Welcome, Guest. Please Login.
rbent - Recumbent Bike Enthusiasts of North Texas
May 1st, 2024, 3:18am
News: Want to join the rbent Forum? See this thread.
Home Help Search Login

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Thursday Night Torture  - May 17th (Read 3028 times)
Bud_Bent

Thursday Night Torture  - May 17th
May 18th, 2007, 12:13pm

This was just the usual Thursday night Texas Wheels ride, but there were some notable things about it. I got my first look at Greg's new Tica (awesome looking bike). He was settling for a Joe Pool dam ride while he learns to handle this bike, and looked like he was having quite an adventure taking off in that crowded parking lot (reminded me of my first takeoff tries on my first bent, a USS Tsunami which I first rode around a parking lot, except that I chose an EMPTY parking lot). How'd the ride go, Greg?

It was a perfect evening, close to 80 degrees with a light north wind. Mark Metcalfe showed up, decked out in his new 2007 RAAM jersey. Wow, spiffy! He explained to me that he was still in recovery mode after his Kansas City 600k last weekend, then promptly dropped me and slowly disappeared ahead of me in the distance, never to be seen again by me on this evening.

My average speed for the ride was 19.7 mph, so I'm still slowly gaining on my goal of 20 mph for this ride. A little maneuver I did let me once again discover that I hadn't reached my max heart rate on the Corsa, yet.  As we made the Lake Ridge turn and started up the first hill, I was, as I always am, riding at the back of the peloton. The three riders in front of me got dropped off the back. There was no point in my trying to catch the peloton, since I would get dropped a couple of miles ahead, on Texas Plume Road, anyway, but I couldn't resist finding out if I could. I pulled out and sprinted up the hill and reeled in the peloton. It was only after I got home and uploaded to my pc from my gps that I found out what my heart rate had reached during that little sprint: 205.

Bud
* 2009 RANS F-5 Pro
* 2009 RANS XStream
* 2004 RANS Screamer
My Blog - uneasy-rider.com
WWW   IP Logged
aikigreg

recumbent ninja

Re: Thursday Night Torture  - May 17th
Reply #1 - May 18th, 2007, 1:31pm

WOW - i think my ticker would burst at 205.  But I've been very happy with my strategy of busting arse to stay with the pack on the first hill, and then sprinting past them once we hit the downhill.  Next time I manage to hold onto that, I think I'll catch back up to them.

19.7 on that loop is outstanding!  I'm seriously jealous enough that I'm temped to get a carbon aero  Cheesy

The tica definately has a slow speed shortocming.  I'm concerned enough that I'm thinking it may not be for me.  I need to be able to navigate corners well.  I also could not make a u-turn on the dam.  But it may just be I need more adjustment time.  I'll make my decision at WRL on Sunday I think.

On the straights though, I rocked.  I have no idea of my speed, since I have no computer yet, but given the time when I got back to the car I'm fairly sure I kept it around 18-20 with only using the middle ring.  The bike climbs very well , and I only needed to go halfway down the cluster to charge up the hill at the far end.  This bike is L-O-W though!  Looking down at my torso, my body angle was such that I felt like I was nearly flat on my back.

Shifting was flawless, and the bike rock solid at speed - enough that I felt totally comfortable one handed already, even with a new bike and such a small tiller.

I'm in it to Schwinn it.
Email   IP Logged
Rawhide

rbent member

Reply #2 - May 18th, 2007, 1:35pm

Thanks for the ride report Bud.  I've only put 225 miles on the Corsa, still fiddling with getting it dialed in and my body adjusted to it.  Your avg MPH yesterday inspires me.  Way to go!  DJ

D J Boyd
Bacchetta Carbon Corsa
Bacchetta Corsa
Rans Rocket GL63
Vision R40
Email   IP Logged
Kwijybow
Five Star Member

mostly a commuter

Reply #3 - May 18th, 2007, 3:04pm

Bud that is an impressive HR max, I haven't in my life gone over 193 and that was a true max set during a 1:04 track Kilo when I was in the my low 20's.  Very impressive AVG! speed as well!

Greg I'm drooling to see you on that Tica.  Looking forward to seeing what it can do on the TTTT course.  I can remember having issues U-turning my Corsa when I was new to it last year, and now it seems like nothing.  Maybe you'll adjust.  I once say a lowracer do a quick direction change on a narrow road by just stopping, standing up with the bike like a kid's stick horse, turn 180 sit down and take off, not sure I coulda done it faster on an upright.

Have fun guys!

