Welcome, Guest. Please Login.
rbent - Recumbent Bike Enthusiasts of North Texas
May 21st, 2024, 9:46am
News: Want to join the rbent Forum? See this thread.
Home Help Search Login

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Tour de Paris (7/21/07, Paris, TX) (Read 4717 times)
FooRider

baccheater   '06
Corsa

Tour de Paris (7/21/07, Paris, TX)
Jul 22nd, 2007, 9:30am

The 90-mile drive to Paris in the pre-dawn hour was a little spooky because of heavy fog along the way, but the day dawned sunny and clear.  I rolled into the Paris High School parking lot at a little after 7am, started unloading my gear, and immediately started streaming sweat.  As I was preparing to leave the house, I couldn't decide between a short-sleeved jersey and a sleeveless one.  I was glad I'd brought both.

At a little after 7:30, I'd finished with my preparations—sunblock, HRM, bike assembled—and gave The Stradas a call.  They were still about 15 minutes from the high school and unlikely to be ready to go by start time, so I went ahead and  began making my way toward the starting line.  

A few minutes before 8:00, the organizers made a few remarks and then handed the microphone over to a gentleman introduced as Lance Armstrong's dad.  He went on for a couple minutes about how the Tour de France didn't hold quite the same interest for him as it had in years past.  The riders laughed, but I was distracted.  I seemed to recall that Lance didn't have any kind of relationship with his father and referred to him as "the DNA donor."  It seemed rather... uninformed for the Tour de Paris organizers to have this guy as a special guest when Lance Armstrong didn't even acknowledge him.  Turns out I was the uninformed one, though.  When I got home, I looked it up and discovered Terry Armstrong is Lance's step-father—and one who's obviously quite proud of his adopted son, at that.

Aaanyway... we got off promptly at 8:00, and because I'd managed to find a spot toward the front of the group, I had very little of the claustrophobia I experienced last year, at the start.  Last year, I was toward the back with all the wobblies; this year, I was up with the hammerheads.  We took off, and most of the folks around me coalesced into several pace lines.  Those who didn't rode in a predictably, orderly fashion, and in no time at all I was in clear air.  At least, I was in clear air until I caught up with one of the pace lines, which was writhing back and forth across the entire width of the lane.  So I passed them.  And then I passed another.  I finished the first 10 miles with an average speed of 21 mph.

Between miles 10 and 20, the pace lines reeled me in again.  As they passed, one of the guys smirked and said, "Guess you're not as as fast as you thought, huh?"  I told him that I reckoned I could keep up the pace just fine, if I'd been sitting on and sucking wheel all day, instead of going it alone.  He just grunted and sucked on past.

When I made my first stop at mile 30, I had an average of 20.4 mph, but it was starting to heat up.  The roads were rougher than I'd remembered them from last year, and I'd come to the realization that I might have mismanaged my resources on the first half.  I hung around at the stop for longer than I normally would have done, hoping to hook up with the bunch of RBENT folks I thought were supposed to be in attendance.  Corsa Ken arrived after a bit, but no sign of The Stradas or anyone else, so I took off before my legs got any stiffer.

I could tell I was fading.  Though there were no serious climbs on the route (and no rollers of consequence until we hit Rt. 19), my legs felt rubbery on every incline.  I went into conservation mode, spinning more and tucking everything in on the slight downhills to get aero and conserve energy.  Still, I must have been doing better than some people.  Somewhere around mile 35, I picked up a tail and towed a very fit-looking young fellow on a cyclocross bike for about 5 miles before he peeled off at a rest stop.  He expressed his appreciation but never offered to take a pull.  The moral?  Don't let any DF rider tell you that he can't get a draft off a recumbent.  

At mile 50, I "had" to stop again.  I needed pickle juice and a few minutes off the bike in front of the gasoline-powered cooling fan that was set up there.  Corsa Ken showed up a few minutes later, and Steve Strada shortly after that.  

Steve was looking strong and only stopped because we yelled at him.  So strong, in fact, that when we headed out again, I could tell that I was holding him back.  Once we got into the final stretch and the rollers, I admitted to him that I was cooked and that he shouldn't let me hold him back.  He didn't.  Meanwhile, I continued on in energy conservation mode, feeling every one of the days during June when I should have been riding and getting stronger... but hadn't.  

And yet, as I was grinding my teeth and spinning my way up one climb, I passed a DF rider in a Rolling Stones jersey.  

"Hey," he said. "I'll toss you a rope and you can pull me, okay?"

"Good luck with that," I told him, but I was thinking, Up yours.  This Little Engine That Could is through towing roadies for the day.  He passed me, but I caught him (and passed him) once we made the turn on to the smooth straight stretch leading to the high school.  "No fair!" he called out, laughing.  "You're coasting!"  

I cranked it up to 23 mph, trying to get my average to tick up from 18.9 to 19, but never quite made it.  That said, "nearly 19" is a new record for me at any distance, so I mark it as a good day.  

