Welcome, Guest. Please Login.
rbent - Recumbent Bike Enthusiasts of North Texas
May 2nd, 2024, 5:08am
News: Want to join the rbent Forum? See this thread.
Home Help Search Login

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Pac Tour Desert Camp Century Week #2 (Read 1874 times)
square_corners
Five Star Member

rbent member

Pac Tour Desert Camp Century Week #2
Mar 29th, 2018, 4:37pm

Sunday, March 18th 2018, Day 1, Tucson to Nogales
This was the first day of Pac Tour Desert Camp, 2nd Century Week. The title is something of a misnomer as I didn't do any centuries, part by happenstance and part by choice. I've done many Pac Tour events but I've never done a Desert Camp week, even though it's been offered for several years in March. This particular day's ride was the ride from Tucson to Nogales, right down on the border with Mexico and a border wall visible on the hillside just south of the hotel we stayed at. I rode the velomobile this day and I have to say it was a lot of fun especially on the many rollers we encountered. That's because the rollers turn the velomobile into a perpetual motion machine - down one, building momentum, up the next on momentum and never touching the pedals, down the next, and so on. It's also a good climbing machine on mild hills. I was able to pass most road bikes on easy grades while in the big ring. I was surprised about that. Then there were the really challenging hills - 11, 13, 14, & 16%. Challenging because I was riding a 55 lb vehicle with additional carry weight of perhaps 10 lb plus my weight. That's a lot of inertia when momentum doesn't take care of it. But I even managed those hills. Rounding it out were the miles long grades of 3% and 5% - those had me grinding along at relatively low speed. Even so, I wasn't passed by anyone nor did I catch anyone. You take the bad with the good, but on this day the good won the day!      
BIKE: DF 166; start time: 07:48; end: 14:42; avg:15.1; max: 36; climb: 3097; miles: 80.37
PARTLY cloudy; wind: W 5-SW10; start  temp: 48; min: 48; avg: 64; max: 75; end: 70
https://connect.garmin.com/modern/activity/2566748816

Email   IP Logged
square_corners
Five Star Member

rbent member

Re: Pac Tour Desert Camp Century Week #2
Reply #1 - Mar 29th, 2018, 5:14pm

Monday, March 19th 2018, Day 2, Nogales to Sierra Vista
The second day was to be 92 miles and it started off well, until mile 9. I had some easy rolling with easy grades followed by a fairly steep downhill that was quite lengthy and then a long uphill with an easier grade. Half way up the long grade approaching mile 9, I had shifted onto the small ring. I continued but there was an unusual noise this time and that noise continued despite attempting adjustments by clicking the twist shift forward, then back. When I turned the twist shift back, I was suddenly treading water - turning the pedals without the chain moving. I quickly set the parking brake as I had no forward or backward control and was on a blind hill on a curve - not good. I jumped out of the velomobile and picked it up to move it to the shoulder. Then I removed the access panel to the front chainrings and derailleur and saw that the chain had fallen off the small ring onto the bottom bracket and I also saw the reason why. The power side chain tube had become dislodged from it's mooring and had partially wrapped itself around the small chainring. Well, that was a deal breaker. The chain tube was securely in that position and wouldn't move back. It was time to call back up. Fortunately, the Pac Tour folks had wisely decided to bring my van along as none of their vans would accomodate the velomobile if I had a mechanical. One of the crew was driving my van and he was at the market in Nogales and would be coming my way in a short while. When he got there, I loaded the VM into the van and resigned myself to driving the balance of the 92 mile distance. Much later, at the mechanic stand in Sierra Vista, it was determined that the chain was off the 2 idlers and had been ripped away from it's mooring, not just simply dislodged. There seemed no other choice but to remove the damaged chain tube and reposition the chain under the idlers. I test rode the velomobile and all seemed to be working ok. Hopefully tomorrow will go better.  
 BIKE: DF 166; start time: 07:55; end: 08:37; avg:13.9; max: 43.8; climb: 545; miles: 9.25  
 PARTLY cloudy; wind: SW 5-10; start  temp: 45; min: 45; avg: 53; max: 59; end: 55  
https://connect.garmin.com/modern/activity/2566748831

« Last Edit: Mar 29th, 2018, 6:32pm by square_corners »  
Email   IP Logged
square_corners
Five Star Member

