Welcome, Guest. Please Login.
rbent - Recumbent Bike Enthusiasts of North Texas
May 10th, 2024, 11:39am
News: Want to join the rbent Forum? See this thread.
Home Help Search Login

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Fine tuning the Musashi (Read 844 times)
jrob_bent
Five Star Member

rbent member

Fine tuning the Musashi
Jun 6th, 2016, 12:12pm

I finally got well and got the Musashi fitted to me. I went out for a short 10 mile ride Saturday morning and finished fine tuning the bike. I just love it. I was finished with my ride and was riding back to where the van was parked. I was making a left hand turn onto the street that would take me to Main Street and back to the van, when I saw a road bike then 3 mtb's go flying down the hill on Main St. It is about 2 blocks from where I was making the left. I get to Main St. and was turning right to go to my van, when I decided to see if I could catch the road bike and mtbs. I made a U-turn and took off. I was doing 42 mph down the hill and after about a 1/2 mile passed the 3 young guys on their mtbs. About a 1/2 mile later I caught the road bike as he was stopping at a stop sign. He was around 29-30 and looked like a road racer. I pulled up and told him how fast I had been going to catch him. He looked at me and said, " I go down that hill at 56 mph all the time." I smiled and just asked if I could ride the nest 2 miles with them. He said sure. I told him I was going to go as hard as I could for as long as I could when he said go. He turned to the young mtb riders and said watch this guys. Well, he said go and we were off. I left him pretty easily, and I hit 32 mph on the flat before reaching the next stop sign. Then we were off again to the next stop sign. Each time I would beat him badly. At the last stop sign I told him there was a nice little hill and I would love to see him do over 50 mph down it. We took off, and by the time I was half way down the hill, I was hitting 38-39 mph and just coasted the last 1/3rd of a mile to the end of the street. I waited under a shade tree, it was 87 degrees and very sunny, for everyone to get there. The 3 teenage mtb riders were yelling and telling me how fast I was and how neat my bike was. The guy on the rode bike, a Trek racing bike, and he had on his racing club jersey, pulled up. I looked at him and said to him I thought I was fairly fast, but he said no, it was he was just out of shape and had not ridden very much this year. The 3 teenagers said in unison, Man, you ride and train daily.  

They all wanted to see what my bike and me could do back up the hills, so off we went. When we got to the steep section, the 3 teenagers stood and started sprinting, so I kicked it as hard as I could. I was doing 22 mph by the time we reached the top. The teenagers were very excited and were saying they wanted a bike like that. Mr Trek wanted to know wasn't it hard to pedal up hill? I said did it look like it! Well, he had heard recumbents can't climb. I guess they were wrong. By now the 3 teenagers wanted to go off road riding, so I went back to the van and went home. All in all, I think I might have a couple of converts.

« Last Edit: Jun 6th, 2016, 12:15pm by jrob_bent »  

I get about 15 miles per honey bun!
Email   IP Logged
Action Lad
Five Star Member

rbent member

Re: Fine tuning the Musashi
Reply #1 - Jun 8th, 2016, 7:54pm

Quote from jrob_bent on Jun 6th, 2016, 12:12pm:
Mr Trek wanted to know wasn't it hard to pedal up hill? I said did it look like it! Well, he had heard recumbents can't climb. I guess they were wrong.
Lance could have made big money from his comment: "It's not about the bike."

"You can't see paradise if you don't pedal!"
T.J. Fowler -- Chicken Run
  IP Logged
jrob_bent
Five Star Member

rbent member

Re: Fine tuning the Musashi
Reply #2 - Jun 9th, 2016, 5:08pm

Quote from Action Lad on Jun 8th, 2016, 7:54pm:
Quote from jrob_bent on Jun 6th, 2016, 12:12pm:
Mr Trek wanted to know wasn't it hard to pedal up hill? I said did it look like it! Well, he had heard recumbents can't climb. I guess they were wrong.
Lance could have made big money from his comment: "It's not about the bike."

So true.

I get about 15 miles per honey bun!
Email   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print