Welcome, Guest. Please Login.
rbent - Recumbent Bike Enthusiasts of North Texas
May 18th, 2024, 11:00pm
News: Want to join the rbent Forum? See this thread.
Home Help Search Login

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
One thing's for sure (Read 833 times)
aikigreg

recumbent ninja

One thing's for sure
Mar 25th, 2020, 12:10am

I'm getting back in some semblance of shape with all this spring break I'm having. Not everyone knows I've had some struggles due to RA complications. A whole host of symptoms and damage to the lungs among them.  Thought i was going to have to quit work and go on disability.  I could barely get off the couch for 2 years.  The symptoms started lessening a year ago and I've been gaining strength back. Started swimming this August which seemingly started to rehab my lungs.  Set up the trainer last month and couldn't do 15 minutes.  

But it's getting better. 45 on the trainer and today i did 2 hours on the trike mostly without assist.   I've been riding out walking every day the last 2 weeks. Don't know how much i can get back, and obviously it's not like i have it worse than many others,  but it's been a nice sliver looking to this cloud.

« Last Edit: Mar 25th, 2020, 12:45am by aikigreg »  

I'm in it to Schwinn it.
Email   IP Logged
Rat Rider

Recumbents Across
Texas

Re: One thing's for sure
Reply #1 - Mar 25th, 2020, 9:03am

Go for it! Glad to hear you are pedaling again.

Metabike Mystique
Lightning Phantom II
CruzRocket indoor recumbent Zwift trainer
Ranger
Dakota

Need dependable wheels?
Email   IP Logged
Phantom Rider
Five Star Member

Reply #2 - Mar 25th, 2020, 5:07pm

Great news Greg, congratulations on moving forward.

2017 Cruzbike V20
2019 ICE VTX Black
SOLD - 2011 GT Karakorem 1.0 - 2012 Lightning Phantom II - 2004 Lightning P38 2013 Rans Rifle 2014 Catrike 700 - 2014 Bacchetta CA2
Email   IP Logged
Bud_Bent

Reply #3 - Mar 26th, 2020, 5:47pm

Glad to hear you're riding again, old friend. I hope you are able to stay with it. I am fortunate enough to still be averaging 100 miles a week after all these years, though last year, over half of my miles were on a trainer. The older I get, the more leery I am of riding on wet roads, and my own damaged lungs don't like breathing cold air while I'm riding at all these days.

« Last Edit: Mar 26th, 2020, 5:47pm by Bud_Bent »  

Bud
* 2009 RANS F-5 Pro
* 2009 RANS XStream
* 2004 RANS Screamer
My Blog - uneasy-rider.com
WWW   IP Logged
square_corners
Five Star Member

rbent member

Reply #4 - Mar 26th, 2020, 9:03pm

Congratulations on making real recovery progress, Greg! I didn't know about your issues with RA but I did notice a lack of posts on Facebook and knew you were having issues because you sold the velomobile. Hope you can keep up the good progress!

Email   IP Logged
diannalightning
Five Star Member

rbent member

Reply #5 - Mar 27th, 2020, 5:53pm

Greg, really glad to hear that you're back on a bike.  Hopefully see you and wife at a ride this year.  

Bud, my lungs have never liked the cold temps and now they're raising cane about the pollen.  All I can say, just keep on pedaling.

IP Logged
aikigreg

recumbent ninja

Reply #6 - Mar 27th, 2020, 11:19pm

I'm definitely much more susceptible to the cold,smog, and allergens than ever before. I'm just glad to be off the multiple inhalers, though i could stand to use one occasionally. Bud, i don't know how you do it other than an indomitable spirit.  For me the road back was swimming. Just a few times out and back at the Y took me a half hour. I had made it up to an hour solid and 2.5min pet 200m.  After that i no longer wanted to throw up before i got 5 minutes on the bike. We'll see what happens when i make it above the 20 mile Mark.

I'm in it to Schwinn it.
Email   IP Logged
rmillay
Five Star Member

rbent member; go
Clowns!

Reply #7 - Mar 28th, 2020, 10:31am

Good going, Greg.  I hope the gains last!  I myself have to get untethered from this wound vac and off antibiotics before considering pedaling around a bit on the trike.

Catrike 700
RANS Formula LE , sold
Catrike Musashi
Catrike Speed
Catrike Speed, sold back

"It [Nissan Titan] wasn't named truck of the year because it wasn't the best!" Clay Cooley in his TV a
Email   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print