Welcome, Guest. Please Login.
rbent - Recumbent Bike Enthusiasts of North Texas
May 21st, 2024, 1:00pm
News: Want to join the rbent Forum? See this thread.
Home Help Search Login

Pages: 1 
Send Topic Print
Plano FDM Tuesday Night C Crit Race (Read 5013 times)
Kwijybow
Five Star Member

mostly a commuter

Plano FDM Tuesday Night C Crit Race
Jun 8th, 2007, 9:42am

Hi All, at Bud's request here's what I remember...

After having put it off for quite a few weeks I decided I needed to start some speed workouts so off to the races I went.  I put my lighter wheels on the Lemond and commuted in Tueday morning with the the plan to head over to the Crit course of Renner and Shiloh for the approximately 30 minutes of fast paced riding after work.  I had to renew my USCF license during the day and print out a permission to ride slip.  I find that I really don't like intervals or really much of any kind of actual speed work training, but seem to do pretty well motivation wise in these crits.  Last year I did about 9 of them, and the start it wasn't very pretty, but towards the last couple I was generally finishing in or near the top 10.  Now this is not the big show mind you, just the C race with alot of new riders, and some juniors.  There are a few others like me who seem to be there for the speed workout.  
    After riding over to the course I took off the lights, and met Kevin who was there warming up with Todd in very spiffy IC3 jersies.  Kevin let me stash my backpack in his truck and with some trepidation I signed up.  Last year the things were pretty small in the C race and everything was quite well behaved, but I did hear about somebody ending up with a plate in their head after a crash in the B race earlier this year. At race start there were some 30 or so folks, and fortunately everybody rolled out quite sanely so far so good.  
    The first couple of laps go by smoothly and despite not going anaerobic once this year I'm feeling OK.  Very wisely Kevin is at the head of the pack setting a nice sane pace.  About 10 minutes in there is a prime and I think I might try, but then realize I ought to behave and see how the first race goes before getting too cocky.  So I sit in the pack and cruise around as it strings out a bit chasing the prime guys.  After the prime things come back quickly and it seems in a lap or so I need to move up some, so its clear on the inside of the East stretch which is slightly uphill and into the wind.  I push a little bit to get back to the front, and oops I pop a little off the front without trying just before the corner.  Well I'm thinking about just freewheeling back into the pack but kinda think well I am here for the workout, and Kevin is yelling something about going, so I figure he'll block a bit so I kinda half assed picked up the pace.  Not too hard because a consult of the clock says I'd have to do it for 15 minutes, which I don't think is going to happen.  So I just maintain 25mph or so and after a lap on the East side again I have a maybe a 200 yard gap.  The next lap around I do a check and see folks chasing now, so I figure the end of the escape is not to far, but I'm surprised that it takes until middle of North side for somebody to roll by.  The first man by says "you got anything left?" and I look over at the 2 bike gap he has and laugh, yeah we're getting away.  So I just tuck in and try to recover.  It seems way too soon the 5 laps to go counter pops up, and yeah now I'm starting to feel the lack of speed work.  I'm still hanging on, but when the bell rings for the last lap I just kinda cruise it in.  Does it still count as a pack finish when you can see the back of the pack?  Kevin looked like he rode a very smart race but I didn't see where he was at the end.  Too bad recumbents don't get to race these things as the extra couple of mph but come in very handy during an escape.  All in all I was very pleased, I certainly got a workout, and with a bit smarter race should finish OK next time.  Everybody behaved and I didn't see anything squirly.  My computer showed a max of 31mph, and avg just over 23  for the 11.2 miles, so good speedwork for the week done!

Take Care,
Nelson.

Commuter 1Cheesyavidson Impulse
Commuter 2: Motobecane Fixie
Commuter 3: Salsa Journeyman
Recumbent 1: Schlitter Encore 20
recumbent 2: Bacchetta Ti Aero
Email   IP Logged
Bud_Bent

Re: Plano FDM Tuesday Night C Crit Race
Reply #1 - Jun 8th, 2007, 11:51am

Good report, Nelson. I know what you mean about trying to do the speed training alone. It's just so much easier to stay motivated if there's other fast bikes around.

It's a shame there aren't some crits around here that allow bents. Have you ever read Crit Rider's ride reports on the Bacchetta forum? It sounds like a blast, although my bent handling skills in that kind of setting would really need some work.

