Welcome, Guest. Please Login.
rbent - Recumbent Bike Enthusiasts of North Texas
May 2nd, 2024, 11:13am
News: Want to join the rbent Forum? See this thread.
Home Help Search Login

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
LSR Mineral Wells 600K 5/26 (Read 1401 times)
Kwijybow
Five Star Member

mostly a commuter

LSR Mineral Wells 600K 5/26
May 28th, 2007, 12:17pm

Hi guys,

The 600K is in the books!  Not as fast as I would have liked, but conditions were reasonably tough, and the course is not what I would call recumbent friendly.  Lots of climbing and rough chip seal.  We started in the rain, but it stopped within the hour, and only hit us lightly a couple times in the afternoon, when it was quite welcome to cool things off.  I could really have used some cool rain on Sunday afternoon when it was brutally hot climbing Cherry Pie Hill.  I made the (correct I think) decision to ride through the night, as I like the the night riding best!  Much better than the hot windy afternoons!  Sorry I missed seeing you at the start Greg.  Support was wonderful, and the LSR crowd is a great bunch of folks.  Hope to get some of you guys out for the 6/23 brevets.  

Take Care,
Nelson.

Commuter 1Cheesyavidson Impulse
Commuter 2: Motobecane Fixie
Commuter 3: Salsa Journeyman
Recumbent 1: Schlitter Encore 20
recumbent 2: Bacchetta Ti Aero
Email   IP Logged
aikigreg

recumbent ninja

Re: LSR Mineral Wells 600K 5/26
Reply #1 - May 28th, 2007, 2:27pm

You didn't see me cause I wasn't there!   Grin  When I got up it was pouring rain here, and after having rained all day Friday I figured the roads would be too slick and dangerous, and I just didn't want to take a risk of riding all day in the rain, since it tends to really sap my energy quickly.   Sounds like I should have done it anyway, the way you describe it.  Nicely done my friend!  I don't think I'll ever do a 600k, just because there are too many idiots driving in the DAY, and I believe the IQ decreases at nightfall.  Still, it would have been nice to do the 200k before I had to leave for Portland.  It'll have to wait untilI get back I guess!

I'm in it to Schwinn it.
Email   IP Logged
Bud_Bent

Reply #2 - May 28th, 2007, 7:00pm

Congrats, Nelson! A 600k is quite a feat, something that many riders (including me, probably) will never accomplish.

Bud
* 2009 RANS F-5 Pro
* 2009 RANS XStream
* 2004 RANS Screamer
My Blog - uneasy-rider.com
WWW   IP Logged
Kwijybow
Five Star Member

mostly a commuter

Reply #3 - May 29th, 2007, 12:38am

Thanks Guys, I've been surprised at how much like the night portion of these rides.  After I left on the 2nd loop at 2am I saw maybe one car, and that was while I was stopped eating a clif bar.  A lady stopped when she saw me and asked if I was ok, people are always real nice when I'm on the recumbent.  My wife tells me its because when they see the recumbent they think I'm handicaped.  

Hope to join you for the next TTTT ride event.  Planning to change out the recumbent setup for more speed.  

Take Care,
Nelson.

Commuter 1Cheesyavidson Impulse
Commuter 2: Motobecane Fixie
Commuter 3: Salsa Journeyman
Recumbent 1: Schlitter Encore 20
recumbent 2: Bacchetta Ti Aero
Email   IP Logged
FooRider

baccheater   '06
Corsa

Reply #4 - May 29th, 2007, 5:42pm

That's awesome, Nelson.  Just the notion of riding that sort of distance solo blows my mind, but as I try to imagine being on the bike day and night, out there with the coyotes and the bats and the ninja armadillae with only the anemic glow of my 10W halogen light...  

Well, it's just plain eerie.  

I sure couldn't do that.  Good job!   Smiley

Lie Back. Ride hard. Grin like a monkey.
WWW   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print