Welcome, Guest. Please Login.
rbent - Recumbent Bike Enthusiasts of North Texas
May 5th, 2024, 2:27pm
News: Want to join the rbent Forum? See this thread.
Home Help Search Login

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Converting 500w Tongsheng E-Drive from 48v to 52v (Read 591 times)
jayg
Five Star Member

rbent member

Converting 500w Tongsheng E-Drive from 48v to 52v
Apr 9th, 2022, 10:14pm

The custom battery support on my Catrike Speed E-trike, and over a year of rough trail pavement, ruined the trike's 48-volt, 17.5 amp-hour battery's mount-to-battery electrical interface. I happened to have a spare 52v, 20ah battery, so decided to install it on the trike. The existing 48v controller in the trike's drive housing was rated for a maximum voltage of 56v, so I had to order an $85 (including shipping) 52v controller rated for 60v max (Max battery voltage at full charge is 59v). Took me 8 to 10 hours to accomplish the task. Had to lower the battery support, because the 52v battery Hailong Shark battery is over an inch taller than the 48v Hailong battery. That resulted in the chain rubbing on the support, so had to do some grinding on the aluminum support plate. Removed the drive from the trike to make changing out the controller easier. While I had the drive disassembled, lubed the drive gears on the right side of the drive with black moly (molybdenum disulfide w/graphite) grease recommended by drive vendor ECO Cycles.  

New controller prior to installation. Inserting the 3 large cables w/connectors in the small hole at the back of the motor/controller enclosure was a bear.                                                                                                                                

Installed controller                                                                                                                                              Installed battery. Very large and heavy (About 11 lb). I have it securely strapped down to hopefully lessen vibration                                                                                                                                                                            
                                                                                                                                                                         damage.

Installed a voltmeter to monitor battery voltage.

« Last Edit: Apr 13th, 2022, 12:09pm by jayg »  
Email   IP Logged
jrob_bent
Five Star Member

rbent member

Re: Converting 500w Tongsheng E-Drive from 48v to
Reply #1 - Apr 11th, 2022, 7:00pm

I think you will love the 52v Jay, I know I do. I also love the 860C color monitor. Of course my grandsons have claimed the trike with the TSDZ2! Smiley

I get about 15 miles per honey bun!
Email   IP Logged
jayg
Five Star Member

rbent member

Reply #2 - Apr 12th, 2022, 6:51pm

Quote from jrob_bent on Apr 11th, 2022, 7:00pm:
I think you will love the 52v Jay, I know I do. I also love the 860C color monitor. Of course my grandsons have claimed the trike with the TSDZ2! Smiley

Yeah, I'm liking it. Drive maintains high performance much longer than with a 48v battery.

Email   IP Logged
jrob_bent
Five Star Member

rbent member

Reply #3 - Apr 12th, 2022, 8:35pm

Jay, are you sticking with the 5 levels or downloading the free wear? I think I am sticking tothe factory 5 levels. Some guy on endless-sphere set his to level 20 I think and hits 45-50 mph!

Email   IP Logged
jayg
Five Star Member

rbent member

Reply #4 - Apr 13th, 2022, 11:57am

Quote from jrob_bent on Apr 12th, 2022, 8:35pm:
Jay, are you sticking with the 5 levels or downloading the free wear? I think I am sticking tothe factory 5 levels. Some guy on endless-sphere set his to level 20 I think and hits 45-50 mph!

Jerry, I have the VLCD-5 display on my trike, so I have just 4 power levels. I'm staying away from ECO Cycles' Open Source Firmware (OSF) version of the Tongsheng drive (20 power levels), because they don't furnish a warranty with it.

ECO's OSF 750w, 52v drive probably puts out close to 1,000w at max battery charge voltage of 59v. A standard Tongsheng drive cuts assist at a 90 cadence. The OSF drive cuts assist at a 120 cadence. Assuming a trike with a 700c x 32 mm rear wheel and tire and a 58T chainring and 11T cassette gear, a speed of 50 mph is theoretically possible at a 120 cadence. Air resistance would be really high at 50 mph on an unfaired trike. Very doubtful an average rider could hit 50 mph. More likely to be achievable with an E-velomobile.  

« Last Edit: Apr 13th, 2022, 7:46pm by jayg »  
Email   IP Logged
jrob_bent
Five Star Member

rbent member

Reply #5 - Apr 13th, 2022, 8:44pm

I can't remember if the guy had two batteries in series or something else. 29 mph with a 42t is good enough for me. Probably could reach 35 or so if I put the 53t back on it. Doesn't really matter now that my grandsons have taking over the trike! My oldest grandson wants me to build a coroplast fairing around it and he has claimed my NoCom too! Grin He needs to grow another foot or so to be able to ride the NoCom.  

I rode the trike a couple of weeks ago set up for my grandson and could hold 28 mph on it but my knees killed me for several days because the boom is all the way in, about a foot shorter than for me. He likes to race me up hill with him on trike in setting 5 and me in the WAW. He wins 95% of the time!  

Quote from jayg on Apr 13th, 2022, 11:57am:
Quote from jrob_bent on Apr 12th, 2022, 8:35pm:

Jerry, I have the VLCD-5 display on my trike, so I have just 4 power levels. I'm staying away from ECO Cycles' Open Source Firmware (OSF) version of the Tongsheng drive (20 power levels), because they don't furnish a warranty with it.

ECO's OSF 750w, 52v drive probably puts out close to 1,000w at max battery charge voltage of 59v. A standard Tongsheng drive cuts assist at a 90 cadence. The OSF drive cuts assist at a 120 cadence. Assuming a trike with a 700c x 32 mm rear wheel and tire and a 58T chainring and 11T cassette gear, a speed of 50 mph is theoretically possible at a 120 cadence. Air resistance would be really high at 50 mph on an unfaired trike. Very doubtful an average rider could hit 50 mph. More likely to be achievable with an E-velomobile.

Email   IP Logged
square_corners
Five Star Member

rbent member

Reply #6 - May 17th, 2022, 10:30pm

17-May-22      TUE      Clown Ride

Didn't feel fast but it was, for a recumbent trike ride ON level 1 all the way. I would have estimated a full mph slower. Wind lighter than what it has been lately, and the high clouds made it feel perfect.
bike: CATRIKE 700; start time: 8:52; end: 11:55; avg:16.3; max: 25.1; climb: 840; miles: 40.27; mtd miles:515.81; ytd miles:3875.94
HIGH CLOUDS; wind: SE 8-17; start temp: 76; min: 73; avg: 82; max: 88; end: 88

Email   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print