Bud
* 2009 RANS F-5 Pro
* 2009 RANS XStream
* 2004 RANS Screamer
My Blog - uneasy-rider.com
WWW   IP Logged
Kwijybow
Five Star Member

mostly a commuter

Reply #2 - Jun 8th, 2007, 4:40pm

I love JV's write ups, man he has an engine, and some awesome bike handling ability!  It would be cool if we had such an event here.  Coming from Alabama though it is still amazing the amount of organized riding and racing here.  I can remember (barely it was @18-20 years ago) always having to drive about 3-4 hours to any organized event.  Here in DFW you have some many to choose from!

Email   IP Logged
aikigreg

recumbent ninja

Reply #3 - Jun 9th, 2007, 2:07am

man I really wsh I could bring the bent to the show.  I'd clean up with the tica.  I may have to dust off the trek and do a few crits, anyway!

I'm in it to Schwinn it.
Email   IP Logged
MrOverdressed
Five Star Member

rbent member

Reply #4 - Jun 11th, 2007, 3:07am

Who is JV??

Terry

Quote from Kwijybow on Jun 8th, 2007, 4:40pm:
I love JV's write ups, man he has an engine, and some awesome bike handling ability!  It would be cool if we had such an event here.  Coming from Alabama though it is still amazing the amount of organized riding and racing here.  I can remember (barely it was @18-20 years ago) always having to drive about 3-4 hours to any organized event.  Here in DFW you have some many to choose from!

Happy Trails! Smiley
Terry Pickl
  IP Logged
FooRider

baccheater   '06
Corsa

Reply #5 - Jun 11th, 2007, 7:05am

[oblique reference]Mr. Varsity's son?[/oblique reference]

« Last Edit: Jun 11th, 2007, 7:16am by FooRider »  

Lie Back. Ride hard. Grin like a monkey.
WWW   IP Logged
MrOverdressed
Five Star Member

rbent member

Reply #6 - Jun 11th, 2007, 7:44am

Does he keep a blog?

Happy Trails! Smiley
Terry Pickl
  IP Logged
Kwijybow
Five Star Member

mostly a commuter

Reply #7 - Jun 11th, 2007, 8:54am

JV is Jim Verhaul, a Bacchetta Team Rider, who has a thread on the Bacchetta forums where he goes by Crit Rider.

I'll try to link to his write ups:

http://www.bacchettabikes.com/forum2/tm.asp?m=8494&mpage=1&key=crit%2Cra ce&#8494

Take Care,
Nelson.

Email   IP Logged
Bud_Bent

Reply #8 - Jun 11th, 2007, 9:10am

Quote from terranimo on Jun 11th, 2007, 3:07am:
Who is JV??

Terry

JV is Jim Verheul, a Team Bacchetta racer who uses the id of Crit Racer in the Bacchetta forum.

Bud
* 2009 RANS F-5 Pro
* 2009 RANS XStream
* 2004 RANS Screamer
My Blog - uneasy-rider.com
WWW   IP Logged
FlyingLaZBoy

'16 ICE SprintX fs,
'16 Rocket, '12 KHS
Mocha

Reply #9 - Jun 12th, 2007, 5:13pm

Nelson, did you have any issues with the bricks??  I've ridden around that loop solo, and that corner always bothers me....   undecided

"A hundred miles on a bike? How many
days does that take you?"

Email FlyingLaZBoy   IP Logged
Kwijybow
Five Star Member

mostly a commuter

Reply #10 - Jun 12th, 2007, 7:57pm

Hi Folks,

Tonight I counted roughly 26 heads at the start.  Kevin was there, but his team mate Todd was missing, as was an RBM fellow I see every week.  Race started sanely again, and this week there were two primes, which I completely ignored in order to better suck the wheels at the back of the pack.  My plan do nothing, and attack hard the last lap.  So I was cruising around and didn't even notice that the lap counter had come out until it said 3 to go, oops better get into to position, so slid up a bit for the next two laps.  Coming up the hill with the 1 lap to go sign I attack hard up the inside gutter, and nobody really seems to respond, swing through the wobbly brick corner hard enough to bounce a little side ways and hold 30 mph for a few hundred yards, all right match book burned, do the slow death ride and be as low and smooth as possible until the finish.  the gap slowly dwindles and about 50 yards from the finish I'm caught and cooked.  Oh well, made a race of it, and had one honking interval.  In the old days I was good for about a 1:04 kilometer, and and I'm sure I'm no where near that now, and unfortunately one lap is .8 miles around.  So I I'll try to time it a little later next time, but unfortunately the best place for the attack is where its hard up the hill, not where its downhill/downwind at the 1km mark.  Race average tonight was 24 mph for the 11.2 miles, and I had a max on the attack of 31mph.

