Welcome, Guest. Please Login.
rbent - Recumbent Bike Enthusiasts of North Texas
May 13th, 2024, 10:35pm
News: Want to join the rbent Forum? See this thread.
Home Help Search Login

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Ride Reports (Read 2301 times)
Bud_Bent

Ride Reports
Mar 6th, 2007, 7:10pm

I'm the world's worst about coming home from a ride, and just writing five words in a bikejournal.com log entry, and nothing else. But, I always enjoy reading stories and reports about rides, so let's add this section just for that.

Between all these windy days and road construction that has our Lake Ridge shortcut blocked, Rose and I have been mostly just riding the Joe Pool dam, but Monday evening was just so nice out, we couldn't resist climbing on the tandem, and riding from our driveway, down SH360, and through area neighborhoods to the south end of Joe Pool lake. We rode 26.8 miles (we never have quite gotten our 25 mile route down, since the Boryn Street blockage) at a 15.4 mph average, which is a very good pace for us on that beast, and has a lot to do with the lack of wind. As always, we got the "Cool bike!" remarks from kids, and smiles from lots of other people.

I didn't even get mad at a single driver; it must be spring fever.

Bud
* 2009 RANS F-5 Pro
* 2009 RANS XStream
* 2004 RANS Screamer
My Blog - uneasy-rider.com
WWW   IP Logged
FlyingLaZBoy

'16 ICE SprintX fs,
'16 Rocket, '12 KHS
Mocha

Re: Ride Reports
Reply #1 - Mar 7th, 2007, 2:36pm

After a couple years of it, I'm very used to the "cool bike" comments and other bemused/wondering reactions from people who see someone on a recumbent bike...  but last Sunday on the GDB ride, our group of ~30 was riding through downtown Dallas around 11AM, and were stopped at a traffic light.  As usual, I was the only 'bent in the crowd...  A many-membered family was crossing the intersection beside us, and looking at us.  Suddenly they spotted me, and a couple started shouting "I want your bike!  I want your bike!"

A couple others in our group were saying, "This bike?" -- "Naw, not YOUR bike, THAT bike!!"

I looked over, smiled, and said, "You mean MY bike???"

"YEAH, dude -- You've got it goin' ON!!!!!!!!  A LOWRIDER!!!"

This brought a HUGE eruption of laughter from my cycling buddies, and the comments flowed for the next couple of miles....   Grin Grin

"A hundred miles on a bike? How many
days does that take you?"

Email FlyingLaZBoy   IP Logged
aikigreg

recumbent ninja

Reply #2 - Mar 7th, 2007, 7:20pm

*laugh*

I actually got in an EVENING ride tonight!  Got started about 5:20 and headed out from the house to the start of the trinity trail at each street.  Got waylaid by a guy new to the area and wanting to know the layout of the trinity so he could bike it.  Hoofed it like mad to the tandy center.   18mph average from the house with all the stops and traffic and hills to the center - not bad considering I've been slow as a turtle all winter and I have the pannier and rack on the bike.  Did one interval up that humongous hill and then back home.  Arrived at exactly 7pm in essentially complete darkness, average was 15.5mph for 25 miles exactly.  It felt so great to get out and ride with just shorts and jersey.  loved it!

I'm in it to Schwinn it.
Email   IP Logged
Bud_Bent

Reply #3 - Mar 7th, 2007, 7:46pm

Quote from aikigreg on Mar 7th, 2007, 7:20pm:
*laugh*

I actually got in an EVENING ride tonight! Got started about 5:20 and headed out from the house to the start of the trinity trail at each street. Got waylaid by a guy new to the area and wanting to know the layout of the trinity so he could bike it. Hoofed it like mad to the tandy center. 18mph average from the house with all the stops and traffic and hills to the center - not bad considering I've been slow as a turtle all winter and I have the pannier and rack on the bike. Did one interval up that humongous hill and then back home. Arrived at exactly 7pm in essentially complete darkness, average was 15.5mph for 25 miles exactly. It felt so great to get out and ride with just shorts and jersey. loved it!

