Welcome, Guest. Please Login.
rbent - Recumbent Bike Enthusiasts of North Texas
May 16th, 2024, 5:56am
News: Want to join the rbent Forum? See this thread.
Home Help Search Login

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Show us your pain cave! (Read 1161 times)
aikigreg

recumbent ninja

Show us your pain cave!
Jun 1st, 2020, 10:11pm

Since I'm back to riding 4 years after buying a house intentionally near great cycling.....
Step 1:. Paint boring white wall.  
Step 2:  hang  bike racks.  
https://imgur.com/gallery/9u7bsUg
Step 3:. Install swinging tv for Zwift or  other distraction while on trainer.  
https://imgur.com/gallery/qJ9yp2E
Next step is to hang all the cycling related art I've been saving for this.  

I'm in it to Schwinn it.
Email   IP Logged
Rat Rider

Recumbents Across
Texas

Re: Show us your pain cave!
Reply #1 - Jun 2nd, 2020, 7:06am

The picture is a little busy. Essentially, it is a donor Rocket frame and a donor Cruzbike Sofrider drivetrain. The rear end is a 135mm fork-mount bolted to a stack of 2x6's. The cycleops trainer and the rest, is mounted on plywood. The entire contraption is setting on indoor/outdoor carpet. It is used exclusively with Zwift. It is about the 4th iteration of a bent living in front of the TV. An Enduro, Barcroft, and the aforementioned softrider resided there previously. I ride here 6 or 7 hours each week, almost every day. The confusion of bikes is the attempt to use the shortest amount of chain on the drive. In my mind, it is more efficient. On paper, I appear equally weak regardless of the bike. Wink

http://i.imgur.com/9bI7DBMh.jpg

« Last Edit: Jun 2nd, 2020, 8:14pm by Rat Rider »  

Metabike Mystique
Lightning Phantom II
CruzRocket indoor recumbent Zwift trainer
Ranger
Dakota

Need dependable wheels?
Email   IP Logged
aikigreg

recumbent ninja

Reply #2 - Jun 2nd, 2020, 4:14pm

How the hell did you come up with that idea???  Ingenious.   I'm hopefully going to get a smart trainer this fall. I was thinking about some donor bike to be a permanent setup. I suppose wheel size is irrelevant if you're not using the rear wheel anyway, yeah?

I tried zwift and could never get into it. I couldn't see the screen information.   Not a problem now so maybe i will like it more.

I'm in it to Schwinn it.
Email   IP Logged
Rat Rider

Recumbents Across
Texas

Reply #3 - Jun 2nd, 2020, 8:36pm

The idea was a work in progress. I wanted the short chainline, but did not want to spring for a Cruzbike. In a world of cheap two wheeled bents, Cruzbikes still hold their value, thus it is very difficult to find something on the cheap. I located a jacked-up (crashed) Vendetta frame that would have worked, but the owner wanted 500 bucks! Anyway, the doner bikes were both free for the price of shipping. The Sofrider was something someone wanted gone. The Rocket was perfect to the eye, but was actually a cull. I got it from a dealer friend. I cut the boom off the Rocket (an emotionally painful experience) and liberated the front end from the CB. The two had a quiet, arranged marriage. Now, I have got the seat options of the RANS (the CB seat is a hard no for me) and the drivetrain from the CB.

Voila!

PS the seat stays were a little wobbly. The strut I built in the back is not aluminum, but mild steel - weight be d a m n e d.

« Last Edit: Jun 2nd, 2020, 8:50pm by Rat Rider »  

Metabike Mystique
Lightning Phantom II
Ranger
Dakota

Need dependable wheels?
Email   IP Logged
Rat Rider

Recumbents Across
Texas

Reply #4 - Jun 2nd, 2020, 8:47pm

Quote from aikigreg on Jun 2nd, 2020, 4:14pm:

I tried Zwift and could never get into it. I couldn't see the screen information.   Not a problem now so maybe i will like it more.

I gave up on Zwift and several others multiple times. When a friend of mine introduced me to group rides and group time-trial racing, my interest has grown. The level of workout has been more intense than my outdoor rides. Also, I am a thoroughly accomplished procrastinator. Having the opportunity to start after dark, etc., is a plus for me. I skip fewer workout days.