Commuter 1Cheesyavidson Impulse
Commuter 2: Motobecane Fixie
Commuter 3: Salsa Journeyman
Recumbent 1: Schlitter Encore 20
recumbent 2: Bacchetta Ti Aero
Email   IP Logged
aikigreg

recumbent ninja

Reply #4 - May 18th, 2007, 3:12pm

I never had any problem whatsoever with the baron once I got used to it, even with a dropped chain that rubbed the wheel, so I'm sure I'll get used to this one.  I've just put nearly 2k miles on the p-38 with no lowracer in between, so it's learning to ride all over again.

I'm in it to Schwinn it.
Email   IP Logged
Kwijybow
Five Star Member

mostly a commuter

Reply #5 - May 18th, 2007, 4:14pm

Not to Hijack the thread to a lowracer discussion, but what made you decide to get rid of the Baron?
I still think I'd like one of the more practical lowracers like a baron, or maybe a Fujin SL.

Take Care,
Nelson.

Commuter 1Cheesyavidson Impulse
Commuter 2: Motobecane Fixie
Commuter 3: Salsa Journeyman
Recumbent 1: Schlitter Encore 20
recumbent 2: Bacchetta Ti Aero
Email   IP Logged
aikigreg

recumbent ninja

Reply #6 - May 18th, 2007, 5:38pm

I was in search of lighter and faster.  The baron is awesome, for sure, but I had pushed t to the limit.

I'm in it to Schwinn it.
Email   IP Logged
aikigreg

recumbent ninja

Reply #7 - May 18th, 2007, 7:36pm

By the way Bud, did you get the present I left you Thursday Night?

I'm in it to Schwinn it.
Email   IP Logged
robert.j

rbent member

Reply #8 - May 18th, 2007, 9:04pm

Since your max heart rate is supposed to be 220 minus your age, a 205 rate means you're about 15!  I'd swear you look older than that!
I might make 168 if I really pound it up a hill.

Robert Johnson
Bacchetta Corsa
Ventana Mtn Bike
Barcroft Columbia Tandem
Sun EZ1
1970ish French Roold
Email   IP Logged
Bud_Bent

Reply #9 - May 18th, 2007, 9:11pm

Quote from robert.j on May 18th, 2007, 9:04pm:
Since your max heart rate is supposed to be 220 minus your age, a 205 rate means you're about 15! I'd swear you look older than that!
I might make 168 if I really pound it up a hill.

Yes, the standard formula certainly doesn't work for me. Stranger yet, two years ago, when I last wore a heart rate monitor, I used the long, drawn out, build up technique that you're supposed to use to determine your max heart rate, and only managed a 183. My first ride with this Garmin 305 on my Corsa, I hit 185. Then I hit 189 on another ride, and now 205. And your max heart rate is only supposed to get lower as you age. Maybe it's my second childhood.......

Bud
* 2009 RANS F-5 Pro
* 2009 RANS XStream
* 2004 RANS Screamer
WWW   IP Logged
Bud_Bent

Reply #10 - May 18th, 2007, 10:06pm

Quote from aikigreg on May 18th, 2007, 7:36pm:
By the way Bud, did you get the present I left you Thursday Night?

As a matter of fact, I did. Thank you very much! Smiley

Bud
* 2009 RANS F-5 Pro
* 2009 RANS XStream
* 2004 RANS Screamer
WWW   IP Logged
Rose Pedals

rbent member

Reply #11 - May 18th, 2007, 10:10pm

Quote from aikigreg on May 18th, 2007, 1:31pm:
WOW - i think my ticker would burst at 205. But I've been very happy with my strategy of busting arse to stay with the pack on the first hill, and then sprinting past them once we hit the downhill. Next time I manage to hold onto that, I think I'll catch back up to them.

19.7 on that loop is outstanding! I'm seriously jealous enough that I'm temped to get a carbon aero Cheesy

The tica definately has a slow speed shortocming. I'm concerned enough that I'm thinking it may not be for me. I need to be able to navigate corners well. I also could not make a u-turn on the dam. But it may just be I need more adjustment time. I'll make my decision at WRL on Sunday I think.

On the straights though, I rocked. I have no idea of my speed, since I have no computer yet, but given the time when I got back to the car I'm fairly sure I kept it around 18-20 with only using the middle ring. The bike climbs very well , and I only needed to go halfway down the cluster to charge up the hill at the far end. This bike is L-O-W though! Looking down at my torso, my body angle was such that I felt like I was nearly flat on my back.

Shifting was flawless, and the bike rock solid at speed - enough that I felt totally comfortable one handed already, even with a new bike and such a small tiller.

Shall we start calling you....LowRidinGregco?

« Last Edit: May 18th, 2007, 10:20pm by Bud_Bent »  

Rose

I'm not short; I'm aerodynamic!
  IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print