Paul about that corner, I find there is plenty of traction through the brick corner even if the noise is a bit alarming.  Where you have to watch it is on the exit where in the middle of the road is an ugly uneven pavement seam where the outside edge sticks up higher.  Also there is an ugly couple of crack/potholes on the west side you want to avoid.  There is a big mound of asphalt and loose gravel that can be ridden though before the sweeping NW corner, but at some risk as I flatted there last year.  I went into the corner and my rear wheel went out hard enough I thought somebody had hit me, but when I looked back nobody was there and I realized my tire was going down fast.  There is also one tiny dip at the NE corner exit that can be ridden through, people know it is there but avoid it leaving a gap usually, I made a habit of just riding right over it, since it is in the middle of a good line, and people are leaving room there.

Had a blast, and got my speedwork.  Maybe I'll get there next week, but regardless it is fun trying.

Take Care,
Nelson.

Email   IP Logged
DallasBikr

rbent member

Reply #11 - Jun 13th, 2007, 8:58am

Good racing last night Nelson....you beat me this time Smiley

As I passed the one lap to go sign, my right calf cramped and ended my night.  Shame, since I was sitting top 10 at the time when everyone stood up to ramp it up for the last lap.

DB/Kevin

WWW DallasBikr   IP Logged
Kwijybow
Five Star Member

mostly a commuter

Reply #12 - Jun 13th, 2007, 10:10am

Hi Kevin,  

Man sorry to hear about the cramp, no fun.  It was quite hot and it looked like you did a lot of work.  

It looks like there was an ugly crash in the A-Race right where you come out of the Brick corner, did someone hit that seam I so dislike?  

http://www.txbra.org/forum3/index.asp?page=loader&forumID=15

Take Care,
Nelson.

Email   IP Logged
DallasBikr

rbent member

Reply #13 - Jun 14th, 2007, 2:42pm

Nope...it was much farther down, right before you start the sweeper.  Something mechanical locked up Adam's rear wheel...he skidded to a complete stop...everyone went right and left, except for the 5 or so guys that couldn't see this going down and they smacked right into him.

Christian Williams broke his frame in 3 places...anyone need a "folding" Cannondale.  He landed on his head..right AFTER his helmet flew off in mid crash.  Only a concussion came of it.  Chris was instrumental in forming TXBRA and is a tremendously nice guy.  He'll be fine Smiley

I'm still learning about hydration and electrolytes.  I traded the stitch in my side for a calf cramp.  Go figure.  We (IC3) will be at the course tonight doing some team pratice.  Feel free to bring out the Lemond and go fast with us!

Kevin

Kwijybow
Five Star Member

mostly a commuter

Reply #14 - Jun 14th, 2007, 3:04pm

Hi Kevin,

What time are you guys going to be there, I have the Corsa in the Car though, was thinking about riding there or maybe doing the popsicle ride.

Take Care,
Nelson.

Email   IP Logged
Kwijybow
Five Star Member

mostly a commuter

Reply #15 - Jun 19th, 2007, 8:48pm

This weeks edition went pretty well.  I commuted in, and after work rode over to the course and warmed up for awhile.  Stashed my backpack in Kevin's truck, and also met Ryan Lange, a fellow LSR rider who has been doing well in these and will likely move up to the B race after tonight.  I didn't make a count of heads but looked to be about 30 or maybe slightly more.  I started in a little further back tonight since I came to the line a little later, and tonight the guy in front of my biffed the tire in front of him and went down, and it was all I could do not to ride over him at the start.  Stayed upright, and managed to get around him and not hit the curb, but now I'm 50 yards behind the pack and they are leaving pretty hard.  I chase back onto the pack and decide I'm just going to sit in for awhile.  Things got pretty crazy early though with a high pace being set and the pack started shattering in the first few laps.  I kept having to close up to the remainder and finally after about 15 minutes I see we're starting to lap people and I look around and there is really no one back, so its just us 12 or so left.  Ryan goes to the front with about 3 or 4 left and throws down a fast lap, and now I think we're 10 or so going into the bell lap.  I figure I'm waiting until the final corner tonight, but midway down the west side Ryan takes off hard, and we start chasing.  What do you know you can get a gap there, not a lot but he has one, and going into the final corner I put all I have left on the table, like everybody else I suppose.  I move up to maybe 6th maybe 5th some lapped folks in there so hard to tell.  But Ryan takes it by a good 10-20 yards.  Now I remember why I always tried to escape early, I'm not a sprinter.  But I guess placing is better than attacking like an idiot and getting caught.  Once again fun had by all.

Take Care,
Nelson.

Email   IP Logged
DallasBikr

rbent member

Reply #16 - Jun 19th, 2007, 9:22pm

We actually waited a bit at 17-18 for any fallen riders to have a chance...and then two attacked our courtesy.

