Welcome, Guest. Please Login.
rbent - Recumbent Bike Enthusiasts of North Texas
Apr 29th, 2024, 11:53am
News: Want to join the rbent Forum? See this thread.
Home Help Search Login

Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print
My new ride. (Read 8618 times)
jrob_bent
Five Star Member

rbent member

My new ride.
Dec 16th, 2018, 11:44am

My new to me Greenspeed SLR. A new fairing will be built around it OZ style!

I get about 15 miles per honey bun!
Email   IP Logged
reever

rbent member

Re: My new ride.
Reply #1 - Dec 16th, 2018, 5:09pm

That front crank is HUGE.  I know it's because you've got a smaller back wheel, but it makes it look like you are POWERFUL!!!

Adults should have fun so kids will want to grow up!

For every mile of road there's two miles of ditch.

I'd rather be sorry for something I did than for something I didn't do.
Email   IP Logged
jrob_bent
Five Star Member

rbent member

Reply #2 - Dec 16th, 2018, 5:48pm

It will be even larger when I get the fairing on it!

Email   IP Logged
jayg
Five Star Member

rbent member

Reply #3 - Dec 16th, 2018, 11:52pm

Congratulations on your acquisition, Jerry, There's no derailleur post, so you shift the chain between the two rings by hand? What are the tooth counts on the small and large cassette cogs?

Email   IP Logged
jrob_bent
Five Star Member

rbent member

Reply #4 - Dec 17th, 2018, 11:05am

Quote from jayg on Dec 16th, 2018, 11:52pm:
Congratulations on your acquisition, Jerry, There's no derailleur post, so you shift the chain between the two rings by hand? What are the tooth counts on the small and large cassette cogs?

Thanks Jay. It comes with another brand new boom with derailleur post. He had a mountain drive extra, but I didn't need it. Comes with another set of wheels with drum brakes and brand new seat pad. It comes with two 60t chain rings. I didn't ask about the small one. When I get the shell built for it I will be putting a 85t chain ring on it. Don't know what the rear cassette is. This is the 1st fairing going on it.  
http://trisled.com.au/product/tomahawk-fairing-kit/

Later a CF/kevlar fairing something like this. http://trisled.com.au/hpv/aquila/

« Last Edit: Dec 17th, 2018, 11:08am by jrob_bent »  

Email   IP Logged
jrob_bent
Five Star Member

rbent member

Reply #5 - Dec 22nd, 2018, 7:36am

Jay, one day when it is warm and nice, I'll bring the SLR to WRL and let you compare it to the Aero.

Email   IP Logged
jrob_bent
Five Star Member

rbent member

Reply #6 - Dec 22nd, 2018, 8:10am

This is one comparison of the two. https://laidback.me/greenspeed-aero/

Email   IP Logged
jayg
Five Star Member

rbent member

Reply #7 - Dec 22nd, 2018, 9:26am

Quote from jrob_bent on Dec 22nd, 2018, 8:10am:
This is one comparison of the two. https://laidback.me/greenspeed-aero/

Wonder where the owner got the Stelvio tires he put on his Aero? They were discontinued years ago. Stelvios were good tires, but not as good as Scorcher 120's when it comes to performance and ride quality. My Aero will never have anything but Scorchers on it.

Is the SLR's frame constructed of steel or aluminum?  

Email   IP Logged
jrob_bent
Five Star Member

rbent member

Reply #8 - Dec 22nd, 2018, 9:41am

Michael buys up all kinds of stuff including tires and wheels. I found  406 Schwalbe Marathon Supremes from a seller on Ebay who had bought up 1,500 when he knew they were going to discontinue them. I bought 4! He has 4 left. Do you use regular Scorchers or the 120's?

The SLR is chromoly.

Email   IP Logged
jayg
Five Star Member

rbent member

Reply #9 - Dec 22nd, 2018, 10:13am

Quote from jrob_bent on Dec 22nd, 2018, 9:41am:
Michael buys up all kinds of stuff including tires and wheels. I found  406 Schwalbe Marathon Supremes from a seller on Ebay who had bought up 1,500 when he knew they were going to discontinue them. I bought 4! He has 4 left. Do you use regular Scorchers or the 120's?

