Welcome, Guest. Please Login.
rbent - Recumbent Bike Enthusiasts of North Texas
May 21st, 2024, 12:32pm
News: Want to join the rbent Forum? See this thread.
Home Help Search Login

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Plano FDM Tuesday Night C Crit Race (Read 5012 times)
Kwijybow
Five Star Member

mostly a commuter

Re: Plano FDM Tuesday Night C Crit Race
Reply #15 - Jun 19th, 2007, 8:48pm

This weeks edition went pretty well.  I commuted in, and after work rode over to the course and warmed up for awhile.  Stashed my backpack in Kevin's truck, and also met Ryan Lange, a fellow LSR rider who has been doing well in these and will likely move up to the B race after tonight.  I didn't make a count of heads but looked to be about 30 or maybe slightly more.  I started in a little further back tonight since I came to the line a little later, and tonight the guy in front of my biffed the tire in front of him and went down, and it was all I could do not to ride over him at the start.  Stayed upright, and managed to get around him and not hit the curb, but now I'm 50 yards behind the pack and they are leaving pretty hard.  I chase back onto the pack and decide I'm just going to sit in for awhile.  Things got pretty crazy early though with a high pace being set and the pack started shattering in the first few laps.  I kept having to close up to the remainder and finally after about 15 minutes I see we're starting to lap people and I look around and there is really no one back, so its just us 12 or so left.  Ryan goes to the front with about 3 or 4 left and throws down a fast lap, and now I think we're 10 or so going into the bell lap.  I figure I'm waiting until the final corner tonight, but midway down the west side Ryan takes off hard, and we start chasing.  What do you know you can get a gap there, not a lot but he has one, and going into the final corner I put all I have left on the table, like everybody else I suppose.  I move up to maybe 6th maybe 5th some lapped folks in there so hard to tell.  But Ryan takes it by a good 10-20 yards.  Now I remember why I always tried to escape early, I'm not a sprinter.  But I guess placing is better than attacking like an idiot and getting caught.  Once again fun had by all.

Take Care,
Nelson.

Commuter 1Cheesyavidson Impulse
Commuter 2: Motobecane Fixie
Commuter 3: Salsa Journeyman
Recumbent 1: Schlitter Encore 20
recumbent 2: Bacchetta Ti Aero
Email   IP Logged
DallasBikr

rbent member

Reply #16 - Jun 19th, 2007, 9:22pm

We actually waited a bit at 17-18 for any fallen riders to have a chance...and then two attacked our courtesy.

Kevin

WWW DallasBikr   IP Logged
Kwijybow
Five Star Member

mostly a commuter

Reply #17 - Jun 21st, 2007, 8:42am

Ahh, I though I heard a few words exchanged as I was rejoining, didn't know what that was about, but now it makes sense!

Nelson.

Email   IP Logged
DallasBikr

rbent member

Reply #18 - Jun 21st, 2007, 8:48am

chuckle....there were also a bunch of guys hassling me for not leading us out.  I sat in 3rd spot and made someone else do it. Smiley

Worst result of the year.  Maybe I will do my traditional lead out next time...

DallasBikr

rbent member

Reply #19 - Jun 26th, 2007, 7:48am

Hey Nelson...you coming out tonight if the weather allows?

Kwijybow
Five Star Member

mostly a commuter

Reply #20 - Jun 26th, 2007, 8:08am

I rode in today with the Lemond, if we get to go I'll have to take the clip on fenders and lights off, the heavy wheels will just have to do. But yeah I'm planning on trying.  Definitely feeling pretty lousy though, still tired from the 300K and I pulled something in my back doing yard work, but I'll still give it a whirl.  Hope to see ya there!

Take Care,
Nelson.

Email   IP Logged
Kwijybow
Five Star Member

mostly a commuter

Reply #21 - Jun 26th, 2007, 7:26pm

Rained out  Sad, I'll be gone next week as well, heading to Alabama to visit my mom, sister, and the inlaws for the holiday.  Be back for the 10th though.

Email   IP Logged
Kwijybow
Five Star Member

mostly a commuter

Reply #22 - Jul 10th, 2007, 8:07pm

Hi All,

This weeks edition of the Tuesday Nighter is kinda dull.  I rode the Lemond to work with the heavier wheels as there is a lot of debris on my commute and when I went by the crit course the night before they had just cut the grass there and the road was full of grass and little rocks and dirt.  After work I moseyed over to the course, and as luck would have it flatted just as I pulled onto the course Angry.  So changed the tube, borrowed a pump to get to full race pressure stowed my gear in Kevin's truck and warmed up.  My lack of miles the last 2 weeks didn't exactly inspire confidence tonight, so I just planned to hang on as long as possible.  I counted @21 people at the start.  There was a pretty stout South wind tonight so things started slow, and every 5 minutes or so somebody would get a little frisky but no one seemed to be able to get away.  Once again I found myself at the back end of the pack after a split and we were down to around 13 people.  Kevin's computer bounced off at some point and he stopped to pick it up the next lap, and rejoined us the next lap, so I had some company at the rear as I sucked wheel.  Going into the last lap the pace picked up to @24mph on the up hill into the wind section, and 30mph on the down wind section and I just maintained, a a couple of folks shelled out, and I think coming out of the last corner I might have moved up to 10th, and I saw a lowly 31mph max, like I said not a sprinter.  Not exactly stellar performance, but certainly got a good workout.  The ride home was pretty slow, until I realized I had a headwind from the North because of a storm moving in, so picked it up and just beat it home.

Take Care,
Nelson.

Email   IP Logged
DallasBikr

rbent member

Reply #23 - Jul 10th, 2007, 10:05pm

For clarification...I stopped to pick up my computer somewhere between getting dropped and getting caught.  Sat on Nelson's wheel until 2 laps to go and pulled out.  No sense risking messing up someone elses sprint or line when you're a lap down.

Considering my last two crits were DNFs...I call finishing a lap down improvement.  maybe I can get back to pack finishes again if I ramp up the base miles a bit Smiley

Nelson's sandbagging a bit...he's much stronger out there than he wants to let on Wink

DallasBikr

rbent member

Reply #24 - Jul 24th, 2007, 7:38am

Nelson...you coming out to the crits tonight?

Kwijybow
Five Star Member

mostly a commuter

Reply #25 - Jul 24th, 2007, 10:23am

I'm coming, hopefully will hang in there this week.  Look forward to seeing you there!

Email   IP Logged
Kwijybow
Five Star Member

mostly a commuter

Reply #26 - Jul 24th, 2007, 8:28pm

Not too much to report this week,  Hung at the back for a bit over 20 minutes but the constant accelerations killed me.  Need to get up more towards the front, but much bigger pack in the B race.  

Race statistics (For me, I was only there half the race)
Time 26:26 (with a couple of slower laps after I came off the back)
Max speed 33.5 mph, avg speed 25.5  
177 Max BPM, 156 Avg BPM.  

Killer workout for me, making the leap to this race is going to be harder than I thought.  I really need to work on keeping my momentum through the corners better.

Take Care,
Nelson.

Email   IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print