Welcome, Guest. Please Login.
rbent - Recumbent Bike Enthusiasts of North Texas
May 2nd, 2024, 8:59am
News: Want to join the rbent Forum? See this thread.
Home Help Search Login

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
2007 Mesquite Rodeo Ride (Read 4932 times)
FooRider

baccheater   '06
Corsa

2007 Mesquite Rodeo Ride
Jun 2nd, 2007, 3:27pm

I've been back on the bike and participating in charity rallies since 2004, but I had never tried the Mesquite ride before.  At the urging of the Stradas and a couple of DF buddies from the Plano club, I signed myself up for the 56-mile course.  My wife, Cheryl, signed up for the 20.

It takes the two of us a bit longer to get our collective show on the road and to get unloaded and set up, so we arrived at the Resistol arena (or Mesquite Convention Center... whatever) at around 7am.  As a result, we got a prime handicap parking spot next to the hotel and set about setting up her handcycle and my bike.  And then we waited.  And waited.  By a few minutes before 8:00, Cheryl had returned from her pre-ride pit stop, and we still hadn't seen a single familiar face on a recumbent.  I later learned that this was because everyone else had parked on the complete opposite side of the convention center.

But no matter.  With a few minutes to spare, we made our way to the starting pack where Cheryl met Richard and Linda, and I hooked up with my bunch.  The start was... awkward.  Fred Flintstoning it up a grade to start on a wet street with a bunch of high-strung DF riders is not the ideal way to begin a ride, but we managed and set about picking our way through the pack toward clear air.  The Stradas and I quickly got separated from Paul, Ken, and a couple other guys I didn't know but probably should have met.

Early on, I was impressed with the traffic control, not only for the motorists but also in the way that we cyclists were funneled to where we needed to be by means of liberal application of road cones.  Sure, it made things a little dodgy having to at the same time avoid cones knocked over by inattentive riders and greasy-looking puddles on the streets—but there were half a dozen intersections and lane transitions that would have been much less safe without them.  Route layout and intersection were, with few exceptions, better than for the Wild Ride, and that's saying something.  I thought the route was a nice mix of urban and country riding, and while I could have done without some of the teeth-rattling, multiply-patched sections of pavement, sometimes that's just the price you pay for beautiful scenery and the not-entirely-unpleasant tang of cow poo in your nostrils.

The route was, at once, less hilly than I'd heard in the past and more hilly than more recent reports had led me to believe.  Maybe it was just that I was having an off day (or feeling the effects of not having ridden in nearly two weeks), but it seemed like we did an awful lot of climbing for the less than 1500 feet of elevation gain the ride is supposed to have.  But it was all good, and the best part is that instead of getting smacked by the thunderstorms that were predicted, we got a nice, sunny day.

And Blue Bell ice cream for afters.

I kind of wish that there had been a chance to knock down my sixth metric of the year, but given that I thought I might have to downshift to one of the shorter routes because of the weather, 56 miles (and change) is just fine. Motorists were sharing the road nicely, we didn't have any unpleasant racerboy encounters, and the company couldn't have been better.  Unless...

Nah.  Scratch that.  I don't know if Jessica Alba even knows how to ride a bike.

« Last Edit: Jun 3rd, 2007, 6:25am by FooRider »  

Lie Back. Ride hard. Grin like a monkey.
WWW   IP Logged
aikigreg

recumbent ninja

Re: 2007 Mesquite Rodeo Ride
Reply #1 - Jun 2nd, 2007, 9:25pm

Well, I was disappointed with the ride on many levels, except for the fine company of recumbents I had.

It's never easy getting my wife in the morning - heck, it's hard to get myself up - so we were out the door later than I expected, in spite of having everything ready the night before.  By the time I got the bikes off and ready to roll, it was 5 minutes till start and I had to go potty.  There was a long line.  Didn't make a difference though - the start was so congested I was walking my bike all the way to the starting line.  The continuing morass of peope put me in kind of a foul mood.  The streets were too narrow going through mesquite for such a big group - especially when so many riders didn't know what they were doing.  

I took my anger out on the cranks though.  My computer doesn't calculate running average (I gotta get a new computer) but at the end of the first hour I was more than 26 miles into the ride, in spite of the slow start and slow riding for the first 5 miles or so.   I wanted to stay and talk to to Foo a while when I caught him, but it was just too crowded and I was just going to be irritated crawling along wobbly riders.

Catching Paul was fun - he cut me a merry path through many pissed off roadies who couldn't believe they were being passed by 2 recumbents!   Ran into Terry when he tried to steal my TiCa at the potty (hands off, buddy!).

The  course seemed flat as a pancake - hard to believe it was 1500 feet, but I've ridden extremely hilly courses for almost every ride I've been on this year, and 1700 miles of steep makes 1500 feet light weight, I guess.  

