Welcome, Guest. Please Login.
rbent - Recumbent Bike Enthusiasts of North Texas
Apr 29th, 2024, 12:28pm
News: Want to join the rbent Forum? See this thread.
Home Help Search Login

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
E-assist trikes (Read 1069 times)
howelljourney

rbent member

E-assist trikes
Oct 26th, 2020, 9:13am

My wife and I have two identical Hase Kettwiesel All-Rounds (delta style trikes) we ride on trails in Highland Village and Flower Mound, TX.   We bought them in 2011.   Periodically, we travel up to Lake Ray Roberts to ride on trails up there.  We live in Southern Denton Co.

I have always been enamored with the tadpole design and in time, I would like to ride one.   Several months ago, we had John’s Trikes in Lancaster perform a complete tune up on them and familiar with that trike dealer.  I have toyed with getting tadpole with an e-assist as a second trike.  My wife and I are in our early 70’s.

On a trail in Highland Village, TX, they have a sign posted with regulations to be followed on the trail including “No Motorized Vehicles”.  I am curious what the general rule might be for e-assist trikes for cities primarily on trails and this might apply to e-assist trikes.

Thank you in advance for any information.

Email   IP Logged
kenbent6
Five Star Member

rbent member

Re: E-assist trikes
Reply #1 - Oct 26th, 2020, 11:29am

T here are others with more information than I, But I have a e-bike and e-trike, I and many others ride them around White Rock lake and other trails [smiley=deadhorsebeatherstrail in Dallas. So far after 3 years no one has say not to ride them. Just ride and enjoy. Smiley

IP Logged
Phantom Rider
Five Star Member

Reply #2 - Oct 26th, 2020, 1:22pm

I’ve discovered most cities posted the non-motorized areas long before e-assist became an item.  I would suggest you reach out to your local authorities for a clarification.  Just last week I rode alongside a North Richland Hills Police department volunteer on the cotton belt trail as we discussed my non-motorized trike compared to his e-bike.  Never thought to ask him For clarification of the rule.  I do know that in my area they are permitted so long as the motor itself cannot exceed 20mph.  While I don’t ride the trails often but when I do it’s not uncommon to encounter several e-assist bikes and trikes out there.  Recently I had been working at a local bike shop to assist in the COVID boom and it was not uncommon to see e-bikes coming in the door almost daily for some minor repair and they all were riding these trails.

2017 Cruzbike V20
2019 ICE VTX Black
SOLD - 2011 GT Karakorem 1.0 - 2012 Lightning Phantom II - 2004 Lightning P38 2013 Rans Rifle 2014 Catrike 700 - 2014 Bacchetta CA2
Email   IP Logged
jayg
Five Star Member

rbent member

Reply #3 - Oct 26th, 2020, 8:29pm

Highland Village doesn't permit E-bikes, and apparently E-trikes, on trails.

See: https://regroup.com/networks/HighlandVillage-TX/groups/highland-village-alerts/p
osts/motorized-vehicles-prohibited-in-city-parks-and-inland-trail-system  (Going to have to copy and paste this address to access the site)

See Highland Village City Ordinance 14.04.067 here: https://z2.franklinlegal.net/franklin/Z2Browser2.html?showset=highlandvillageset

If there is any such restriction on Dallas County trails, it's not being enforced.

« Last Edit: Oct 27th, 2020, 7:57am by jayg »  
Email   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print