Welcome, Guest. Please Login.
rbent - Recumbent Bike Enthusiasts of North Texas
May 2nd, 2024, 9:07pm
News: Want to join the rbent Forum? See this thread.
Home Help Search Login

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
209k Vacation in Italy permanent brevet - June 9th (Read 1763 times)
Bud_Bent

209k Vacation in Italy permanent brevet - June 9th
Jun 10th, 2007, 9:48am

This was to be my longest distance to date, 209k. The afternoon ended up being 93 degrees with a high humidity. If Italy is this hot in June, remind me never to schedule a visit with the Pope in the summer. It was a beautiful morning, though. Nelson, Ray, Jerry, and I set out from near Park Row and Bowen in Arlington at 6:30, and rode south down Bowen all the way to Sublett, then east on Sublett all the way to Lake Ridge Parkway, then south on Lake Ridge.

After a quick restroom stop at Lynn Creek Marina, we rode on south through Cedar Hill and Midlothian, stopping at the first control at mile 26, the Whataburger at Hwy 287 and Midlothian Road. Somewhere during this stretch, it occurred to me that I hadn't gotten a brevet card from Nelson, and he said the cards were back in his vehicle. This oversight would end up making my day longer.

We next rode small rural roads until we hit Hwy 157 just north of Maypearl. We made another quick stop at the Exxon in Maypearl at mile 43, then continued on toward Italy. This stretch of roads had less traffic than just about any I've traveled, but during a five mile stretch of it, it had the same amount of elevation gain as the Lynn Creek Marina to Cedar Hill stretch, 270 feet. Jerry ended up put some distance between himself and Nelson and Ray on this stretch, and just like I had good sense, I stayed with Jerry. I knew Ray's knee problems had been keeping him from riding as fast a pace as he would like, so I figured that was the reason for his falling back, but it now seems there was more to it than that.

We arrived at the second control in Italy at mile 60, and took a longer break here. Nelson and Ray arrived just a few minutes after Jerry and I. After leaving Italy, we rode east on Hwy 34, turning north on FM 877, just past Avalon. This road took us past some seriously fast sprinting dogs, and across the Lake Waxahachie dam, before bringing us into Waxahachie, and the last control, a Shell station on Business Hwy 287 at mile 86. I had to stop along this stretch and free a bug from under my cycling cap. It had apparently been there since the last control stop, and I kept having the sensation of something crawling on my head, only to discover that it wasn't a phantom sensation; it really was a bug! Besides the dogs and dam and bug, the stretch of road from Avalon was memorable for being rough new chipseal, and a steady incline, and somewhere on this stretch, I hit the wall.  

The rest of the ride, I was fine on flats or downhills, but I was plainly slowing Jerry down on any uphill. I would try to crank harder, but I would get no power, just a rise in heart rate. I don't know if it was because it's the first serious heat of the year, or I had maintained too fast a pace earlier in the ride, or if it was leftover effects of hammering Thursday evening. We made a fairly quick stop at the last control, and without waiting for Nelson and Ray to arrive, set out for Midlothian and Cedar Hill.

This stretch is also mostly gentle uphill riding, but with my lack of power, the uphills didn't feel that gentle. The heat was brutal during this time too, and I had serious doubts about being able to finish the ride. Once we turned onto Lake Ridge Parkway, with all its downhills waiting though, I knew I was ok for the distance. We stopped at Lynn Creek Marina for water, and it ended up being a much longer stop than we planned, as we waited in line to pay for our water, and listened to the woman running the marina arguing with a group of kids (tip: don't rent a boat at Joe Pool Lake and plan on them letting you take alcohol on it ........ on second thought, don't take a boat on Joe Pool Lake on a summer weekend at all; leave it to the drunk kids). I think this longer than planned stop helped me recover some.

The remaining ride down Lake Ridge Parkway, Sublett, and then Bowen, was flat and easy, and we made good time, except for all the traffic light stops. The traffic on this stretch was a lot heavier than I like riding in, though. Just before the end of the ride, as we turned from Bowen onto Park Row, we smelled rain, and the pavement was wet. It was the second time in the ride we smelled rain, and was as close as we got to actually being rained on. The clouds that had showed up were certainly welcome.  

Jerry and I finished the ride at 4:03. Total time was 9:33. Total miles were 128.5. Time on the bike was 7:48, for a 16.5 mph average. I was so slow during the 450 feet of elevation gain from Avalon at mile 70 to Cedar Hill at mile 105, that I surely lowered my average for the entire ride quite a bit. I'm glad there was only 3300 feet of climbing on this route; I might have had a tough time of it on this day on a route with bigger hills.  Continued in the next post....

« Last Edit: Jun 10th, 2007, 11:05am by Bud_Bent »  

Bud
* 2009 RANS F-5 Pro
* 2009 RANS XStream
* 2004 RANS Screamer
My Blog - uneasy-rider.com
WWW   IP Logged
Bud_Bent

Re: 209k Vacation in Italy permanent brevet - June
Reply #1 - Jun 10th, 2007, 9:50am

Part Two:

Because I had forgotten to get a brevet card from Nelson, I would have to wait for him, so I could get my card. It was my first brevet, so I did want to make it official. Jerry said Ray and Nelson would probably be along in 20 minutes or so as he rode off......... yeah right. I drove to a store and bought myself an ice cream bar and the persistent object of my craving after a long, hard ride........ a bag of Fritos.  

