Welcome, Guest. Please Login.
rbent - Recumbent Bike Enthusiasts of North Texas
Apr 26th, 2024, 2:58am
News: Want to join the rbent Forum? See this thread.
Home Help Search Login

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
2015 HHH (Read 5844 times)
Bud_Bent

2015 HHH
Aug 30th, 2015, 11:17am

I had a good ride at HHH. My timing chip time was 5:14. I posted more on my blog.

By yesterday afternoon, Cadence Sports had already posted results. You can find them here. Here's mine.

Bud
* 2009 RANS F-5 Pro
* 2009 RANS XStream
* 2004 RANS Screamer
My Blog - uneasy-rider.com
WWW   IP Logged
Action Lad
Five Star Member

rbent member

Re: 2015 HHH
Reply #1 - Aug 30th, 2015, 11:29am

Phenominal job!
Congratulations.   Smiley

"You can't see paradise if you don't pedal!"
T.J. Fowler -- Chicken Run
  IP Logged
Ldoc1234

rbent member

Reply #2 - Aug 30th, 2015, 7:13pm

I finished my first 100 mile century on my trike! Way, way slower than the time above due to extensive cramping during the last 40 miles but at least finished. Had not done more than 55 miles at a session in the last 3 months so was happy to finish

Email   IP Logged
diannalightning
Five Star Member

rbent member

Reply #3 - Aug 30th, 2015, 9:28pm

I only did the 50 mile but really enjoyed the cooler temps this year.  It was great seeing everyone at the start and Ldoc1234 I know I couldn't do 100 miles on my trike so "good on-ya".

IP Logged
reever

rbent member

Reply #4 - Aug 30th, 2015, 9:31pm

I'm going to have to put an asterisk by my HHH time due to a dust-up with this guy in a Lincoln SUV who was running interference for the cat 1 riders. They passed me and he pulled up to me and told me I couldn't draft off of them. I shot him the bird and continued on. We went up a slight incline and I dropped off, but then came a downhill and I came back on them with a vengeance. I was going to pass them on the shoulder, but this guy put on his turn signal and started pulling over to block me!!!! So I went to his left....the guy puts on his left signal and moves me over into oncoming traffic!!!!! I had a few choice words with the driver and as I'm passing the group in the oncoming traffic lane a motorcycle guy comes up and tells me I can't interact with them. I yelled to him that I was PASSING THEM, and asked if there were a law against passing cat 1 riders. He told me if I interacted with them I would be arrested. This all happened right when I was supposed to turn right on Cottonwood, I think. Anyway, I looked at my route and compared it to the route I was supposed to take and then measured the two on Google Earth and I was short 1.02 miles. I got on the right route as soon as I could. What's a guy to do when he's up against a four ton vehicle, the cat 1 organization and their protectors, and the force of the law??? But, this is a PR for me.

« Last Edit: Aug 31st, 2015, 7:17am by reever »  

Adults should have fun so kids will want to grow up!

For every mile of road there's two miles of ditch.

I'd rather be sorry for something I did than for something I didn't do.
Email   IP Logged
Patti
Five Star Member

rbent member

Reply #5 - Aug 31st, 2015, 12:23am

I had a fun time again this year. I did the metric century (my first) on my trike. I set no speed record but I'm pretty happy.

IP Logged
reever

rbent member

Reply #6 - Aug 31st, 2015, 7:58pm

I just read Bud's blog entry on the HHH. Wow, Bud, you really took everything in! My recollections of the ride were.....a few cool spots early...got a few good drafts.....stopped once at 53 miles to fill bottles....rode with a recumbent guy from Lafayette, LA who was a RAAM qualifier....cat 1 idiots.....finish.  I did think my time was a little low as well, Bud. But I was flying blind, as I was relying on my phone's mapmyride app to tell me my distance, average speed, and time. I guess somewhere in the 80's or 90's my music started messing up--playing ten seconds of one song then switching to the next, then switching back to the previous one. And then it just froze up. I couldn't even unlock the stupid thing. I thought I'd be under five hours, but not 19 minutes under. That was a big surprise. It was a 25 minute improvement for me--due to a large part to my new Encore. Like I already said, my time needs to have anywhere from three to five minutes added on to it due to the cat 1 guys making me miss that turn near the end.