Yes, just wearing jersey and shorts on the Joe Pool dam tonight felt great, too. I didn't realize it, but Rose had never really drafted before, at least not intentionally. She fell in behind Mark and I, and was amazed that she could hold 17 and 18 mph for such a long time. This week is really looking like spring has sprung.

Bud
* 2009 RANS F-5 Pro
* 2009 RANS XStream
* 2004 RANS Screamer
My Blog - uneasy-rider.com
WWW   IP Logged
Rose Pedals

rbent member

Reply #4 - Mar 7th, 2007, 10:10pm

Quote from Bud_Bent on Mar 7th, 2007, 7:46pm:
Quote from aikigreg on Mar 7th, 2007, 7:20pm:
*laugh*

I actually got in an EVENING ride tonight! Got started about 5:20 and headed out from the house to the start of the trinity trail at each street. Got waylaid by a guy new to the area and wanting to know the layout of the trinity so he could bike it. Hoofed it like mad to the tandy center. 18mph average from the house with all the stops and traffic and hills to the center - not bad considering I've been slow as a turtle all winter and I have the pannier and rack on the bike. Did one interval up that humongous hill and then back home. Arrived at exactly 7pm in essentially complete darkness, average was 15.5mph for 25 miles exactly. It felt so great to get out and ride with just shorts and jersey. loved it!

Yes, just wearing jersey and shorts on the Joe Pool dam tonight felt great, too. I didn't realize it, but Rose had never really drafted before, at least not intentionally. She fell in behind Mark and I, and was amazed that she could hold 17 and 18 mph for such a long time. This week is really looking like spring has sprung.

My first day of drafting today...I must admit I really can get used to that!!  Makes me wonder why this last couple of years why I didnt draft of Bud.  I was able to ride a faster pace, and not tire as easliy.  I was amazed at how smooth i could ride their pace..which was mostly at 17p. hr.  And "finally", I can say prouldy that i passed a "road bike"!  Today...was an awesome day!  It sure was nice to pass someone for a change.  Usually...its everyone passing by me..and leaving me behind,."bout time someone eats my dust!"  

Rose

Rose

I'm not short; I'm aerodynamic!
  IP Logged
Rose Pedals

rbent member

Reply #5 - Mar 7th, 2007, 10:19pm

Quote from FlyingLaZBoy on Mar 7th, 2007, 2:36pm:
After a couple years of it, I'm very used to the "cool bike" comments and other bemused/wondering reactions from people who see someone on a recumbent bike... but last Sunday on the GDB ride, our group of ~30 was riding through downtown Dallas around 11AM, and were stopped at a traffic light. As usual, I was the only 'bent in the crowd... A many-membered family was crossing the intersection beside us, and looking at us. Suddenly they spotted me, and a couple started shouting "I want your bike! I want your bike!"

A couple others in our group were saying, "This bike?" -- "Naw, not YOUR bike, THAT bike!!"

I looked over, smiled, and said, "You mean MY bike???"

"YEAH, dude -- You've got it goin' ON!!!!!!!! A LOWRIDER!!!"

This brought a HUGE eruption of laughter from my cycling buddies, and the comments flowed for the next couple of miles.... Grin Grin

Bud and I get so many comments when we ride our Tandem..One of the cute one's we been called...is.."Limo"!!  I have always told Bud..that if that was not us on the Tandem Bike...I would be jealous of the people on that bike!  People are always slowing down on their driving...just to look at us. And im thinking ...( Yeah we Bad!!)  And yes...on this Bike...its the only one that I can really keep up with Bud..and not get left behind!  I really enjoy the Tandem...although at times I do threaten Bud...and say..."DONT MAKE ME PULL OVER'!!  I must admit...at times...I forget im the Stoker!!

« Last Edit: Mar 11th, 2007, 2:13pm by Bud_Bent »  

Rose

I'm not short; I'm aerodynamic!
  IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print