Welcome, Guest. Please Login.
rbent - Recumbent Bike Enthusiasts of North Texas
May 2nd, 2024, 11:17am
News: Want to join the rbent Forum? See this thread.
Home Help Search Login

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
2007 Collin Classic (Read 2518 times)
FooRider

baccheater   '06
Corsa

2007 Collin Classic
Jun 9th, 2007, 6:56pm

The 16th Collin Classic was a very different ride from the 14th Collin Classic I first took part in, back in 2005.  That one was beastly hot, the 50-something mile route was crazy with large-aggregate chip seal, and I was still suffering on a DF bike.  After what seemed at the time like an ungodly amount of climbing, we had to battle up one of the vicious hills on the frontage road running south along US-75—only to arrive at McKinney High School to find that the Chipotle eats we'd been promised had been replaced with jelly sandwiches or rubbery hot dogs.  Some people were irate because the t-shirts had run out, and they'd been given headsweats instead.

The Classic took a lot of knocks that year, and Mike Keel took them to heart.  In 2006, there was a lot less chip seal, the giant hill at the end had been deleted from the route, and there was pizza and fajita tacos for afters.  This year, the improvements to the 55-mile route (in fact, 53.72 miles) continued.  There were still plenty of hills to climb, but I can't remember a ride route that had such a high percentage of smooth, well-maintained pavement. There was a small amount of chip seal, but it didn't feel particularly rough to me.  Either it had been broken in, or running my tires a couple PSI softer this year helped.  There was no wind to fight, and the heat wasn't bad.

It was a good day.

I started off with The Stradas and CorsaKen, but because of traffic and a mechanical glitch, I quickly became separated from The Stradas.  Not long after, I lost Ken as well.  Without any social governor to keep my need for speed in check, I set about the business of passing... well, everyone.  I hadn't started out feeling particularly spry, but my legs warmed up and the HRM showed an average around 160 bpm (not unreasonable, for me).  By mile 30, the crowd had thinned a bit, and I pulled in to the rest stop to wait for the Stradas so we could regroup. When they arrived, we compared computer readings and found we'd been averaging 18.5 mph.

A bit further down the road, Peggy took a spill at a railroad crossing and got banged up a bit.  She's a trooper, though, and after taking a few minutes to clean her injuries, we were all back on the road.  We all made it across the finish line at around 3 hours and 15 minutes, in plenty of time to chow down.

Notwithstanding my glowing review of the Wild Ride, the 16th Collin Classic might have replaced it as my best for-pay ride experience of this season, if the route had been about 10 miles longer and if I'd spent less time separated from my riding buddies

« Last Edit: Jun 10th, 2007, 5:27pm by FooRider »  

Lie Back. Ride hard. Grin like a monkey.
WWW   IP Logged
robert.j

rbent member

Re: 2007 Collin Classic
Reply #1 - Jun 9th, 2007, 8:59pm

I also was at the Collin Classic.  Sorry I didn't meet up with many others, but I got there a little late and was at the back of the lineup.  Did briefly talk to a couple of other bent riders I caught up to along the way and a trike driver.  Once the crowd thinned out I kept the speed up to 19-20.  That lasted till just after the 2nd rest stop where I started feeling cramps coming on.  Slowed it down to 16-18 and was OK till the last rest stop.  Fought cramps the rest of the way in, stopping once to work them out.  
Though the track was good, I felt the humidity/heat was very bad, at least after 10:30 or so.  The hills were not as bad as what I ride every day around Keller, only one that even counted around mile 23 or somewhere in there.  Maybe a little hillier than the first day of the MS150.  Other than that I was in the large chainring the entire ride.  Because there was no wind it was actually hotter at the rest stops than it was moving on the bike.  I'd prefer there was a little wind just because it tends to keep the humidity down.
When we got in they were out of food, other than that no gripes about the course, management, etc.  Long rides (anything over about 30 miles in the heat) are always hard for me due to cramps, so I probably should just try to stick to the 40ish routes unless I find a cure.

Robert Johnson
Bacchetta Corsa
Ventana Mtn Bike
Barcroft Columbia Tandem
Sun EZ1
1970ish French Roold
Email   IP Logged
FlyingLaZBoy

'16 ICE SprintX fs,
'16 Rocket, '12 KHS
Mocha

Reply #2 - Jun 9th, 2007, 9:30pm

OUch, sorry Peggy went down... hope bike and rider are OK...  Tracks are definitely treacherous!!!!!

Opus and I crossed paths with CCC riders for about 100 yards today, on our Sherman ride, but it looked like a 20-mile type of group...

Paul

"A hundred miles on a bike? How many
days does that take you?"

Email FlyingLaZBoy   IP Logged
FooRider

baccheater   '06
Corsa

Reply #3 - Jun 9th, 2007, 9:54pm

Yeah, we crossed paths with a few of them, too.   Grin

WWW   IP Logged
aikigreg

recumbent ninja

Reply #4 - Jun 10th, 2007, 12:38am

Has peggy got a set of assless chaps like me now?    Wink

Hope you're all better now Peggy!