Kevin

Kwijybow
Five Star Member

mostly a commuter

Reply #17 - Jun 21st, 2007, 8:42am

Ahh, I though I heard a few words exchanged as I was rejoining, didn't know what that was about, but now it makes sense!

Nelson.

Email   IP Logged
DallasBikr

rbent member

Reply #18 - Jun 21st, 2007, 8:48am

chuckle....there were also a bunch of guys hassling me for not leading us out.  I sat in 3rd spot and made someone else do it. Smiley

Worst result of the year.  Maybe I will do my traditional lead out next time...

DallasBikr

rbent member

Reply #19 - Jun 26th, 2007, 7:48am

Hey Nelson...you coming out tonight if the weather allows?

Kwijybow
Five Star Member

mostly a commuter

Reply #20 - Jun 26th, 2007, 8:08am

I rode in today with the Lemond, if we get to go I'll have to take the clip on fenders and lights off, the heavy wheels will just have to do. But yeah I'm planning on trying.  Definitely feeling pretty lousy though, still tired from the 300K and I pulled something in my back doing yard work, but I'll still give it a whirl.  Hope to see ya there!

Take Care,
Nelson.

Email   IP Logged
Kwijybow
Five Star Member

mostly a commuter

Reply #21 - Jun 26th, 2007, 7:26pm

Rained out  Sad, I'll be gone next week as well, heading to Alabama to visit my mom, sister, and the inlaws for the holiday.  Be back for the 10th though.

Email   IP Logged
Kwijybow
Five Star Member

mostly a commuter

Reply #22 - Jul 10th, 2007, 8:07pm

Hi All,

This weeks edition of the Tuesday Nighter is kinda dull.  I rode the Lemond to work with the heavier wheels as there is a lot of debris on my commute and when I went by the crit course the night before they had just cut the grass there and the road was full of grass and little rocks and dirt.  After work I moseyed over to the course, and as luck would have it flatted just as I pulled onto the course Angry.  So changed the tube, borrowed a pump to get to full race pressure stowed my gear in Kevin's truck and warmed up.  My lack of miles the last 2 weeks didn't exactly inspire confidence tonight, so I just planned to hang on as long as possible.  I counted @21 people at the start.  There was a pretty stout South wind tonight so things started slow, and every 5 minutes or so somebody would get a little frisky but no one seemed to be able to get away.  Once again I found myself at the back end of the pack after a split and we were down to around 13 people.  Kevin's computer bounced off at some point and he stopped to pick it up the next lap, and rejoined us the next lap, so I had some company at the rear as I sucked wheel.  Going into the last lap the pace picked up to @24mph on the up hill into the wind section, and 30mph on the down wind section and I just maintained, a a couple of folks shelled out, and I think coming out of the last corner I might have moved up to 10th, and I saw a lowly 31mph max, like I said not a sprinter.  Not exactly stellar performance, but certainly got a good workout.  The ride home was pretty slow, until I realized I had a headwind from the North because of a storm moving in, so picked it up and just beat it home.

Take Care,
Nelson.

Email   IP Logged
DallasBikr

rbent member

Reply #23 - Jul 10th, 2007, 10:05pm

For clarification...I stopped to pick up my computer somewhere between getting dropped and getting caught.  Sat on Nelson's wheel until 2 laps to go and pulled out.  No sense risking messing up someone elses sprint or line when you're a lap down.

Considering my last two crits were DNFs...I call finishing a lap down improvement.  maybe I can get back to pack finishes again if I ramp up the base miles a bit Smiley

Nelson's sandbagging a bit...he's much stronger out there than he wants to let on Wink

DallasBikr

rbent member

Reply #24 - Jul 24th, 2007, 7:38am

Nelson...you coming out to the crits tonight?

Kwijybow
Five Star Member

mostly a commuter

Reply #25 - Jul 24th, 2007, 10:23am

I'm coming, hopefully will hang in there this week.  Look forward to seeing you there!

Email   IP Logged
Kwijybow
Five Star Member

mostly a commuter

Reply #26 - Jul 24th, 2007, 8:28pm

Not too much to report this week,  Hung at the back for a bit over 20 minutes but the constant accelerations killed me.  Need to get up more towards the front, but much bigger pack in the B race.  

Race statistics (For me, I was only there half the race)
Time 26:26 (with a couple of slower laps after I came off the back)
Max speed 33.5 mph, avg speed 25.5  
177 Max BPM, 156 Avg BPM.  

Killer workout for me, making the leap to this race is going to be harder than I thought.  I really need to work on keeping my momentum through the corners better.

Take Care,
Nelson.

Email   IP Logged
Pages: 1 
Send Topic Print