Special congratulations go out to dallasbikr, who finished 100K on a fixie with an 18+ average.  Dude, you're sick!

I never saw any of the other RBENTers, except Peggy Strada and Bob McClure, afterwards.  Did anyone else make it?

« Last Edit: Jul 22nd, 2007, 10:30am by FooRider »  

Lie Back. Ride hard. Grin like a monkey.
WWW   IP Logged
Killer Bee
Five Star Member

CA2.0 proto type

Re: Tour de Paris (7/21/07, Paris, TX)
Reply #1 - Jul 22nd, 2007, 12:24pm

Special thanks to FooRider for the bottle of water at the rest stop that I saw you & Corsa Ken. Man was I thirsty,and the bottle of water was just what I needed(although as you know,I had to make quick stop at the next rest stop for more drink). That drink of water was very much appreciated.  

I was shooting for a 19 mph average,BUT I eneded up with 18.9 mph average. I rode as strong as I could(max.effort) to get it,but it just wasn't there. More training is needed!!!

As always,it was good to ride with you,even though the "Strada's" got a late start & we didn't see you until the end of the ride. Better late than never.

Also,I'm now a pickle juice convert(even though I hate pickles-I downed 3 bottles in the cafeteria after the ride). Pickle juice will be my drink of choice at H'NH.

I like carbon fiber
Email   IP Logged
catroad254

rbent member

Reply #2 - Jul 22nd, 2007, 1:24pm

These folks really know how to put on a ride. More rest stops than I've seen at any ride and all well stocked. The course is pretty flat and while it had some chipseal it wasn't too bad overall. Free hambugers and smoothies at the finish. Well worth the drive to Paris.

Ken

Email   IP Logged
sstexex

rbent member

Reply #3 - Jul 22nd, 2007, 1:39pm

We (my wife and I) started at the middle of the pack and did the 40. We saw John S. in the parking lot beforehand and Bob McClure at the start. Also, we were passed by what I believe to be the Stradas, however they had somewhere to be and were apparently very late! Cheesy

sstexex

Email   IP Logged
suecoop-Linda

rbent member

Reply #4 - Jul 22nd, 2007, 2:46pm

We missed you Foo!  I kinda looked for Cheryl at this one, and thought for sure she was there when we saw a handcycle.  Upon closer examination we determined that it wasn't hers....and knew for sure when some fellow got on it.  

We were there and were in about the last 2/3 at the start.  We saw John, Ken, & Bob and visited before the start.  Ken started with us, while Bob and John went to the front to start.  John always takes documents these rides with photos, which is appreciated.  The course was fairly flat with a few inclines, and a couple of small rollers toward the last half.  This was the place to try to increase my miles.  I'm slow, but fairly steady.  Richard and John hung in there with me trying for my first 100K.  Thanks to the both of them, I did it!  

Richard got to ride the new Corsa and seemed pleased with his new aquisition.  He was nice and didn't drop me to test out the new bike.  OK, I'll just go ahead and admit that I relented and let "her" stay in the motel with us.  It was just for security and both bikes stayed with us.  That's my story and I'm sticking to it.
Great ride!
Linda

Specialize Mountain Bike
(killing my wrists!)

Lightning Thunderbolt
  IP Logged
Killer Bee
Five Star Member

CA2.0 proto type

Reply #5 - Jul 22nd, 2007, 3:52pm

Quote from catroad254 on Jul 22nd, 2007, 1:24pm:
These folks really know how to put on a ride. More rest stops than I've seen at any ride and all well stocked. The course is pretty flat and while it had some chipseal it wasn't too bad overall. Free hambugers and smoothies at the finish. Well worth the drive to Paris.

Ken

http://i196.photobucket.com/albums/aa284/kendward/th_TourdeParis.jpg

Yep...like I said,the BEST overall rally in N.Texas(IMO). SAG was visable all ride. The rest stops were well stocked & even identified how long to the next rest stop. There are several other ride organizers that could learn lessons from the Tour de Paris.  I think I was passed by ten cars then entire 100K.  

Linda...sorry I didn't stay & chat longer when I saw you with John S & Richard. Yes,the "Stradas" were late,we were to ride with Foorider. I caught up with him at mile 50.

I like carbon fiber
Email   IP Logged
Bud_Bent

Reply #6 - Jul 22nd, 2007, 5:04pm

Great report, Foo. It sounds like y'all had a good ride; I'm glad the rain stayed away. I couldn't bring myself to drive that far, and settled for some torture in the Aledo hills today on the FWBA's Baker Road ride, instead.

