Welcome, Guest. Please Login.
rbent - Recumbent Bike Enthusiasts of North Texas
May 21st, 2024, 1:58pm
News: Want to join the rbent Forum? See this thread.
Home Help Search Login

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Peach Pedal 2007 (Read 2441 times)
robert.j

rbent member

Peach Pedal 2007
Jul 14th, 2007, 11:16pm

What a great day for a bike ride!  74 degrees in mid July and almost no wind?  Met up with Ken, Steve and his wife (was it Katy? - I apologize for my bad memory Tongue) at the start.  Started out about 7:40 in a pretty large crowd.  I went a couple of hundred yards and realized my speedometer magnet wasn't picking up, so made a quick stop and realigned it all.  Caught back up with Steve, talked for a while with them and then headed out in pursuit of Ken.  Caught up to him at the top of a steep hill.  Learned that Bachetta's are faster than Actionbents on downhills trying to catch up to him.  Never saw Ken or Steve after that.  I opted for the 40 miler, I think Ken headed out on the 100K.  Though there were a few steep hills, mostly gentle grades and lots of flat up to the last 8 miles.  Somewhere along the way I missed a turn and got off the 40 mile route and on the 100K.  Actually it resulted in me doing less mileage so I ended up with 38.4 miles.  The last 8 miles or so was almost all uphill, some of it steep.  But overall probably the fastest I ever rode 40 miles.  Other than a poorly marked turn and a few sections of bad road it was a good event.  Plenty of stuff at all the rest stops.  SOOooo different from last year's 97 degrees and 100% humidity.  Lots of fast DFs to challenge me to uphold the honor of bents!
A few pictures below.  First time I've tried to use photobucket so can't promise they work.
Robert

http://i199.photobucket.com/albums/aa186/sproulfan/PeachPedal2007003.jpg
http://i199.photobucket.com/albums/aa186/sproulfan/PeachPedal2007002.jpg
http://i199.photobucket.com/albums/aa186/sproulfan/PeachPedal2007001.jpg

Robert Johnson
Bacchetta Corsa
Ventana Mtn Bike
Barcroft Columbia Tandem
Sun EZ1
1970ish French Roold
Email   IP Logged
FooRider

baccheater   '06
Corsa

Re: Peach Pedal 2007
Reply #1 - Jul 15th, 2007, 7:52am

At first, I thought you meant Steve and Peggy (a.k.a., "The Stradas"), but after viewing your pictures I wondered if you meant the couple in the second picture.  I saw them at several rallies last year, but have never met them—which never used to strike me as unusual, but is starting to feel that way since I've started running with RBENT.  "What??  They're riding Bacchettas and I don't know them?  In-con-ceivable!!"  

I found your impressions of the Peach Pedal interesting.  My wife and I did that ride two years ago, when I was still riding a DF bike.  It was plenty hot that day, and I remember having to walk part of one of those steep hills toward the end.  I don't know whether it was a) lack of conditioning, b) pain from riding a wedgie all day, c) heat exhaustion (I remember having chills), or d) all of the above, but it was a rough day for me.  

I remember stopping on one of those long, steep climbs to try and get my legs back.  I hadn't noticed, but I'd stopped right in front of an auto body repair shop, and its resident junkyard cur—a wild-eyed, slavering cousin of Cerberus—came running out to bark and growl at me.  I was too tired to be much alarmed.  Instead I looked him in the eye, extended one depleted leg, and said, "Go ahead.  Do your worst.  I hope you choke on it."

The dog shut up, cocked its head to one side, looked at me for a second before deciding I was deranged, and then trotted back into the shop.

We haven't been back, primarily because we didn't enjoy the nightmare of having to spend over an hour trying to creep through the gridlock to get out of town after the ride.  That said, you've got me curious about how I'd manage that route on the recumbent.

« Last Edit: Jul 15th, 2007, 4:04pm by FooRider »  

Lie Back. Ride hard. Grin like a monkey.
WWW   IP Logged
robert.j

rbent member

Reply #2 - Jul 15th, 2007, 10:18am

It is the couple on one of the pics.  He's sstexex on our board.
This was my second time to ride the Peach Pedal.  Last year may have been the least enjoyable ride ever.  Too hot and too humid.  Last year I think I made it up the hill you're talking about, but just barely.  Lots of people were just about passed out on that one, stopped along the side of the road draped over their bikes, over even lying on the ground.  This year was a lot different, though still a lot of people struggled on that hill.  I was having a good day.  Never got lower than the middle chainring, felt strong the whole time.  Other than that hill and a couple of others I pretty much was in the big chainring the entire time.  Amazing what some cool weather will do for you!
Traffic was still bad however...

