Welcome, Guest. Please Login.
rbent - Recumbent Bike Enthusiasts of North Texas
May 6th, 2024, 10:38am
News: Want to join the rbent Forum? See this thread.
Home Help Search Login

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
We got vaccinated! (Read 4463 times)
rmillay
Five Star Member

rbent member; go
Clowns!

We got vaccinated!
Jan 15th, 2021, 8:10pm

We've been signing up for any vaccination program we can find, as I'm pretty solidly in the 1b category.  I like to blame the Republicans for everything, but Dallas is mostly Democrat, so they're going to have to take the heat for the lackluster vaccination program locally.  Last night there was a news segment about a no reservations program at Fair Park, which was to continue today. A pair of actors portraying old people declared the whole process to be quick and easy.   My lovely spouse looked at me and said "You're going to that tomorrow morning!"

By 08:00 this morning we were driving East on Scyene by Fair Park, following a line of cars in the left lane, until we got nearly by the park where a policewoman was yelling at everyone "This is not the line!"  So we sped up and found the end of the line near Second St.  We pulled behind, then inched along, past expired vehicles, and through intersections where other motorists were inserting themselves into the line while we were stopped by the red light.

By ten o'clock we got to the police controlled line, and eventually wended our way to a distant parking lot, where we were lined up row by row.  There we were left to stew.  There were no porta-johns, so customers had to hike over to the butterfly gardens to use the toilets there.  We could see cars still streaming into the lot.  A few people got tired of waiting and left.  A few cars got out of the incoming line and pulled into vacated slots.

Around 12:15, Health Volunteers started going down the lines of cars handing out signup sheets and explaining what the next step was.  Kathy was granted admission due to my presence, though she is not yet 75.  A few minutes later, as we finished filling out our forms, the lines of cars started to move.

We crept slowly back to the far end of the near parking lot and waited for a golf cart to pick us up.  Eventually a jitney dropped us off at the building next to the Centennial Hall, where we were measured and seated (sorta) in a kind of social distanced grid.  After another wait, workers worked up the lines explaining the next step, and handing out slips with second dose requirements on them.  We were to get the Moderna vaccine, with a four-week wait for the second dose.  There was no appointment, and a "fingers crossed" hope things would get more organized over the next few weeks.

Then we went to a table and got our shots.  Then we were shooed out and crossed into the Centennial building, to wait to see if we were going to keel over.  Anyone who had brought a cooler full of cold drinks could have made some money.  After 15 minutes we were released.  The jitney service was not very expeditious, and Kathy and I walked the half mile or so back to our car.  We were able to leave seven hours after we got to the line of cars to get in.  I think we will be looking for anyplace else to get our second shots.

Catrike 700
RANS Formula LE , sold
Catrike Musashi
Catrike Speed
Catrike Speed, sold back

"It [Nissan Titan] wasn't named truck of the year because it wasn't the best!" Clay Cooley in his TV a
Email   IP Logged
richardr

rbent member

Re: We got vaccinated!
Reply #1 - Jan 31st, 2021, 8:02pm

I received an e-mail from Dallas county today with a link to a web site to fill out a form and sign up for a time slot tomorrow at Fair Park.  I filled out forms for both Vicky and I and we signed up for the 1 to 1:30 time slot.  We hope this goes a little smoother than your vaccination did, Bob.

Work to eat, eat to live, live to bike, bike to work.
  IP Logged
rmillay
Five Star Member

rbent member; go
Clowns!

Reply #2 - Feb 1st, 2021, 5:54pm

Let us know.  I'd like to believe they're getting better.

Catrike 700
RANS Formula LE , sold
Catrike Musashi
Catrike Speed
Catrike Speed, sold back

"It [Nissan Titan] wasn't named truck of the year because it wasn't the best!" Clay Cooley in his TV a
Email   IP Logged
catroad254

rbent member

Reply #3 - Feb 2nd, 2021, 3:28pm

We got our shots today at Texas Motor Speedway. The site is run by the Denton County Heath Department. The entire process was very well organized and took a total of 30 minutes including the wait time to see if you have a bad reaction.

Email   IP Logged
Mac

rbent member

Reply #4 - Feb 2nd, 2021, 5:01pm

My wife and I got our first dose of vaccine today at UT Southwestern Med complex. It was will organize and only took about 1/2 hour of our time. Next shot in 21 days.
Mark McD

Email   IP Logged
Phantom Rider
Five Star Member

Reply #5 - Feb 2nd, 2021, 5:04pm

Quote from catroad254 on Feb 2nd, 2021, 3:28pm:
We got our shots today at Texas Motor Speedway. The site is run by the Denton County Heath Department. The entire process was very well organized and took a total of 30 minutes including the wait time to see if you have a bad reaction.

Were appointments required?  I’m still waiting On Tarrant county to set an appointment.