rbent member

Reply #2 - Mar 29th, 2018, 6:38pm

Tuesday, March 20th, 2018, day 3, Bisbee - Gleeson Loop
Hoping for a better day, I started off planning on doing the long loop which would be 97 miles and would pass through Bisbee and Gleeson. Because the Velo was locked away in one of the trailers, I ended up getting a later than usual start as I had to restock the Velo with the essentials before I could leave. So I saw very few riders in the first few miles. I passed a couple and one passed me. The latter was because I was attempting to stay to the right of the rumble strip. That space was so narrow that I had to run the left wheel on the rumble strip at times to keep the right wheel from going off the pavement. I could not go fast. The road bike rider was riding to the left of the rumble strip and as it was a downhill, he made very good time on the way down. After that, I rode to the left of the rumble strip as well until I reached the San Pedro River. After that the shoulder got a little better and I returned to the right of the rumble strip. The road continued uphill gradually getting steeper. So this whole section was slow. I reached the first rest stop at mile 17 and pulled in there. I was feeling uncertain about what could possibly go wrong with the velomobile next and the riders at that first stop were advising that the road gets very steep as it reaches the summit of the pass. Between uncertainty about the steepness of the hill and the potential for anymore breakdowns, I decided to skip the long route and do the short route. That entailed turning around and going downhill to head straight for Tombstone. As soon as I turned back, I tried to get into the big ring and it wouldn't go. I knew much of the route to Tombstone trended downhill. I would just have to pedal the hills and would coast until my speed dropped to 15 mph. There were a couple long climbs in the beginning, after turning around, and a climb into Tombstone. The rest of it entailed a lot of coasting. It was around 16 miles to Tombstone. The lunch truck wouldn't be there yet so I had lunch on my own. Then I paid a visit to the lunch truck an hour later to let them know what I was doing and then I left for Sierra Vista. Had a big slow bump after lunch and then about 8 miles of coasting roller after roller. Once I crossed the San Pedro River, I had a longish climb and that's when disaster struck. Once again the drive train was making a lot of unusual noise and the chain was dragging on the bottom of the carbon fiber shell. I decided I should stop and investigate. But, upon trying to reposition the pedals for easier unclipping, I realized the pedals wouldn't backpedal. I managed to dismount anyway, moved the velo off the road, and waited for Lon to arrive with my van. I'd called him and he was just leaving Tombstone. When he arrived I'd decided to put the velo in the van and be done with it. At the mechanics stand, it was determined that the chain was cutting into the carbon fiber tunnel and was stuck. That's why it wouldn't turn backwards. I went to Lowes and bought some plastic tubing and Lon and Mark installed that as a temporary replacement for the missing chain tube. I test rode the velo around the hotel a couple times but I wasn't satisfied. There was a very loud noise coming from the rear derailleur, or so it seemed. It was too late to do anything else that day and I agreed to ride a road bike the next day.  
 BIKE: DF 166; start time: 08:01; end: 13:20; avg:13.8; max: 41.5; climb: 1572; miles: 42.67  
 SUNNY; wind: SE 3-10; start  temp: 57; min: 55; avg: 77; max: 86; end: 82  
https://connect.garmin.com/modern/activity/2572727204

Email   IP Logged
square_corners
Five Star Member

rbent member

Reply #3 - Mar 29th, 2018, 8:14pm

Wednesday, March 21st 2018, day 4, Through the Fort
Lon set up his Trek for me, I took it for a spin around the hotel, and all was good, save for raising the saddle a couple inches. I was going to feel naked without my camelbak and I had just 2 bottles to sustain myself. But fortunately it was a relatively warm morning with low humidity and low wind, which also helped to make it feel less chilly. As I had no space to stash extra clothing, I didn't bring much extra. I was still a bit late taking off but barefoot Mike from California was leaving then and I stuck by him until we caught up with some others. I was going through Fort Huachuca and he was not so I went through with some others. Once we got through the busy areas of the Fort we started hitting the hills. They were steep and relentless. I enjoyed the heck out of it as I could do any of them on the road bike - wasn't so sure I could have managed it on the velo. Met up with Bruce and Sally whom I'd met at the Fort Huachuca security office where we'd been waiting for our security passes a couple days before. I rode with them quite a bit - Sally was a better climber than Bruce, but Bruce was a better descender. So I climbed with Sally and descended with Bruce and waited for Sally to catch up. Left the base via the West Gate but did not leave the hills behind - there were many more as we headed toward Sonoita where the lunch stop was. I hadn't decided if I was going on to Patagonia but when we got to Sonoita, I decided against continuing to Patagonia. Wanted to make sure to get back to the hotel in time for more work on the Velo. So after lunch turned back the way I'd come and traversed all those hills the opposite way - it seemed a little harder going back; trends uphill toward the Main Gate of the base and then a little downhill back to the hotel. Once the ride was done Mark worked on the Velo, mainly adjusting the front and rear shifting. When he was done, it was my turn - take it for a test ride and run through the gears. I did so, 4 times around the hotel. Shifting was flawless, noise was gone from the rear, and chain was moving through the temporary chain tube without a hitch. Did I want to ride the velo during the next 2 days? Nope. I was pretty gun shy with regard to whether I could do the next 2 days without another breakdown. I had zero confidence in it at that point and the road bike was just fine. Lon was very happy I'd decided to ride the road bike. He was very tired of working on the velo. So, I put the velo in the van and rode the road bike for the duration.  
 BIKE: Lon's Trek; start time: 07:45; end: 13:45; avg:15.2; max: 35; climb: 4689; miles: 71.8  
 HIGH CLOUDS ; wind: S 5-10; start temp: 57; end: 84  
Didn't use the Garmin as there was no mount for the Garmin - I bought one at the bike shop that evening, for the next 2 days.

