Welcome, Guest. Please Login.
rbent - Recumbent Bike Enthusiasts of North Texas
May 21st, 2024, 10:10am
News: Want to join the rbent Forum? See this thread.
Home Help Search Login

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
GDB Time Trial (Read 932 times)
FlyingLaZBoy

'16 ICE SprintX fs,
'16 Rocket, '12 KHS
Mocha

GDB Time Trial
Jul 20th, 2007, 9:51am

The GDB Mesquite Time Trial...  It's a 7.5 mile loop with its start/finish inside the Mesquite (International) Airport.  We ride from Poteet High School out to the site, do the TT, then get back before sunset.

As shown in the pic, the first couple miles are somewhat downhill, then there are a couple miles of rollers followed by a tough climb, then ANOTHER couple miles of steady uphill grade.  To complicate things, there's usually (as there was last night) a good south / southeast wind blowing, that makes the final couple miles a real grind...

The first time I attempted it was in February of this year, and I was pleasantly surprised to do a 20:29  time, averaging 22.25 mph.  Most riders are in the 20-22 minute timeframe, with a few approaching the 18's and 19's on occasion...  In March I tried it again, and broke 20 minutes with a 19:52 (22.95 mph).  Then I missed the next three months due to medical and other reasons, as I watched others improve their times.

I finally got back out there last night, and despite a good 10+ mph southeast wind, popped a 19:35 time (23.13 mph) -- which was actually good enough to win the night by a ten second margin!!!   Smiley   Must be all that recent hill climbing and trike riding.... Roll Eyes

« Last Edit: Jul 20th, 2007, 9:56am by FlyingLaZBoy »  

"A hundred miles on a bike? How many
days does that take you?"

Email FlyingLaZBoy   IP Logged
Richard

rbent member

Re: GDB Time Trial
Reply #1 - Jul 20th, 2007, 12:29pm

Paul,
You look like you are really working in that pic. Speaking of medical, hows the eyeball? I want to have that surgery. $$$ Shocked

Modified Bentech
Bacchetta Corsa

It's aaaliiiiiiiive!
  IP Logged
Bud_Bent

Reply #2 - Jul 20th, 2007, 2:01pm

Way to go, Paul! And afterward, you went for smoked barbeque to go with the smoked df's?

Bud
* 2009 RANS F-5 Pro
* 2009 RANS XStream
* 2004 RANS Screamer
My Blog - uneasy-rider.com
WWW   IP Logged
FlyingLaZBoy

'16 ICE SprintX fs,
'16 Rocket, '12 KHS
Mocha

Reply #3 - Jul 20th, 2007, 3:38pm

Quote from Richard on Jul 20th, 2007, 12:29pm:
Paul,
You look like you are really working in that pic. Speaking of medical, hows the eyeball? I want to have that surgery. $$$ Shocked

The pic was shot at the finish line....    

The eye is just fine, basically.  This was a cataract bubble issue, and they replaced my "natural" lens with the "Crystalens" model that has the ability to flex.  After surgery, you do a regimen of "eye workouts" to strengthen the focusing muscles.  I don't have reading vision back, but it's definitely better than the other eye with a fixed lens.

Paul

"A hundred miles on a bike? How many
days does that take you?"

Email FlyingLaZBoy   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print