Welcome, Guest. Please Login.
rbent - Recumbent Bike Enthusiasts of North Texas
May 5th, 2024, 2:13pm
News: Want to join the rbent Forum? See this thread.
Home Help Search Login

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Bar end shifter for Bacchetta CA 3.0 (Read 1019 times)
slo-rider

rbent member

Bar end shifter for Bacchetta CA 3.0
Jan 22nd, 2021, 11:36am

I have purchased a Bacchetta Carbon Aero 3.0 that came with grip shifters.  Turning the tweener handlebars involves the handlebar ends hitting my legs.  I would really like bar end shifters on the 2x11 drivetrain.  Is it possible to switch the grip shifters to bar end shifters?  How much effort is involved to make the switch?  Any other recommendations?

Slo-rider
Bacchetta Aero 3.0
HP Velotechnik Street Machine
Sold:
Rans F5
HP Velotechnik Grasshopper
  IP Logged
jayg
Five Star Member

rbent member

Re: Bar end shifter for Bacchetta CA 3.0
Reply #1 - Jan 22nd, 2021, 3:05pm

Quote from slo-rider on Jan 22nd, 2021, 11:36am:
I have purchased a Bacchetta Carbon Aero 3.0 that came with grip shifters.  Turning the tweener handlebars involves the handlebar ends hitting my legs.  I would really like bar end shifters on the 2x11 drivetrain.  Is it possible to switch the grip shifters to bar end shifters?  How much effort is involved to make the switch?  Any other recommendations?

There wouldn't be a problem removing the grip shifters. The cable housings may be too short to install bar ends after removal of the grip shifters. It would be no problem to extend the housings with new short pieces of housing, using these: https://www.ebay.com/itm/New-Jagwire-4mm-Double-Ended-Connecting-Junction-Ferrule-Bag-of-10/283204204865?epid=1100104289&hash=item41f0493941:gTongue1kAAOSw2BFdUd~u. You would need to install new cables.

Here's a good video that shows how to install bar end shifters: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6vbZhVI6_bI. Shimano and Microshift bar ends are not compatible with your bike's SRAM GX rear derailleur, so you will need to install SRAM TT 900 bar ends. The GX derailleur doesn't have a cable adjusting feature, so you will need to install an in-line adjuster (https://www.ebay.com/itm/Jagwire-Mini-Black-Inline-Adjusters-for-Shifter-Cables- 1-Pair-New/113840128630?hash=item1a81668276:g:-q4AAOSwOzJdQ-k-). Note that the expanding plug on the end of TT 900 bar ends is secured by turning the internal Allen head screw clockwise.

If you find bar ends don't work for you, you might want to try SRAM GX trigger shifters. I've used trigger shifters for many years on my bikes that had/have Superman bars. I installed inexpensive, wide handlebars (RANS B-41) on the bikes to keep the shifters from contacting my legs. I much preferred triggers over bar ends on my high racers and other bikes.  

« Last Edit: Jan 22nd, 2021, 3:48pm by jayg »  
Email   IP Logged
jcsadowski
Five Star Member

Clown #1

Reply #2 - Jan 30th, 2021, 1:53pm

I had treat problem on my CA-2, so I cut an inch off the end of each bar. worked great.

2009 Carbon fiber CA 2.0
2014 Schlitter Encore
Email WWW   IP Logged
slo-rider

rbent member

Reply #3 - Feb 25th, 2021, 2:40pm

Thanks for the helpful info.  The trigger shifter sounds much better for the CA 3.0 handlebars.  And less expensive too. And simple enough I could install it myself. 
The way my seat reclines, I need all the handlebar length I can get, so I probably won't trim the ends.

« Last Edit: Feb 25th, 2021, 4:25pm by slo-rider »  

Slo-rider
Bacchetta Aero 3.0
HP Velotechnik Street Machine
Sold:
Rans F5
HP Velotechnik Grasshopper
  IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print