I sat in my truck at the ride start (a residential neighborhood) with the air conditioner running, doing my part to kill the ozone, for an hour and a half. Still, no Nelson. The neighbors were starting to peek at me between blinds, so I figured I'd better leave before they reported me as a stalker. I drove the route backwards until I finally spotted Nelson (with no sign of Ray), at Sublett and Collins in Arlington. This is very near my house, so I dropped off my bike at home, changed clothes, then drove back to the start.  

Nelson arrived to finish his ride at 6:30, 12 hours after starting it. He informed me that Ray was back at Lynn Creek Marina, waiting for Nelson to pick him up. After several stops to try to recover, he was unable to continue. I should let Nelson and Ray report that part of the adventure.

« Last Edit: Jun 10th, 2007, 10:57am by Bud_Bent »  

Bud
* 2009 RANS F-5 Pro
* 2009 RANS XStream
* 2004 RANS Screamer
My Blog - uneasy-rider.com
WWW   IP Logged
Rawhide

rbent member

Reply #2 - Jun 10th, 2007, 10:03am

Great report Bud!  I so wanted to do this with y'all but had to work.  Don't think I'll have a chance to get started doing these brevets till July or August.  D J

D J Boyd
Bacchetta Carbon Corsa
Bacchetta Corsa
Rans Rocket GL63
Vision R40
Email   IP Logged
Kwijybow
Five Star Member

mostly a commuter

Reply #3 - Jun 10th, 2007, 6:48pm

I must first apologize to Bud, I thought I had made certain everyone had all their paperwork, but I missed getting him a card.  The plan to get him one immediately after the ride was circumvented by the events of the ride.  As Bud memntioned Ray took it easier on the uphill section from Maypearl up to Italy and that was OK, but After Italy he started having some cramping issues, and I thought he might need to DNF in Waxahachie, but he wanted to press on after a good 30 minute rest there.  Unfortunately he started cramping again going into Midlothian, and actually seemed to be suffering from heat exhaustion, and had me quite worried.  Getting him down to the marina was tough, and I thought I had convinced him to wait there for me and I would come back with the van.  So I pressed on to the finish, and at one of the many lights on Sublett and Bowen Bud stops beside me and I remember he doesn't have a card.  We meet back at the start and I head back to the marina to pick up Ray, about halfway there I see Ray riding along.  I'm a bit angry at him for pressing on, but he does finish with a ride time @12:30.  My ride wasn't all that fun, as I really don't enjoy watching somebody suffer like that, and I don't feel it was really necessary.  As I told Ray, this is for self-gratification, its not a life and death situation so lets not make it one.  Heat can be quite dangerous so be careful this summer!  

Commuter 1Cheesyavidson Impulse
Commuter 2: Motobecane Fixie
Commuter 3: Salsa Journeyman
Recumbent 1: Schlitter Encore 20
recumbent 2: Bacchetta Ti Aero
Email   IP Logged
FooRider

baccheater   '06
Corsa

Reply #4 - Jun 10th, 2007, 7:09pm

You guys continue to amaze me.  I'm not sure I could complete 100 miles, much less 120+.

Sorry to hear about the problems you had, but congratulations to all.

Lie Back. Ride hard. Grin like a monkey.
WWW   IP Logged
aikigreg

recumbent ninja

Reply #5 - Jun 11th, 2007, 12:02am

Sounds like you guys had a tough day.  It's been tough on me here, having brought all the rain with me.  I haven't seen the sun since last Tuesday!

Congrats on making it Bud!  I can't wait for my 200k, whenever I  can make it.  Ray - I hope you're feeling ok!

I'm in it to Schwinn it.
Email   IP Logged
robert.j

rbent member

Reply #6 - Jun 11th, 2007, 8:23am

Way to go guys!  I wish I could do longer rides, but I can't ever seem to overcome my cramping problems.  Be careful in the heat.  I saw at least two folks being attended to by medical personnel along the Collins Classic route.  They were sprawled out on the road I don't think because of a crash, but due to heat related problems.

Robert Johnson
Bacchetta Corsa
Ventana Mtn Bike
Barcroft Columbia Tandem
Sun EZ1
1970ish French Roold
Email   IP Logged
Richard

rbent member

Reply #7 - Jun 11th, 2007, 9:12am

Robert

I wondered about the ambulances too. I saw no blood or rasberries as I rubernecked by. Hope all is well with them. It seemed like the heat was far more intense than it really was. Maybe it is just the fact that its the first really hot/humid day of the season and we are not used to it.

Richard

Modified Bentech
Bacchetta Corsa

It's aaaliiiiiiiive!
  IP Logged
bikerteam
Five Star Member

Exceed Your
Limitations

Reply #8 - Jun 18th, 2007, 12:40pm

Yes, this was no doubt the toughest 200k in my life.  My post surgical knee problems were non-existant, and I have regained 85% of my knee strength.  However, I did have SEVERE heat exhaustion, beginning at about the 100k mark.

Not only do I train hard, but I also like to think that I am very knowledgable in regards to solid and liquid nutrition in ultra events.  I wore my camel back with water, had two bottles of Hammer Perpetum as well as Cliff bars, and extra Perpetum powder.  My post ride self analysis concluded that I did not "tank up" prior to the event.  I have been traveling in the north east recently, and (1) haven't been riding in the heat, and (2) did not consume adequate water in the days leading up to this 200k.  

Nelson is right.  I should have stopped around mile 75.   cry  I would like to urge everyone to google on "heat exhaustion" and become familiar with the symptoms.  While I did successfully finish this 200k, it was at too great a cost.   I easily could have been hospitalized.  

Looking forward to my next epic event.

Ray Torrey

Ray Torrey
Email   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print