Welcome, Guest. Please Login.
rbent - Recumbent Bike Enthusiasts of North Texas
May 16th, 2024, 12:36pm
News: Want to join the rbent Forum? See this thread.
Home Help Search Login

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Home from the hospital (Read 909 times)
Bud_Bent

Home from the hospital
Nov 4th, 2020, 8:27am

I last rode on Friday, October 16th. I took off on the F5 with intentions of riding 30 miles, but it was really windy and I wasn't feeling that well,  so cut off the route and just rode 20 miles. That night, I got sick, and was diagnosed the next day with COVID.  

I fought it at home for a week, but ended up admitting myself to the Dallas VA Medical Center the next Friday. If you're a lung cancer survivor, living on 1.5 damaged lungs, there's a greater than zero chance that COVID will hit you hard, and it did me. Two days into my hospital stay, my oxygen levels crashed, and I spent the next week in ICU.  

I made it home yesterday. Just standing gets me out of breath, and walking across the house is almost more than I can accomplish. I weigh 170 pounds, with skin just hanging off my bones. I likely haven't been that light in 50 years. So I have a long recovery in front of me. I hope to be back on the bike in the next few days. I'll likely just settle for riding the Xstream on the trainer until I get stronger.

Bud
* 2009 RANS F-5 Pro
* 2009 RANS XStream
* 2004 RANS Screamer
My Blog - uneasy-rider.com
WWW   IP Logged
rmillay
Five Star Member

rbent member; go
Clowns!

Re: Home from the hospital
Reply #1 - Nov 4th, 2020, 9:45pm

Bud, I'm sorry!  Covid damages the lungs.  I hope your stay wasn't long enough to do too much damage, and you recover well.  Take it easy though.

Catrike 700
RANS Formula LE , sold
Catrike Musashi
Catrike Speed
Catrike Speed, sold back

"It [Nissan Titan] wasn't named truck of the year because it wasn't the best!" Clay Cooley in his TV a
Email   IP Logged
diannalightning
Five Star Member

rbent member

Reply #2 - Nov 5th, 2020, 9:05pm

Bud, take it easy in the recovery department.  I had that stuff earlier this year and it doesn't take much for my lungs still to get congested again.  Ragweed isn't helping either.  I will say that the trainer was the best thing for me at first, especially only being able to do 10 minutes.  Good thoughts and fast recovery to you.

IP Logged
jayg
Five Star Member

rbent member

Reply #3 - Nov 5th, 2020, 9:51pm

Quote from diannalightning on Nov 5th, 2020, 9:05pm:
Bud, take it easy in the recovery department.  I had that stuff earlier this year and it doesn't take much for my lungs still to get congested again.  Ragweed isn't helping either.  I will say that the trainer was the best thing for me at first, especially only being able to do 10 minutes.  Good thoughts and fast recovery to you.

Dianna, how did you contract the virus? Were you hospitalized?

Email   IP Logged
aikigreg

recumbent ninja

Reply #4 - Nov 5th, 2020, 10:22pm

Dang I'm sorry to hear you got it too, Dianna.  My friend's mother went to the ICU the same day as bud but getting steadily worse. Any more decline and she goes on the ventilator.   I'm scared to death being in a building full of children aka plague vectors who constantly pull their masks off.  

Glad you're both going to be ok.

I'm in it to Schwinn it.
Email   IP Logged
Bud_Bent

Reply #5 - Nov 7th, 2020, 10:16am

I rode five miles on the Xstream this morning at a blistering 12.58 mph pace. I was hacking and wheezing the entire way, but I did it. My oxygen saturation monitor showed 89 at the beginning of the ride, then wouldn't get a reading at all after that. Maybe I need to just use my oxygen concentrator for these first rides.

« Last Edit: Nov 7th, 2020, 10:16am by Bud_Bent »  

Bud
* 2009 RANS F-5 Pro
* 2009 RANS XStream
* 2004 RANS Screamer
My Blog - uneasy-rider.com
WWW   IP Logged
aikigreg

recumbent ninja

Reply #6 - Nov 7th, 2020, 4:51pm

Knowing you like I do, I knew you'd be back pushing the pace quickly.  Bright side, I guess your watts per kilogram are through the roof now!

I'm in it to Schwinn it.
Email   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print