Welcome, Guest. Please Login.
rbent - Recumbent Bike Enthusiasts of North Texas
May 2nd, 2024, 12:02pm
News: Want to join the rbent Forum? See this thread.
Home Help Search Login

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Cross Timbers Century. (Read 1054 times)
aikigreg

recumbent ninja

Cross Timbers Century.
May 19th, 2007, 5:31pm

This was a very underattended ride - perhaps because of the Richardson Wild Ride, but also because as I pull away from the nouse and start noth, the rain starts a-fallin.  It got steadily worse as I got to the Texas Motor Speedway for the start, but once I arrived it stopped.

The parking was in the parking lot on the race track infield, which was kind cool.  The first mileage you put on your rde is one la around the track.  The bank on that sucker in UNBELIEVEABLY high.  I had thought it was high enough at the Xenia track we raced on last year, but this sucker rquires spider-man like abilities.   I was one of the few with the guts to lap the track on it though - I was kinda used to it from having raced at such a venue before.  

Of course the moment the whistle blows, the rain comes back, steadily increasing in force.  The first 25 miles was fairly slow, cold, and wet.  But I did get to chat with the only other recumbent on the 100 mile route, a guy named Lev, who lives in Bedford and worked at the bike's inc there.  And, much like our dear Opus, doesn't own a car.  He was riding a rans rocket with tweener bars he had just installed that week.  I invited him on here and to the picnic tomorrow - hope he shows.

The course was very nice, except for a couple questionable roads, but thankfully these were also fairly short roads.  The ride had the best signage I've seen in a long time - arrows every mile painted on the road, along with signs as well.  painted arrows at almost all intersections to make sure you don't take a wrong turn.  Rest stops were small.  Plenty of porta johns, but only water, gatorade, and fruit - no other goodies.  Not that I used them.  I only stopped twice to use the bathroom - no waiting in line!

Some great scenery!  We rode through Justin and Flower Mound, through the Lantana neighborhoods and golf course, and down some country roads I didn't think existed in Texas.  Tall tress forming a complete canopy over one road.  It was very pretty.

Great course for bents too.  There were long grades at times, but no real hills to speak of.  I don't think I got lower than the 26 tooth in the middle ring.  Finished the 100 miles in 5:45, including all stops, for an 18mph average.

I only saw one other recumbent - a guy on a wizwheels who was doing the 30 or 50 mile ride.  I didn't get to chat long since our paths diverged, but pointed him in our direction.

Consumed 5 servings of gel, 8 sportlegs, 12 endurlyte caps, and I brought about 70 ounces of water that I had spiked with 10g glutamine, 10g BCAA, 3 scoops cytomax, 1 scoop accelerade, and around 10g of whey powder.  This mix worked the best to date of any I have tried.  The century I did last week I had stomach craps at mile 90 from too much sugar.  Cytomax is almost all maltodextrin, so I think it balanced out the accellerade nicely.  At mile 70 I also had a package of cliff shot bloks, just to get a little something solid.  Seems to have worked - I had no upset at all this time.

At the finish line, I watched some cars racing around the track making a god-awful racket, and was handed a beer by one of the rotary club members.  Even though it was a Bud Light, it tasted mighty fine.  I consumed it in about 10 seconds, and was thoroughly drunk in another 30.  Apparently biking 100 miles makes me a cheap date  Grin

I'll definately be back for this next year.

I'm in it to Schwinn it.
Email   IP Logged
levendis

rbent member

Re: Cross Timbers Century.
Reply #1 - May 21st, 2007, 2:15pm

This was my first supported ride/tour so previous experience was non-existant except that I worked SAG for a couple of rides the two weekends before. I read reviews of the ride at  
http://www.bicycle-stuff.com/reviews/05_may/flowermound.htm and found most of the complaints were fixed, like the route being a full 100 miles, good road markings and excellent Sheriff department help at certain crossings such as the Eastbound crossing of Hwy 377. However, the reviews mentioned the staff at the rest stops and the finish were eager to finish early and actually started closing things down BEFORE the last rider (me) made it. I thought the tail vehicle was following a little too closely as well, making me feel pressured. The staff repeatedly made sure I knew there was NO support after 2pm. Pressure, pressure, pressure! I read that finishers arriving near 2pm had no food or drink available. I cut off the tour at Hwy 156 and headed straight back to the Speedway for a total of 81 miles but I got a few beers, a fine brisket sandwich and a sausage on a stick. The photographer had already packed up so I didn't get the photo on the checkerboard, darnit! I was looking forward to that. One guy even came over and packed up the table several riders and myself were seated around before we finished our beer and food. I guess they have to pay extra for the TMS if they stay long... next time I'll ride the 50 miler so there's no pressure, but make it a century by riding from home and back instead.

I hit my top speed of 41 mph on Hilltop Rd just before reaching Country Club Rd, on a sweeping left/right downhill turn. I averaged 15.8 and beat my personal best time and distance for a single day's riding.

All in all a great tour. I'm very thankful I ran into Greg and this board. I was beginning to think I would forever be a loner on my "wheel chair" bike.

lev

2000 RANS Rocket
Email   IP Logged
aikigreg

recumbent ninja

Re: Cross Timbers Century.
Reply #2 - May 21st, 2007, 3:08pm

They cut it off at 2pm?  That's cutting it pretty tight for a century - tighter than most people could have ridden it.   I would certainly talk with the president of the rotary club about that!  I never saw any of the photography or any of that stuff, or I would have hung around more.  Of course, I was a little drunk and probably walked right by it.

I'm in it to Schwinn it.
Email   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print