*BUT* I can't believe that I survived those insane potholes, cracks, and the like, survived getting spit on by a chick who turned her head LEFT instead of RIGHT when she was ON THE FREAKING EDGE OF THE RIGHT SIDE OF THE ROAD, and a paceline of pissed off roadies who were overtaken by me twice (2nd time after a potty stop) who dropped three water bottles in their haste to catch me, only to be taken down by a two-bit patch of water and gravel.  The 10 foot skid was amusing, not to mention my arse hanging out of my shorts and the sting of the wind the last five miles.  If I sound a little bitter, it's the pain.  

I gotta tell you, showering and subsequent spraying of aintibacterial solution is no picnic, boys & girls.   Sitting isn't exactly cake & ice cream either.  Still, I won't get too upset if the wound closes in time for a ride next saturday or sunday, and if this is the worst wound I ever get, I'll be a lucky man.

The speed gods giveth, and the gods taketh away.  Lowracers demand blood sacrifice (as evidenced by the chunk taken from my leg last year by the Fujin SL at an HPV race) but they repay in the sad looks of roadies fading in the rearview.   And they keep the bike healthy and whole.  Not a scratch to the bike other than the protective rubber edging on the seat and the edge of the pedals..  Not the tiniest nick in the carbon or the smallest scratch on the rear derailleur.

Lunch was good, company was excellent, and it just reaffirms my opinion that we need to have more RBENT get-togethers.  

I leave for portland on MOnday.  I'll be back for the firecracker 100 on June 30.   Wish me luck on the HPV races in Detroit June 23 & 24.

I'm in it to Schwinn it.
Email   IP Logged
Bud_Bent

Reply #2 - Jun 2nd, 2007, 9:37pm

Is this like the proverbial story of the guy who gets a new sports car, and it's so fast, he has a wreck in it right off the bat?

Here's wishing a speedy recovery.

Bud
* 2009 RANS F-5 Pro
* 2009 RANS XStream
* 2004 RANS Screamer
My Blog - uneasy-rider.com
WWW   IP Logged
aikigreg

recumbent ninja

Reply #3 - Jun 2nd, 2007, 10:15pm

The b!tch of it is that I had slowed down for a nice easy curve that had an incline into it, with water at the very base.  Never saw the gravel.

Anyhoo - just ordered a set of these:  I need a new pair to replace the assless chaps that today's shorts have become.

http://www.bikemania.biz/ProductDetails.asp?ProductCode=Domino%5FCS%5F400&Ca rtID=1

I'm in it to Schwinn it.
Email   IP Logged
FlyingLaZBoy

'16 ICE SprintX fs,
'16 Rocket, '12 KHS
Mocha

Reply #4 - Jun 2nd, 2007, 11:16pm

Quote from aikigreg on Jun 2nd, 2007, 9:25pm:

It's never easy getting my wife in the morning -

Would you care to rephrase that, Greg????   Grin Grin Grin

"A hundred miles on a bike? How many
days does that take you?"

Email FlyingLaZBoy   IP Logged
FlyingLaZBoy

'16 ICE SprintX fs,
'16 Rocket, '12 KHS
Mocha

Reply #5 - Jun 2nd, 2007, 11:19pm

I had a very enjoyable ride, with very enjoyable and capable company...  It was fun "picking the spots" to go 30+ along the way, and one DF guy did his darndest to draft me for about 5 miles at 28...  I've even got a photo over my shoulder to prove it   Grin

Good riding with the Stradas and the Corsas, as well as getting together with everybody else!  I'll have photos posted later tomorrow.  Meanwhile, my left hamstring is STILL tight!!!!   embarrassed

« Last Edit: Jun 2nd, 2007, 11:20pm by FlyingLaZBoy »  

Bud_Bent

Reply #6 - Jun 2nd, 2007, 11:22pm

Quote from FlyingLaZBoy on Jun 2nd, 2007, 11:16pm:

Would you care to rephrase that, Greg???? Grin Grin Grin

Now we know why they were running late for the ride, huh?

Bud
* 2009 RANS F-5 Pro
* 2009 RANS XStream
* 2004 RANS Screamer
WWW   IP Logged
aikigreg

recumbent ninja

Reply #7 - Jun 2nd, 2007, 11:29pm

Quote from FlyingLaZBoy on Jun 2nd, 2007, 11:16pm:

Would you care to rephrase that, Greg???? Grin Grin Grin

Not really  cry

I'm in it to Schwinn it.
Email   IP Logged
FooRider

baccheater   '06
Corsa

Reply #8 - Jun 3rd, 2007, 6:35am

Quote from aikigreg on Jun 2nd, 2007, 10:15pm:
The b!tch of it is that I had slowed down for a nice easy curve that had an incline into it, with water at the very base. Never saw the gravel.

Was that the left turn immediately followed by a right sweeper where the EMTs were warning everyone of sand in the curve?  Steve and I both had the same thought about just leaning into that one and swooping through it, but held back because of the warning.