2017 Cruzbike V20
2019 ICE VTX Black
SOLD - 2011 GT Karakorem 1.0 - 2012 Lightning Phantom II - 2004 Lightning P38 2013 Rans Rifle 2014 Catrike 700 - 2014 Bacchetta CA2
Email   IP Logged
aikigreg

recumbent ninja

Reply #6 - Feb 2nd, 2021, 10:28pm

Got my second shot today!

I'm in it to Schwinn it.
Email   IP Logged
catroad254

rbent member

Reply #7 - Feb 3rd, 2021, 3:07am

Quote from Phantom Rider on Feb 2nd, 2021, 5:04pm:
Quote from catroad254 on Feb 2nd, 2021, 3:28pm:

Were appointments required?  I’m still waiting On Tarrant county to set an appointment.

Yes, appointments are required. You can sign up online.

Email   IP Logged
richardr

rbent member

Reply #8 - Feb 3rd, 2021, 7:03am

We got in line for our vaccine at Fair Park, Dallas along 2nd at about quarter to 1.  The line was about 3 blocks long but moved quickly.  As Bob said, we were told where to park, filled out some paperwork, again, although we had filled it out on line.  Golf carts took us to the vaccination site.  We waited about 15 minutes for our vaccine and the 15 minutes post vaccination, then we were taken back to the truck.  We were done by 2.  It was very busy, but well organized.  Our appointment times were never checked, but our ID cards were, I expect for age.

IP Logged
Bud_Bent

Reply #9 - Feb 6th, 2021, 4:47pm

I got my first vaccine at Fair Park Wednesday. I got up feeling bad Thursday morning. I blamed it on the vaccine and spent the day just sitting in my chair. But when chest pain showed up that evening, it wasn't too hard to figure out what was happening. I got taken to the Gun Barrel City hospital, which is only a couple of miles away, care flighted from there to UT Health Tyler, and within a half hour of my arrival there, I had a new stent. So I've now experienced lung cancer, severe COVID, and a heart attack. I had already stopped riding and gone back to my pulmonary rehab exercises as my lungs had deteriorated again. Don't think my riding mileage this year is going to be too impressive...

Bud
* 2009 RANS F-5 Pro
* 2009 RANS XStream
* 2004 RANS Screamer
My Blog - uneasy-rider.com
WWW   IP Logged
jcsadowski
Five Star Member

Clown #1

Reply #10 - Feb 8th, 2021, 4:30pm

We got out shot at Methodist Center in down town Dallas.  
They provided a shuttle but I accidentally parked in front of the place where they were giving the shots.
We walked right in, there were a form or two to fill out and we were getting out shots.
Hope it that easy when we go for the second shot.

2009 Carbon fiber CA 2.0
2014 Schlitter Encore
Email WWW   IP Logged
jrob_bent
Five Star Member

rbent member

Reply #11 - Feb 11th, 2021, 7:22pm

The wife and I both got our 2nd Moderna shot yesterday at the Hurst Conference Center ran by Tarrant County Health. We got there at our appointment slot and there was traffic backed up for blocks all 4 ways. A policeman told us to turn into the community college parking lot. I thought, oh crap, we will be here all day. To our surprise it only took about 15 minutes to go through the maze of cones and traffic. It took longer to get our paper work checked and park in the parking garage. Once inside it was very fast and very well organized. Total time including the 15 minute wait after the shot was about 1 1/2 hours. I think it was a very well run operation considering there were over 1,000 vehicles trying to get in.  

We were told that the time would have been about half if they didn't have to shut down 3 drive through places because of the cold weather including the Texas Motor Speedway. Just glad to have it behind us. The first shot didn't have much in the way of side effects. The 2nd shot I had a low fever, chills, body and joint aches which is typical side effects. Feel much better after about 30 hours.

I get about 15 miles per honey bun!
Email   IP Logged
rmillay
Five Star Member

rbent member; go
Clowns!

Reply #12 - Feb 12th, 2021, 8:12pm

Fair Park is getting behinder and behinder.  I had to get treated at my doctor's clinic today, and they had started getting vaccine.  I inquired and they said they could get me an appointment for my second shot.  As I was getting ready to leave, the appointment woman came up and asked if I wanted one today, so I said sure!  They said Kathy could get one too, so I picked her up from home and we went to their clinic on Camp Wisdom.  Took us a half hour and we were out.  They said weather was causing a lot of no-shows.

Catrike 700
RANS Formula LE , sold
Catrike Musashi
Catrike Speed
Catrike Speed, sold back

Email   IP Logged
richardr

rbent member

Reply #13 - Mar 4th, 2021, 5:34am

Yesterday we got our second shot at Fair Park.  Entrance is now at Gate 2, not Gate 5.  We stayed in our truck the entire time.  It went smoothly with the exception of about a 45 minute delay, which, if I understand correctly, was due to thawing out some more vaccine from the freezers.  So far I'm feeling fine.  Vicky is still sleeping.

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print