« Last Edit: Jul 22nd, 2007, 5:06pm by Bud_Bent »  

Bud
* 2009 RANS F-5 Pro
* 2009 RANS XStream
* 2004 RANS Screamer
My Blog - uneasy-rider.com
WWW   IP Logged
aikigreg

recumbent ninja

Reply #7 - Jul 22nd, 2007, 9:19pm

Good job gutting it out.  I certainly know how it is to have an off day.  It's usually brought on by too much speed at the start of the ride for too long with too little calories.  And I've downed pickle juice several times now and needed it, but it always tastes greasy to me.

I'm in it to Schwinn it.
Email   IP Logged
suecoop-Linda

rbent member

Reply #8 - Jul 22nd, 2007, 10:34pm

[quote author=Strada177 link=1185114636/0#5 date=1185137564

Linda...sorry I didn't stay & chat longer when I saw you with John S & Richard. Yes,the "Stradas" were late,we were to ride with Foorider. I caught up with him at mile 50.

[/quote]

No reason to apologize......I know you two were trying to catch up.  Maybe one day we will all start out together.  Then I'll know for sure how many bents are there.

Specialize Mountain Bike
(killing my wrists!)

Lightning Thunderbolt
  IP Logged
DallasBikr

rbent member

Reply #9 - Jul 23rd, 2007, 12:49pm

Quote from FooRider on Jul 22nd, 2007, 9:30am:
Special congratulations go out to dallasbikr, who finished 100K on a fixie with an 18+ average.  Dude, you're sick!

Thanks man...Wink

I was suffering a bit at the first stop I saw you at, since I had just climbed a huge hill towing a bunch of DFs in a 39/15.  Got stronger the last 10 miles or so.  One of our IC3 clan was cramping and bonked his way in at about 12-14 mph.  

I played leapfrog with a 'bent rider almost the whole ride.  My group was stopping at every other stop so I could rest the legs a bit.

Last time I did this ride was 1996 IIRC...about the only thing I remember from that one is giving back the pancake breakfast at mile 30  embarrassed .  This is well-run, well-stocked and a lot of fun.  On my calendar for next year (in pencil).

DB
future benter

p.s. I do find it a bit amusing that I was at a ride you guys were at, while Nelson was up riding my TT course!

« Last Edit: Jul 23rd, 2007, 12:50pm by DallasBikr »  
WWW DallasBikr   IP Logged
Killer Bee
Five Star Member

CA2.0 proto type

Reply #10 - Jul 23rd, 2007, 3:37pm

Quote from suecoop-Linda on Jul 22nd, 2007, 10:34pm:
[quote author=Strada177 link=1185114636/0#5 date=1185137564

No reason to apologize......I know you two were trying to catch up.  Maybe one day we will all start out together.  Then I'll know for sure how many bents are there.
[/quote]

That sounds like a plan. I'm not sure I'll be riding at the Goatneck, but my next organized ride would be H'NH.

I like carbon fiber
Email   IP Logged
FooRider

baccheater   '06
Corsa

Reply #11 - Jul 24th, 2007, 6:47am

Quote from DallasBikr on Jul 23rd, 2007, 12:49pm:
future benter

Better not let anyone on BJ see you say that.  You'll be run out of "town" on a rail.

Quote:
p.s. I do find it a bit amusing that I was at a ride you guys were at, while Nelson was up riding my TT course!

And so the cosmic balance is maintained.   Wink

Lie Back. Ride hard. Grin like a monkey.
WWW   IP Logged
FlyingLaZBoy

'16 ICE SprintX fs,
'16 Rocket, '12 KHS
Mocha

Reply #12 - Jul 25th, 2007, 11:08pm

...Pickle Juice.......    BLEAHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!   Cheesy

Granted, I was inside the building at HHH last year when I tried it, not hot and sweaty at Mile 70...  but...

"A hundred miles on a bike? How many
days does that take you?"

Email FlyingLaZBoy   IP Logged
FlyingLaZBoy

'16 ICE SprintX fs,
'16 Rocket, '12 KHS
Mocha

Reply #13 - Jul 25th, 2007, 11:12pm

Quote from FooRider on Jul 24th, 2007, 6:47am:
Quote from DallasBikr on Jul 23rd, 2007, 12:49pm:
future benter

Better not let anyone on BJ see you say that.  You'll be run out of "town" on a rail.

Well, heck, DB -- why wait???    Come on over to The Dark Side!!!!!!  BWAHAHAHAHahahaaaaaaaaaaaa....

(Just don't get another one of those darned Bacchettas that are cropping up all over the place!)

Wink Wink Wink Wink

PB

"A hundred miles on a bike? How many
days does that take you?"

Email FlyingLaZBoy   IP Logged
DallasBikr

rbent member

Reply #14 - Jul 26th, 2007, 2:07pm

Actually, I was considering the highly acclaimed, award-winning "Trash Bent" from Opus, complete with Huge Honkin' Tailight.

Or a Bachetta.

I've never ridden one, so I need to try that right after I get some disposable income (after my camper shell for the truck, after the track bike, after....)

Future = couple years from now more than likely Cheesy

DB

WWW DallasBikr   IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print