Email   IP Logged
square_corners
Five Star Member

rbent member

Reply #4 - Mar 29th, 2018, 9:11pm

Thursday, March 22nd 2018, day 5,  BENSON KARTCHNER CAVES LOOP
I rode pretty much solo on this one although I rode with my room mate from Tombstone until he had a flat and told me to go on. I rode with Bruce and Sally for the last 4 miles - other than that, I was on my own. The first part of the ride was from Sierra Vista to Tombstone. That's mostly uphill. I felt great and passed many riders I thought would be faster on a climb. I was also passed by a long paceline. I thought about getting on but it goes against my grain to draft. So I resisted the urge. The rest stop at Tombstone was actually before the main part of town. I stayed there about 15 minutes and then headed north toward Benson, which is on I-10. This is the part where I rode with my room mate. He had a blow out in St David and I stopped with him but he said he didn't need any help. So I went on toward Benson. Caught up to Susan and Barb and stayed with them until the Visitor Center where I picked up a map of Arizona and a map of Cochise County, which occupies the SE corner of the state and is where we were riding. The second rest stop was just beyond and I refilled my Hammer Nutrition in my bottle. I also had a camelbak now as I remembered that I had an REI daypack in the van which had a pocket for a bladder. So, with the camelbak and a brand new Garmin mount on the handlebar, I was almost at home on the road bike. The only thing lacking was a set of aerobars for shifting hand position. From Benson we headed toward Karchner Caverns, where the lunch stop was located. Most riders toured the caverns. I didn't as my sciatica would be giving me pain if I tried to walk the caverns. The sciatica doesn't bother me on the bike, fortunately. There was a steep 10%, long climb, after Benson and then a miles long gentler climb toward the lunch stop. There was also a headwind which would become a bigger factor after lunch. But it was getting hotter and I was enjoying the breeze because it had a slight cooling effect. Lunch was great and the shade was nice. Fortunately, it was dry heat! The next segment of the ride took us through Huachuca City and a long descent followed by a longer climb. That's when I had the flat - front flat. I was in front of an abandoned steel building with a large concrete block in the front. I parked the bike in the shade and sat on the block while I took care of the flat. Never could find what caused the flat. Put the new tube in, pumped it up, and it held air - win win. From there it was just a few miles in. Rode with Bruce and Sally in the last few miles and when we got to the hotel she brought me a beer from their stash - that hit the spot. This would have been an excellent ride on the velo - too bad I missed out on that. Tomorrow: the last day - back to Tucson.
 BIKE: Lon's Trek; start time: 07:41; end: 14:37; avg:15.1; max: 33.4; climb: 2582; miles: 76.61  
 PARTLY CLOUDY; wind: S 10-15; start  temp: 59; min: 50; avg: 80; max: 93; end: 90  
https://connect.garmin.com/modern/activity/2572727312

Email   IP Logged
square_corners
Five Star Member

rbent member

Reply #5 - Mar 29th, 2018, 10:04pm

Friday, March 23rd 2018, day 6,  SIERRA VISTA TO TUCSON  
There were 2 ways to go back to Tucson - ride through the fort or ride around the fort. The ride around was shorter and flatter. The ride through was longer and hillier but the roads were almost traffic free and cleaner. I opted for the latter. I reached the first rest stop at Sonoita just a little before my room mate, who took the 'outside the fort' route. That confirmed to me that I had gone the right way. Mik and I rode out from the rest stop together for awhile. He was faster on the climbs when he was standing. I was faster when he wasn't standing. He went ahead after a traffic stop for road construction and I didn't see him again until the lunch stop. Of course, i was stopping to take photos and i wasn't concerned about catching him. In any case, he reached the lunch stop just a few minutes before i did. We had lunch together and I didn't see him again until the hotel, yet for some reason I finished ahead. I'll never figure that one out. I guess he didn't leave the lunch stop when i thought he had. Meantime, I'd caught 2 fast guys with Lindsay, drafting them, at a rail crossing while waiting on a train to pass. Lindsay is the British woman from Yorkshire who had emigrated to Vancouver BC six months before. Right after crossing the tracks we were on a wide, miles long bike path. It was nice as there were very few people using it. I decided to pace them and I had no trouble keeping their pace even though it was considerably faster than I had been going. I'm glad I did because there was a route change in the last few miles, once we got off the bike path that didn't show on the Garmin route. it was due to a road closure and I had the printed cue with me but I hadn't had time to change over to that page. Being with those three saved me that aggravation. So, tour finished, but disappointed with the days I had to cut short owing to the velomobile problems. Also disappointed I didn't feel confidence to continue riding the velomobile. But at the same time, i didn't want to continue to depend on the mechanic for solutions if I'd ridden it and had more problems. But the good news is I did get 6 rides in 6 days, enjoyed the scenery, took lots of photos, and met many good people. So, good times; good memories!
 BIKE: Lon's Trek; start time: 07:13; end: 14:00; avg:14.8; max: 33.8; climb: 3304; miles: 84  
 SUNNY; wind: W 7-15; start  temp: 55; min: 55; avg: 72; max: 91; end: 88  
https://connect.garmin.com/modern/activity/2586568283

« Last Edit: Mar 29th, 2018, 10:06pm by square_corners »  
Email   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print