Welcome, Guest. Please Login.
rbent - Recumbent Bike Enthusiasts of North Texas
May 1st, 2024, 10:07pm
News: Want to join the rbent Forum? See this thread.
Home Help Search Login

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Repair ding in carbon fiber seat? (Read 1445 times)
slo-rider

rbent member

Repair ding in carbon fiber seat?
May 2nd, 2018, 10:43am

The carbon fiber hard shell seat on my HP Velo StreetMachine has a ding in the side where the previous owner went down.  Structurally, there is no problem with the ding in the side. Aesthetically, however, it looks bad.  Has anyone found a carbon fiber repair shop in DFW?  I see places in Austin, but haven't seen any locally.

Slo-rider
Bacchetta Aero 3.0
HP Velotechnik Street Machine
Sold:
Rans F5
HP Velotechnik Grasshopper
  IP Logged
jayg
Five Star Member

rbent member

Re: Repair ding in carbon fiber seat?
Reply #1 - May 2nd, 2018, 11:12am

Quote from slo-rider on May 2nd, 2018, 10:43am:
The carbon fiber hard shell seat on my HP Velo StreetMachine has a ding in the side where the previous owner went down.  Structurally, there is no problem with the ding in the side. Aesthetically, however, it looks bad.  Has anyone found a carbon fiber repair shop in DFW?  I see places in Austin, but haven't seen any locally.

Did a search last week and, like you, found that Austin was the closest place to have carbon fiber repair work done.  

Email   IP Logged
TonyWard
Five Star Member

rbent member

Reply #2 - May 2nd, 2018, 3:55pm

I talked with Tim Massengill as he was referred by a local bike shop on a repair to my carbon road bike.  Didn't end up repairing as I got it replaced by the manufacturer instead based on Tim's recommendation.  It has been a couple years but you should be able to reach him at tim@massengillframes.com  

He was out of the Denton area last I talked to him.

The road goes on forever and the party never ends - Robert Earl Keen
Email   IP Logged
jrob_bent
Five Star Member

rbent member

Reply #3 - May 2nd, 2018, 5:49pm

Tim emailed me today and is out of the country until sometime in June.

I get about 15 miles per honey bun!
Email   IP Logged
reever

rbent member

Reply #4 - May 2nd, 2018, 8:37pm

Hey Jerry,

I've got a few rolls of carbon fiber that I got back when I used to do this contest in my physics class called "The West Texas Punkin Chunkin Championships." We made big trebuchets with 30 foot long arms that were suspended 15 feet up in the air with 300 pound counterweights on them. We had a formula for determining the winner--weight of pumpkin X distance it was chunked. The record, by the way, was chunking a 28 pound pumpkin 101 yards. All of that was just to say that our arm was basically sawed down to two 2X4's with a 1/2" plywood glued and screwed in the middle. We ran 20' strands of the fibers down through a channel that we routed in the center and played them in an epoxy ooze. Then we wrapped the whole arm with the stuff and painted it with epoxy. The epoxy kind of melts the stuff into a harder than rock black mass that I guess can be sanded into something that would fill in a ding.
If you want, I could bring some of the stuff next time I come to big D.

Adults should have fun so kids will want to grow up!

For every mile of road there's two miles of ditch.

I'd rather be sorry for something I did than for something I didn't do.
Email   IP Logged
jrob_bent
Five Star Member

rbent member

Reply #5 - May 3rd, 2018, 7:54am

Hi Jim,

Sounds like your class was fun. We made a crude trebuchet when I was young and got into trouble. We were launching bricks into the neighbors pasture. Who knew bulls were curious. My dad did not spoil the rod or my rear end!

I am going to let Jim do the work on the NoCom when he returns. The work needs to be done right by someone who knows what they are doing. If it was cosmetic, I would do it, but mine is structural in nature. Thanks for the offer. Let me know when you are coming back this way. Maybe we can get together and ride.  

Jerry

I get about 15 miles per honey bun!
Email   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print