Robert Johnson
Bacchetta Corsa
Ventana Mtn Bike
Barcroft Columbia Tandem
Sun EZ1
1970ish French Roold
Email   IP Logged
Rawhide

rbent member

Reply #3 - Jul 15th, 2007, 2:09pm

I was out there with my bro-in-law (Jay).  First time I had done this ride and man is it a bent friendly course.  We did the 40 miles mainly because Jay just hasn't gotten much training in this year.  I could not believe the amount of people walking up some of the hills.  None of them were that bad to me.  I had to unleash the Corsa several times and let her fly up some of them then wait for Jay.  Passed lots of DF's on many climbs where the riders were standing and grinding away.  Saw Richard out there and a guy on a V3 with some swanky carbon wheels.      

D J Boyd
Bacchetta Carbon Corsa
Bacchetta Corsa
Rans Rocket GL63
Vision R40
Email   IP Logged
catroad254

rbent member

Reply #4 - Jul 15th, 2007, 3:24pm

The amount of climbing on the 100K was only behind Muenster and Aledo. Plenty to work the legs. Thankfully the weather was cool and I didn't burn out like last week. It was good to see a lot of bents. In addition to those already mentioned I also saw Dianna at the ride.

I think this ride needs to improve the location of the rest stops. They need to be on the right side of the road and have plenty of room for people to get their bikes off the road. One stop was at a freeway exit so there was also a lot of car traffic mixed in. I'm not sure that I will make the long drive to do this one again.

Ken

Peach_Pedal.png
Email   IP Logged
catroad254

rbent member

Reply #5 - Jul 15th, 2007, 3:46pm

Email   IP Logged
Richard

rbent member

Reply #6 - Jul 15th, 2007, 3:52pm

It was good to see so many of the RBENT gang at the ride. Thanks to Michael on his black Burley for hangin with me on those grinding inclines. The most striking thing to me was the weather, how cool, literally. I drove in from Mineral Wells and what a misty, foggy, delightful ride. Remember,its July in Texas, supposed to be 98 degrees with high humidity! Last year I almost burnt my bagel. That one looong uphill, I was raining sweat and could hear my heart pounding in my ears. Not so this year. The first half of the 40 miler was great. I liked those rollers, you could scream down one and almost coast to the top of the next, that was fun. In the second half, the grade increased and for the slow to medium riders it was difficult. No complaints, except for the areas of unpaved/large gravel patches along the way and one deadly turn.  You come into the corner with speed to discover there is gravel all over the place. And Foo, you were right about the traffic. Next year DO NOT go out on 51. Its worse than the morning commute to down town Dallas. Only took 3 pics, thought I had lost my camera, only to find it had migrated to the very bottom of my bag. See Peach Pedal 07

http://picasaweb.google.com/drahcirrepooc  

Modified Bentech
Bacchetta Corsa

It's aaaliiiiiiiive!
  IP Logged
diannalightning
Five Star Member

rbent member

Reply #7 - Jul 15th, 2007, 4:23pm

It was good to see Ken, Richard and Michael.  I must admit that I was confused when the 40 mile broke off from the 100K route after rest stop #5.  In past years it hasn't broken off at that point, but the last 14 miles were in beautiful countryside.  The couple I was with ( on the EZ tandem) and I stayed around for a little while, went to the festival, but alais, all of the peach ice cream was gone. Bummer.

IP Logged
sstexex

rbent member

Reply #8 - Jul 15th, 2007, 9:04pm

We also missed the 40 mile turnoff after rest stop #5 but doubled back to finish. The first time the 40s and 100k split was well marked but the 2nd time, not so much.

sstexex

Email   IP Logged
Killer Bee
Five Star Member

CA2.0 proto type

Reply #9 - Jul 16th, 2007, 4:29pm

Very so-so ride. I'm not sure if I will ride the Peach Pedal next year. The rest stops were poorly stocked,& the 100K route had riders crossing an overpass with 18-wheelers over I-20. If I want to ride with 18-wheelers,I'll ride on the N.Dallas Tollway. I guess some ride organizers don't get it.

The reviews on bicycle-stuff.com are not very complimentary either. I started late(due to some friends who didn't pre-register),but did manage to see Richard.  The Peach fest was either out of everything or getting ready run out. TOO many people.

I like carbon fiber
Email   IP Logged
FlyingLaZBoy

'16 ICE SprintX fs,
'16 Rocket, '12 KHS
Mocha

Reply #10 - Jul 20th, 2007, 10:42am

That elevation map looks like a VERy unfriendly last 20 miles...

"A hundred miles on a bike? How many
days does that take you?"

Email FlyingLaZBoy   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print