Welcome, Guest. Please Login.
rbent - Recumbent Bike Enthusiasts of North Texas
May 3rd, 2024, 11:03pm
News: Want to join the rbent Forum? See this thread.
Home Help Search Login

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Goatneck July 30 (Read 4803 times)
MrWizard
Five Star Member

bonus mile sponge

Re: Goatneck July 30
Reply #15 - Jul 30th, 2016, 9:08pm

I remember that all too well ..   I would love to do that TT course if it was smooth, or at least not a reminder of some roads in Beirut ..  but I think I'm going to pass this year.

Quote from square_corners on Jul 30th, 2016, 7:42pm:
There was pretty rough chip seal in places. The part of the route that encompasses the Texas Time Trial course had some of the roughest chipseal. Fortunately, it was interspersed with smoother sections. If I were doing a time trial out there this September, I wouldn't be happy with the road surface! But I will be in Ireland so maybe it will be smoothed out a little by 2017.

Email   IP Logged
Phantom Rider
Five Star Member

Reply #16 - Jul 31st, 2016, 12:25pm

Quote from square_corners on Jul 30th, 2016, 3:58pm:
No problem at all that neither of you could make it (Doug and Joe). I had a blast doing the ride. Only saw one other bent rider on the 70 mile option. He was on a CA2 and it wasn't a good time to chat when I saw him. I finished the ride about 40 minutes ahead of the other CA2 rider and I was sitting at the Easy Street Kiosk having a slice of honeydew and chatting with the owner of Easy Street when I saw the other CA2 come in. That wasn't a good time to talk to him, either. In any case, I loved the ride. It's a great course for a recumbent if you love hills and I do. Had loads of fun passing almost every road bike on climbs as well as descents. Had a full 100 oz camelbak in the seat bag and that was all I needed - no cramping, no hunger, and no stops other than to address hot foot issues after Glen Rose. Had about half a bottle worth of cold water remaining in the camelbak, at the end. Final avg was 19.1 and top speed was 40. There was 2700 ft of climbing on this one.

Looks like you had a good ride, wish I could have done it but just didn't trust my knees.  I did a 50 mile route that really never has me very far from home and knees held up well.  I think I have figured out my issues and if I'm correct it's self inflicted, need a few more rides to validate.

2017 Cruzbike V20
2019 ICE VTX Black
SOLD - 2011 GT Karakorem 1.0 - 2012 Lightning Phantom II - 2004 Lightning P38 2013 Rans Rifle 2014 Catrike 700 - 2014 Bacchetta CA2
Email   IP Logged
square_corners
Five Star Member

rbent member

Reply #17 - Jul 31st, 2016, 11:33pm

The ride was great. I surprised myself posting an avg that high. I never look at averages until the end of a ride so the result came as a surprise to me. But I will say that there were a lot of shocked road bike riders out there as i zoomed up hills at double their speed or more, in the biggest gear or at least still on the big ring. I was passing road bikes on the climbs and on the descents. Passed quite a few pacelines as well. A few miles before Glen Rose, I passed a tandem couple I know from my membership in the LSC club, quite easily. They are a very strong tandem team. I had lunch with them after the ride and they said that was the first time anyone had passed them on a climb on this ride, let alone a recumbent. They were impressed. But you and I both know that recumbent riders who are strong riders can do amazing things on the right recumbent. Given the amount of climbing and using tactics to make best use of momentum, the hills were not a big deal and I made short work of most of them. Best of all, had no heat issues or even hints of cramping and an avg that rivals anything I get at White Rock Lake with way more feet per mile. I highly recommend this ride if you have a chance to do it next year. I might very well do it again next year, especially if I'm in shape!

Email   IP Logged
FlyingLaZBoy

'16 ICE SprintX fs,
'16 Rocket, '12 KHS
Mocha

Reply #18 - Aug 1st, 2016, 11:51am

Quote from square_corners on Jul 31st, 2016, 11:33pm:
...especially if I'm in shape!

Such a sandbagger....    Grin

"A hundred miles on a bike? How many
days does that take you?"

Email FlyingLaZBoy   IP Logged
square_corners
Five Star Member

rbent member

Reply #19 - Aug 1st, 2016, 3:30pm

I am in shape this year; no guarantee I will be, next year - no sandbagging predicted.

Email   IP Logged
MrWizard
Five Star Member

bonus mile sponge

Reply #20 - Aug 2nd, 2016, 1:13am

Quote from square_corners on Aug 1st, 2016, 3:30pm:
I am in shape this year; no guarantee I will be, next year - no sandbagging predicted.

Email   IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print