I'm in it to Schwinn it.
Email   IP Logged
Killer Bee
Five Star Member

CA2.0 proto type

Reply #5 - Jun 10th, 2007, 10:49am

She's fine. As we all know,if you're going to ride,you're going to fall. She dusted herself off(with the help of FooRider & myself) and carried on. We just go back from a 14.5 mile recovery ride. She's a little sore but that's to be expected. Just a few bups/bruises.

No assless chaps. She took the beating on her lower legs & right hip. There's someting about RR crossings & the Petty's that just don't jive(I broke my hand last year at the Twin Lakes Challenge ride at the RR crossing in Farmersville). So word to the wise...give us space on RR track crossings...we're dangerous.

Thanks for the wll wishes.

-Steve

I like carbon fiber
Email   IP Logged
FooRider

baccheater   '06
Corsa

Reply #6 - Jun 10th, 2007, 5:31pm

Quote from Strada177 on Jun 10th, 2007, 10:49am:
So word to the wise...give us space on RR track crossings...we're dangerous.

It doesn't hurt to keep an eye out for the odd water bottle either.   Roll Eyes

WWW   IP Logged
Killer Bee
Five Star Member

CA2.0 proto type

Reply #7 - Jun 10th, 2007, 7:32pm

Especially when it's PINK!!!!!

I like carbon fiber
Email   IP Logged
suecoop-Linda

rbent member

Reply #8 - Jun 10th, 2007, 9:51pm

I saw a few of ya'll yesterday and am starting to learn faces.  A neat things happened as I was waiting for Richard to finish his ride.  Two DF riders sat with me and when they found out I rode a bent they were telling me all about the guy they see at White Rock on a bent that they have tried to keep up with....but can't.  Couldn't help but be a little proud that I have joined bent riders.....although NOT at the speed that these guys were talking about.  
I'm with FooRider, I think this was a great ride.  Although I am certainly not an authority with this only being my second rally.  I liked the course, the organization, the police and volunteers directing traffic and hazards, and folks working the stops.  There were a couple of irrate folks in cars who didn't seem to be too happy though.   The only problem I saw was that they ran out of food by the time the last riders were getting there, which was good for the guys selling smoothies.  
Hope to see some of you next weekend at the Tour de Italia!
Linda

Specialize Mountain Bike
(killing my wrists!)

Lightning Thunderbolt
  IP Logged
aikigreg

recumbent ninja

Reply #9 - Jun 11th, 2007, 12:05am

Linda - that would be Mark Leuck on his baron.  He's a fast rider for sure, and owns WRL.

Oh, and for anyone with road roash, may I sugget tegaderm?  I am now completely healed thanks to it.  About to write a report on the main forum.

I'm in it to Schwinn it.
Email   IP Logged
MrOverdressed
Five Star Member

rbent member

Reply #10 - Jun 11th, 2007, 2:51am

Quote from FooRider on Jun 10th, 2007, 5:31pm:
Quote from Strada177 on Jun 10th, 2007, 10:49am:
So word to the wise...give us space on RR track crossings...we're dangerous.

It doesn't hurt to keep an eye out for the odd water bottle either.   Roll Eyes

On the Austin to Ft Worth Tour I came across an orphaned water bottle in the middle of the road.  I thought it would be "Cool" to reach out and snatch it up cowboy-style and find its owner at the next rest stop.  Not wise!  As this is a maneuver someone would need to practice first.   I jammed my hand on the road.  Nothing Serious.  Felt like a twisted ankle.  Bottle left behind

« Last Edit: Jun 11th, 2007, 2:53am by MrOverdressed »  

Happy Trails! Smiley
Terry Pickl
  IP Logged
FooRider

baccheater   '06
Corsa

Reply #11 - Jun 11th, 2007, 7:27am

I'm less suave than that.  When my evasive actions failed, the errant bottle easily countering my every tack, I yelled "STOPPING!!", unclipped, and gracelessly planted both feet.  To the riders behind me, I looked like a total wobbly* while the bottle slipped discreetly into the ditch, chuckling quietly to itself.

I had Peggy laughing so hard that she fell off her bike, but she was kind enough to make it look accidental.  The railroad tracks made it look especially convincing.

* An inexperienced cyclist who rides unsteadily and/or unpredictably.  Seen in abundance at the start of most rallies and on the paths around White Rock Lake.  Comparable to a squirrel, which refers to a more experienced (but no less random) rider.

« Last Edit: Jun 11th, 2007, 7:43am by FooRider »  

WWW   IP Logged
Richard

rbent member

Reply #12 - Jun 11th, 2007, 9:27am

Hey Foo,

I once ran over one of our  poor squirrel nature buddies. He paused on the side of the road like a 9 year old crossing a railroad crossing, looking franticly back and forth. As I approached, at the last moment he darts in a flash across the road, all the way to the other side ahead of me. Safe! Then in a moment of insanity or some demented self sacrifice, or maybe he left a good nut behind, he darts back across the road directly under my tire. It was a Vonnegut like moment. I still get a weird feeling when I see someone riding or driving in a "squirrely" manner.

Modified Bentech
Bacchetta Corsa

It's aaaliiiiiiiive!
  IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print