« Last Edit: Aug 31st, 2015, 8:00pm by reever »  

Email   IP Logged
Bud_Bent

Reply #7 - Aug 31st, 2015, 10:13pm

Quote from reever on Aug 31st, 2015, 7:58pm:
I did think my time was a little low as well, Bud.

Yes, there seems to be a bug in the timing software. When they let the tandems and recumbents leave before 7:00 am, the timing doesn't seem to start until 7:00 am, so our time ends up lower than it should be. The last time they had to fight off recumbents to keep them away from the racers, they started us later the next year, so that may not be a problem next year.

It sounds like they also need to add more timing checkpoints, if you were still able to get an official time after shortcutting the course. It sounds like you might have still made it under 5 hours, even without the free time and shortcut. Congrats on a very strong ride. If they still start us as early next year, perhaps you should delay going under the arch and starting your time for a few minutes, to make sure you don't catch the racers. They've always been very serious about keeping everyone away from them. Ask either John Schlitter or Kent Polk about that.

Quote from Monkeywrangler22 on Aug 30th, 2015, 6:44am:
PR on HHH for me!  100.66mi in 5hr 56min.

Congrats, Vicky! HHH organizers consider anyone who finishes under six hours to be in the Screamer division, so that's an accomplishment. Truly fast racer types can finish a lot faster than that, but for riders like you and I, that will always be a great benchmark to shoot for, I think.  

« Last Edit: Aug 31st, 2015, 10:21pm by Bud_Bent »  

Bud
* 2009 RANS F-5 Pro
* 2009 RANS XStream
* 2004 RANS Screamer
WWW   IP Logged
jdorlon

rbent member

Reply #8 - Sep 1st, 2015, 2:46pm

PR for me too!   4:49 (moving) and 15 minutes stopped over 100 miles, with an average speed 20.8 according to my Garmin.

I caught some good drafts, but spent some time riding alone too.  I started with the recumbents, and drafted off some tandems for the first 10 miles or so.  Then they slowed down so I passed and went on my own.   I caught up with Dan Hansen in his velomobile around mile 25 or so and we passed each other and chatted a few times.   Then when the first group of DFs caught me (around mile 31), I hung on with them for about 9 miles, going 25-30 mph.   That was great fun!  But then I started getting cramp twinges in my right calf and had to back off.   So I took a drink of Pickle Juice (great stuff!), pedaled a little slower for the next 10 minutes, and then started drafting off the next group that caught up to me, which was not quite as fast but easier to ride with.   I broke off with them for a pee break, and after that just rode with smaller groups when I could.   

I had a little bit of an experience with the racers, nothing like Reever's.  Near the finish, a car passed me and mentioned that racers were coming.   "So?" I thought.   I was stopping anyway at a rest stop.    I left the rest stop right as they passed and I did notice a lot of cars around them.   Too many, I thought - why aren't they passing?  Then the turn came where they went left (or straight) and the 100 milers went right, and that was the end of that.  

« Last Edit: Sep 2nd, 2015, 7:33am by jdorlon »  

John D.
Cruzbike Vendetta 2.0
Cruzbike Silvio 1.5
  IP Logged
Monkeywrangler22
Five Star Member