The SLR is chromoly.

My Aero came with 120's. I replaced them with 120's, after 2,500 miles. Still had plenty of tread left, but the rear tire kept flatting. Couldn't identify the cause, so just replaced all the tires.

If you're running 120's on the SLR, its steel frame and longer wheel base should provide a more compliant ride than that provided by the Aero.

Email   IP Logged
jrob_bent
Five Star Member

rbent member

Reply #10 - Dec 22nd, 2018, 11:30am

I'll be running 120's. The trike comes with an extra set of wheels with SA drum brakes. I am thinking about building 406 wheels out of them for the street use. It had 406 on it at one time. With the 349's on the front it has no ground clearance.  

I am going nuts waiting for it to get here!

Email   IP Logged
jayg
Five Star Member

rbent member

Reply #11 - Dec 22nd, 2018, 6:39pm

Quote from jrob_bent on Dec 22nd, 2018, 11:30am:
I'll be running 120's. The trike comes with an extra set of wheels with SA drum brakes. I am thinking about building 406 wheels out of them for the street use. It had 406 on it at one time. With the 349's on the front it has no ground clearance.

I am going nuts waiting for it to get here!

If you put 406 front wheels on the trike, you won't be able to install Greenspeed carbon wheel covers on them. The covers are designed for a 349 drum brake wheel with a machined flat surfaces on the rim. The covers are part of what makes the Aero fast.

« Last Edit: Dec 22nd, 2018, 6:40pm by jayg »  
Email   IP Logged
jrob_bent
Five Star Member

rbent member

Reply #12 - Dec 22nd, 2018, 8:58pm

I ordered some CF and epoxy just for that reason Jay. Warren on recumbents.com even has a tutorial on how to make them. I'll use the Sikaflex 221 glue to attach them.  

I just found this video. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n5azpbrTgTg

« Last Edit: Dec 22nd, 2018, 9:01pm by jrob_bent »  

Email   IP Logged
jayg
Five Star Member

rbent member

Reply #13 - Dec 22nd, 2018, 11:02pm

Quote from jrob_bent on Dec 22nd, 2018, 8:58pm:
I ordered some CF and epoxy just for that reason Jay. Warren on recumbents.com even has a tutorial on how to make them. I'll use the Sikaflex 221 glue to attach them.

I just found this video. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n5azpbrTgTg

I intended to make a post on BROL about that video, but never got around to it. IMO using Sikaflex 221 would be a big mistake. Might not be able to remove the covers, after gluing them to the rims. One thing I know for sure, it would be extremely difficult to remove this urethane product from the rims and covers, after it cures. The Aero's covers are attached to the rims with exterior grade automotive trim attachment tape. It's a double-backed tape with a very thin foam core. The covers are removed from the rims by inserting a sharp, thin blade in the tape's core and moving it around the rim. When I reinstalled the covers on my Aero's rear wheel, I used 1/4" wide 3M Auto Exterior Attachment Tape, Product # 38583 I purchased at Auto Zone. Covers have to be carefully aligned prior to placement on the rim, because they can't be re-positioned after they are stuck to the rim. Prior to installing the new tape, I removed the existing tape adhesive from the covers and rims with carburetor cleaner and a sharp, hard-plastic scraper blade. Didn't damage the carbon covers at all.

Email   IP Logged
jrob_bent
Five Star Member

rbent member

Reply #14 - Dec 23rd, 2018, 7:35am

Thanks Jay. The guy who sold me the trike said the same thing about using automotive attachment tape. Glad I found out before hand! I was going to contact Greenspeed before using the Sikaflex 221.  

I did find out from Trisled that they use Sikaflex 227 glue and Nashua 357 tape on their coroplast Tomahawk kits. Just wipe the coroplast with methylated spirits such as denatured alcohol first to remove the wax film left from processing the coroplast.

Email   IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print