« Last Edit: Jun 2nd, 2020, 9:23pm by Rat Rider »  

Metabike Mystique
Lightning Phantom II
Ranger
Dakota

Need dependable wheels?
Email   IP Logged
Bud_Bent

Reply #5 - Jun 3rd, 2020, 5:44am

My setup is pretty simple, my Xstream on a Cyclops H2 in the dining room. My 10 inch tablet clamps on the handlebar, and I do Rouvy. Rouvy works great, and is quite a bit less expensive than Zwift.

I've put quite a few miles on that setup. Most of my winter miles are done on it, but all of my rides in May were outdoors, except one 15 mile ride on a rainy Saturday.

« Last Edit: Jun 3rd, 2020, 5:45am by Bud_Bent »  

Bud
* 2009 RANS F-5 Pro
* 2009 RANS XStream
* 2004 RANS Screamer
My Blog - uneasy-rider.com
WWW   IP Logged
jrob_bent
Five Star Member

rbent member

Reply #6 - Jun 3rd, 2020, 3:54pm

Quote from aikigreg on Jun 1st, 2020, 10:11pm:
Since I'm back to riding 4 years after buying a house intentionally near great cycling.....
Step 1:. Paint boring white wall.
Step 2:  hang  bike racks.
https://imgur.com/gallery/9u7bsUg
Step 3:. Install swinging tv for Zwift or  other distraction while on trainer.
https://imgur.com/gallery/qJ9yp2E
Next step is to hang all the cycling related art I've been saving for this.

You bought a house! That's great. I bought a trainer and thought I was going to do Trainer Roads or Zwift. That was 2 years ago and the trainer is back in box. But I do have a pain cave called a WAW.

I get about 15 miles per honey bun!
Email   IP Logged
aikigreg

recumbent ninja

Reply #7 - Jun 3rd, 2020, 8:28pm

Bud, I've been using my quarantine time to slowly go through all the free trials of everything. I've done zwift, xert, and am on trainer road currently. I really like xert the most i think.  I'll try rouvy or fulgaz next. I like TR because it adapts to either inside or outside. Best buy was having a fire sale on those tvs.  I couldn't use the tablet so it was my phone and a laptop that wouldn't hold a charge until this week!   I've also been fishing every day since i live across from a pond. I've been teaching myself how to fish with artificials. After 3 weeks of nothing i finally started catching small bass.  No crappie in the pond whatsoever.  Smiley

Roy i dig the ingenuity!  

If i can save my pennies I'm going for a smart trainer this fall.

I'm in it to Schwinn it.
Email   IP Logged
Bud_Bent

Reply #8 - Jun 5th, 2020, 6:09pm

With this ANT+ stick plugged into my android tablet, I can use the same heart rate and cadence sensors with Rouvy on the H2 trainer setup that I use with my Garmin on the road, and of course the H2 has a power meter built in. It all works well.

« Last Edit: Jun 5th, 2020, 6:14pm by Bud_Bent »  

Bud
* 2009 RANS F-5 Pro
* 2009 RANS XStream
* 2004 RANS Screamer
My Blog - uneasy-rider.com
WWW   IP Logged
aikigreg

recumbent ninja

Reply #9 - Jun 6th, 2020, 4:45pm

That's cool. I may have to get one of those and mirror it to the tv.

I'm in it to Schwinn it.
Email   IP Logged
Rat Rider

Recumbents Across
Texas

Reply #10 - Aug 23rd, 2020, 9:16am

Update:

I am happy to report the akigreg has been sucked into the Zwift borg. He is a contributing member of a recumbent time trial team (TTT) that races every Thurs. Surrounding the race is a constant flow of BS and recommendations about all things Zwift racing. Ours is a team comradery, minus the judgmental nonsense - equal parts self aggrandizing and self deprecation. Fun, Fun, Fun, till the daddy takes the t-bird away ♫♪♪!

Observe Greg (in France) on the left, out of the saddle. Quite a trick on his RANS trainer-bike.

https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/50258825166_0f1f884077_b.jpg

« Last Edit: Aug 23rd, 2020, 9:27am by Rat Rider »  

Metabike Mystique
Lightning Phantom II
Ranger
Dakota

Need dependable wheels?
Email   IP Logged
aikigreg

recumbent ninja

Reply #11 - Aug 23rd, 2020, 6:18pm

I got skillz, yo.  

It's been fun and I'm especially enjoying the camaraderie and getting to ride with you and Ray again. My motivation has never been higher.

I'm in it to Schwinn it.
Email   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print