rbent member

Reply #9 - Sep 1st, 2015, 5:37pm

Quote from reever on Aug 30th, 2015, 9:31pm:
I'm going to have to put an asterisk by my HHH time due to a dust-up with this guy in a Lincoln SUV who was running interference for the cat 1 riders. They passed me and he pulled up to me and told me I couldn't draft off of them. I shot him the bird and continued on. We went up a slight incline and I dropped off, but then came a downhill and I came back on them with a vengeance. I was going to pass them on the shoulder, but this guy put on his turn signal and started pulling over to block me!!!! So I went to his left....the guy puts on his left signal and moves me over into oncoming traffic!!!!! I had a few choice words with the driver and as I'm passing the group in the oncoming traffic lane a motorcycle guy comes up and tells me I can't interact with them. I yelled to him that I was PASSING THEM, and asked if there were a law against passing cat 1 riders. He told me if I interacted with them I would be arrested. This all happened right when I was supposed to turn right on Cottonwood, I think. Anyway, I looked at my route and compared it to the route I was supposed to take and then measured the two on Google Earth and I was short 1.02 miles. I got on the right route as soon as I could. What's a guy to do when he's up against a four ton vehicle, the cat 1 organization and their protectors, and the force of the law??? But, this is a PR for me.

Reever, I'd file a complaint with the HHH organization and the CAT1 racing group.  I'd post your write up all over social media too, and demand an apology for the aggressive driver and moto unit.  Their behavior is unacceptable.

The Monkeywrangler's blog
Schlitter Encore
Fisher HKEK - Spec. Roubaix
Seavo - Serenity
Email   IP Logged
MrWizard
Five Star Member

bonus mile sponge

Reply #10 - Sep 1st, 2015, 5:40pm

Agreed ..  I'd like to know what you'd be "arrested" for .. that should be priceless .  Any chance you got the plate #?

Quote from Monkeywrangler22 on Sep 1st, 2015, 5:37pm:
Reever, I'd file a complaint with the HHH organization and the CAT1 racing group.  I'd post your write up all over social media too, and demand an apology for the aggressive driver and moto unit.  Their behavior is unacceptable.

« Last Edit: Sep 1st, 2015, 5:41pm by MrWizard »  
Email   IP Logged
Monkeywrangler22
Five Star Member

rbent member

Reply #11 - Sep 3rd, 2015, 5:07am

Hey Reever, this the the basic info you might need to register your concerns for rider safety.  It comes from the very end of my survey they emailed me.

Thank you for completing our survey! Your opinion and thoughts are very important to us. If you have further concerns, please do not hesitate to email us at info@wichitafalls.org

That's a city email address it appears, rather than hh100.org but you might start there...survey did state that HH100 is on facebook and twitter...

Here's contact info for the HH100 director guy.  CONTACT US
Ben J. Filer 'Chip'  
Executive Director  
P.O. Box 2096
Wichita Falls, TX, 76307  
Email: execdir@hh100.org
Phone: (940) 322-3223

« Last Edit: Sep 3rd, 2015, 5:25am by Monkeywrangler22 »  

The Monkeywrangler's blog
Schlitter Encore
Fisher HKEK - Spec. Roubaix
Seavo - Serenity
Email   IP Logged
reever

rbent member

Reply #12 - Sep 8th, 2015, 5:25pm

Hey, thank you all for your response to my HHH ride report. I was out of pocket for a week up in Ohio and had no tv or computer...just doing sheet rocking and painting for my daughter. I've decided I will write Chip Flier a note once I have calmed  down for a bit. He works so hard to put on that whole thing, and does such an excellent job! I will let him bask in the glow of a successful  event before I poop on it.

Email   IP Logged
aikigreg

recumbent ninja

Reply #13 - Sep 8th, 2015, 7:42pm

You just gotta pick your battles, dude.

I'm in it to Schwinn it.
Email   IP Logged
Bud_Bent

Reply #14 - Sep 8th, 2015, 9:34pm

Quote from aikigreg on Sep 8th, 2015, 7:42pm:
You just gotta pick your battles, dude.

Yep, as I pointed out before, the long list of recumbent riders who've complained about it includes John Schlitter and Kent Polk. The only thing that came out of any complaints was starting the recumbents and everyone else later. They aren't going to let anyone closer to the racers, no matter what anyone in this forum may tell them.

Bud
* 2009 RANS F-5 Pro
* 2009 RANS XStream
* 2004 RANS Screamer
WWW   IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print