2007, 10:56pm

Kevin,

If you get to do it as a race with clip-ons, a TT bike, or better yet a recumbent! you'll definitely peel several minutes off that, I think I took 4 minutes off what I did in practice vs. a race.

I really enjoyed getting to ride the TT Kevin, thanks for setting up a recumbent category. Smiley

I now have something to aim to improve upon for next month, and hopefully Paul, and Greg will be able  to come out next month.  Hey Bud, Steve, and Ray hope you can come as well it would be good practice for the TTTT. That would be a crowd of bents! Cheesy

Take Care,
Nelson.

Email   IP Logged
Richard

rbent member

Reply #20 - Jul 30th, 2007, 8:55am

Way to go Nelson! You guys can bring the heat. Thanks for representing recumbents!

Richard

Modified Bentech
Bacchetta Corsa

It's aaaliiiiiiiive!
  IP Logged
aikigreg

recumbent ninja

Reply #21 - Aug 8th, 2007, 10:36am

Beautiful!  If Kevin gets the august one going, You can I can duke it out!

I'm in it to Schwinn it.
Email   IP Logged
DallasBikr

rbent member

Reply #22 - Aug 8th, 2007, 10:47am

Quote from aikigreg on Aug 8th, 2007, 10:36am:
Beautiful!  If Kevin gets the august one going, You can I can duke it out!

IF?

http://www.bikereg.com/events/register.asp?eventid=5182

Grin

Kwijybow
Five Star Member

mostly a commuter

Reply #23 - Aug 8th, 2007, 1:15pm

All signed up, I guess I'll get to go pretty early, hope that means less hot.

Take Care,
Nelson.

Email   IP Logged
Pages: 1 
Send Topic Print