Welcome, Guest. Please Login.
rbent - Recumbent Bike Enthusiasts of North Texas
May 2nd, 2024, 1:33pm
News: Want to join the rbent Forum? See this thread.
Home Help Search Login

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
MS150, May 5 and 6 (Read 1170 times)
robert.j

rbent member

MS150, May 5 and 6
May 6th, 2007, 8:51pm

The MS150 was this weekend, from Frisco to Texas Motor Speedway on Saturday, and then from TMS to downtown Fort Worth Sunday.  Started out a little after 7:00 AM with a large group of riders from the Feisty Devils team, and once the crowd thinned out a little enjoyed some highest gear 30+ mph cruising for a while, assisted by a strong tailwind.  Turning west the wind was less favorable, but still were keeping up a 18-20 mph pace.  I decided to skip the first rest stop as we had gotten there so quickly without much effort.  Right after passing the rest stop I discovered my water bottle had deserted me somewhere in the previous several miles Sad  That was a bad sign for things to come.  Some light rain/mist started around then and remained for the rest of the day.  Slowed things down a little but still made record time to lunch.  The only problem was lacking a water bottle to keep hydrated, so I tried the best I could to drink a lot at subsequent rest stops.  Unfortunately, the cups they provided were tiny, like Dixie cups you'd use in the bathroom.  I'd fill up three, gulp it down while getting back in line for refills.  I didn't want to keep that up for too long so probably got back on the bike before I'd really had enough fluids.  Lunch was a good break, complete with Subway sandwiches, chips, cookies, etc. and a chance to get under a tent and out of the rain for a while.  I guzzled several bottles of water and headed back out, turning south into the wind and rain with a couple of friends on uprights in tow.  Still making decent time considering the conditions, maybe 13-15 mph, until, just minding my own business, not turning, accelerating or doing anything else unusual on the bike, the front wheel lost traction and the bike slid out from under me.  As is typical and fortunately so for recumbents, it dumped me out on my butt, and given the slick streets didn't really suffer any physical damage worth mentioning.  My bike was a different matter, however.  My brand new, $90 Dura Ace bar end shifter for the front derailleur snapped off (is this a good place to say how much I hate aluminum?) Angry  I had lots of good help show up immediately, so we messed with the derailleur stops and at least got the middle ring operable, which was all I needed anyway headed into the wind and with no steep hills ahead.  So saddled back up and headed on, somewhat relieved my first fall on my bent wasn't worse.  Just before the last rest stop, about 10 miles from the finish, I began to feel the effects of not enough hydration.  Just the beginnings of cramps in my left inner thigh.  I slowed way down and managed to get to the finish, 77.4 miles total, without cramping up, but had to keep down to 12-13 mph.  After crossing under the finish banner, I stopped the bike, lifted my right leg over the frame to get off, and got a massive cramp in my right inner thigh.  Ouch!!!  My wife arrived shortly after and I could hardly get the bike put in the van without setting off cramps in my thighs, hamstrings, calves and feet.  It was like that the next couple of hours, with the calf tightening up into the night.  I did get my old shifter put on when I got back home so it was ready to go the next day, but decided the next morning my muscles weren't in any shape to tackle an 83 mile ride.  
Besides the damage to my bike, my cell phone and digital camera refused to work when I got home.  I'm confident they weren't damaged in the crash, so it must have been moisture from all the rain.  Hopefully they'll both dry out and start working.  If not, this will be the THIRD time I've had to repair my digital camera, at a cost of $130 each time!
I suppose it's hard to categorize this ride as a "success," but there were lots of fun parts and we did raise a ton of money for MS, which of course is the real goal.  The first day course is a terrific course for bents as there are not any steep hills, just rolling.  I passed lots and lots of uprights even going up hills, and I've never thought of myself as a particularly good climber.  I know all I ever see is Charlie's backside when we're out climbing hills!
Only saw two other bents, a Rans SWB and LWB at lunch.  Didn't see the drivers.  My wife claims she saw what sounds like a Low Racer come in after I did.  Maybe there will be a better representation next  year!

Robert Johnson
Bacchetta Corsa
Ventana Mtn Bike
Barcroft Columbia Tandem
Sun EZ1
1970ish French Roold
Email   IP Logged
Bud_Bent

Re: MS150, May 5 and 6
Reply #1 - May 6th, 2007, 9:41pm

Sounds like another of those rides that turns into a survival story. Glad you weren't seriously hurt.

« Last Edit: May 6th, 2007, 9:42pm by Bud_Bent »  

Bud
* 2009 RANS F-5 Pro
* 2009 RANS XStream
* 2004 RANS Screamer
My Blog - uneasy-rider.com
WWW   IP Logged
aikigreg

recumbent ninja

Reply #2 - May 7th, 2007, 8:24am

Indeed.  My wife's friend went down in the first half mile of this road - cracked helmet, messed up face, loosened ribs, and the like.  At least bents help you avoid a lot of that!

Glad you got away relatively unscathed.

I'm in it to Schwinn it.
Email   IP Logged
FooRider

baccheater   '06
Corsa

Reply #3 - May 22nd, 2007, 8:13pm

If anyone's interested in another (belated) ride report on the MS 150, you can find libretto, with pictures, on the Wheeler Dealers team blog.  I'm not trying to divert traffic away from the forum; it's just that... well, it's already there.

As far as recumbent representation, I can only guess that Robert must've been too far to the front.  I saw half a dozen or so at various points—starting, rest stops, finishing—but the only other dual-650 high racer I saw was the Aero hanging off the back of a bike rack at the lunch stop on Day 1.  And that dude on the tadpole trike with the yellow wheel covers was everywhere!

« Last Edit: May 22nd, 2007, 8:20pm by FooRider »  

Lie Back. Ride hard. Grin like a monkey.
WWW   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print