I was kind of surprised to see how your shorts had shredded.  How fast were you going?  When I went down during a club ride last year, I was doing about 20 and slid about 15 yards.  My $40 shorts suffered a few BB-sized holes but held together.  My road rash was a burn that took a few weeks to heal, but I didn't have any abrasion to speak of.

By the way, the guys who model those shorts in the photos stuff with gym socks.  Your mileage may vary.   Roll Eyes

Quote from FlyingLaZBoy on Jun 2nd, 2007, 11:19pm:
It was fun "picking the spots" to go 30+ along the way, and one DF guy did his darndest to draft me for about 5 miles at 28...

Was that after you joined up with the "Bacchetta bunch"?  I think I might remember the guy you're talking about.  There was a stretch—a rare stretch where I was at the front—where we were all swapping positions and passing a lot of people.  As I came around this one guy, I thought I'd given him a polite distance before pulling back to the right, but when I looked in my mirror he was right there on my wheel.  Thinking I'd cut him off and feeling embarrassed, I stepped on the gas and quickly put some distance between us.  When I looked back again, he was right on your tail... drafting, you say?  That's funny.   Grin

« Last Edit: Jun 3rd, 2007, 6:57am by FooRider »  

WWW   IP Logged
Bud_Bent

Reply #9 - Jun 3rd, 2007, 6:52am

Come to think of it, when I went down at speed two years ago, I had some mild road rash on my backside through the Insport Brute shorts I was wearing, but the shorts didn't even tear where they skidded, and I still wear that pair today! I picked up a new pair on ebay for $12, and I've seen another online place that sells them for $19. Maybe I'd better stay with that model and brand for riding.  

I guess the road surface can make a difference, too.

Bud
* 2009 RANS F-5 Pro
* 2009 RANS XStream
* 2004 RANS Screamer
WWW   IP Logged
FlyingLaZBoy

'16 ICE SprintX fs,
'16 Rocket, '12 KHS
Mocha

Reply #10 - Jun 3rd, 2007, 8:36am

Here are my shots;  

http://good-times.webshots.com/album/559292207vYbZPS?vhost=good-times  

I may have misnamed a couple people -- Sue / Linda / Richard / Steve?

Paul

« Last Edit: Jun 3rd, 2007, 12:07pm by FlyingLaZBoy »  

FlyingLaZBoy

'16 ICE SprintX fs,
'16 Rocket, '12 KHS
Mocha

Reply #11 - Jun 3rd, 2007, 8:43am

Quote from FooRider on Jun 3rd, 2007, 6:35am:

Was that after you joined up with the "Bacchetta bunch"?  I think I might remember the guy you're talking about.  There was a stretch—a rare stretch where I was at the front—where we were all swapping positions and passing a lot of people.  As I came around this one guy, I thought I'd given him a polite distance before pulling back to the right, but when I looked in my mirror he was right there on my wheel.  Thinking I'd cut him off and feeling embarrassed, I stepped on the gas and quickly put some distance between us.  When I looked back again, he was right on your tail... drafting, you say?  That's funny.   Grin

No, actually this was shortly after I'd stopped at the 15 mile rest stop, I think.  I've got a photo of the guy in my pics.   I was flying past everyone, and I heard him tell his girlfriend, "I'm gonna go..." and heard him come up.  After about 30 seconds, I called back to him, "If you can draft it, you're welcome to it!"  He said, "Heck I love it!"  Then I heard his girlfriend, who had apparently sprinted along with him, say, "why so slow???"  So I cranked it up above 30...  and she dropped off, but he didn't.  It was fun...  We chatted a bit when we finally slowed down, to wait on his g/f.

I do remember the guy you describe, though -- he didn't last long on my wheel  Wink  

Bud, sorry you couldn't make it!!!!!!

« Last Edit: Jun 3rd, 2007, 8:44am by FlyingLaZBoy »  

FooRider

baccheater   '06
Corsa

Reply #12 - Jun 3rd, 2007, 10:04am

Great work on the photos, Paul.  Would you mind if I linked a couple of them from my blog?

WWW   IP Logged
aikigreg

recumbent ninja

Reply #13 - Jun 3rd, 2007, 12:00pm

The shorts I was wearing were cheap nashbar/performance splice shorts.  Extremely thin.  Th emajority of my other shorts are much thicker, but I'll be wearing my new leather chaps when I ride for speed Smiley

I went down at the baseball field - but I remember the place you're talking about.

I'm in it to Schwinn it.
Email   IP Logged
FlyingLaZBoy

'16 ICE SprintX fs,
'16 Rocket, '12 KHS
Mocha

Reply #14 - Jun 3rd, 2007, 12:03pm

Quote from FooRider on Jun 3rd, 2007, 10:04am:
Great work on the photos, Paul.  Would you mind if I linked a couple of them from my blog?

Anything I put up is for public consumption...  go fer it...

PB

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print