Welcome, Guest. Please Login.
rbent - Recumbent Bike Enthusiasts of North Texas
May 18th, 2024, 5:01pm
News: Want to join the rbent Forum? See this thread.
Home Help Search Login

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Pedal Steer (Read 2657 times)
reever

rbent member

Pedal Steer
Apr 14th, 2016, 9:28am

Okay, I scoured the entire technical topic section yesterday trying to find some help on pedal steer on my Catrike Expedition, but found nothing on the subject.
I am wobbling all over the road with each pedal stroke. I don't really notice it until I put my head on the headrest, and then it's like I'm on a stormy ocean in a little canoe. So, I go back to not using the headrest. I'm okay riding an hour or so, but if I ever want to do a long ride......
What I want to know is.....is there some kind of damper that can lessen this? I've been trying to pedal circles instead of just pushing. What I've heard is that higher RPM's might help, but it seems to be worse at high RPM's. Do I maybe have something that is worn out on the Expedition that I could replace?
Help!

Adults should have fun so kids will want to grow up!

For every mile of road there's two miles of ditch.

I'd rather be sorry for something I did than for something I didn't do.
Email   IP Logged
jrob_bent
Five Star Member

rbent member

Re: Pedal Steer
Reply #1 - Apr 14th, 2016, 3:19pm

Reever, this is what I have found on BROL.http://www.bentrideronline.com/messageboard/showthread.php?t=71499. Hope this helps.

I get about 15 miles per honey bun!
Email   IP Logged
Phantom Rider
Five Star Member

Reply #2 - Apr 14th, 2016, 3:52pm

Patience and it will go away.   I can't explain it but after a couple hundred miles mine just disappeared.  Seems I recall Jayg have some high tech theory that really sounded good.  Just keep riding was what worked for me and several others told me the same thing.

2017 Cruzbike V20
2019 ICE VTX Black
SOLD - 2011 GT Karakorem 1.0 - 2012 Lightning Phantom II - 2004 Lightning P38 2013 Rans Rifle 2014 Catrike 700 - 2014 Bacchetta CA2
Email   IP Logged
reever

rbent member

Reply #3 - Apr 14th, 2016, 5:58pm

Thanks for the link jrob! That was really good.

Email   IP Logged
FlyingLaZBoy

'16 ICE SprintX fs,
'16 Rocket, '12 KHS
Mocha

Reply #4 - Apr 14th, 2016, 6:26pm

Watch your steering grip, and focus on keeping it light...  you may be unconsciously pulling/pushing a bit as you pedal.  I found that to be the case when I rode Ken's CTRoad a few years ago, and the same when I tried Bob M's 700 in March.

"A hundred miles on a bike? How many
days does that take you?"

Email FlyingLaZBoy   IP Logged
jrob_bent
Five Star Member

rbent member

Reply #5 - Apr 14th, 2016, 8:55pm

Hope it helps Reever. Are you considering building a velomobile?  

Quote from reever on Apr 14th, 2016, 5:58pm:
Thanks for the link jrob! That was really good.

I get about 15 miles per honey bun!
Email   IP Logged
reever

rbent member

Reply #6 - Apr 14th, 2016, 9:20pm

You know, I don't even notice it unless I try to put my head on the headrest. I wore a funky skateboarder helmet the other day and it was so heavy that I needed to use the headrest. WOW--I was rocking and rolling!

I don't think a velomobile is in my future jrob. I just got the trike so I could work out on sloppy/slippery days.

Email   IP Logged
Mdicke

rbent member

Reply #7 - Apr 14th, 2016, 9:38pm

I have a few hundred under my belt with the 700.  It is getting better but still there.  The whole headrest thing is quite irritating for me also.  I have found that the higher my rpm the more the wobble I pick up so I try to keep it in the mid 90s and turn the next higher gear.  Key mentioned exercise by pedaling with you feet in the air while keeping niuddle and upper body still.  The funny part is when I really put the coal to it I do not notice any wobble, but I have a tendency to pull myself up off of my shoulders when I do that

Rans F5
Catrike 700
Specialized Allez (DF)
  IP Logged
reever

rbent member

Reply #8 - Apr 15th, 2016, 9:42am

That is exactly my experience! I was told I was a "masher" and that I needed to pedal circles emphasizing my pulling, and keeping my RPM's up. The higher my RPM's, the worse it got. The only way I could lessen the wobble was to choose a gear that I would never use on one of my bikes--way too tough to maintain for hours on end.

Email   IP Logged
Dennis

rbent member

Reply #9 - Apr 16th, 2016, 12:06pm

Seeing as my current speed and distance are likely less than everyone here,  take this with a grain of salt.    

Even on my R54 recumbent with overseat steering I probably was a bit of a masher.   I'd pull on the handle bar at the same time I'm pushing with the leg.   I don't know if had any benefit or was just a hold over from the kind of motion a DF rider is doing in a stand up sprint.    Eventually the steering column of the R54 gave up on me.

On the road trike I noticed the pedal steer a lot on the first couple rides, but it quickly smoothed out.   I think learning that I don't need to be tugging on the under seat steering was important. Occasionally I "over-revved."   In those cases where I tried to increase RPM to much or wasn't in a gear that gave me some resistance my stroke was jerky and that showed in pedal steer.    

I can on occasion sprint (such as crossing a busy intersection) at 120-130 RPM and not notice pedal steer as long as I was still using that power to accelerate.     I'm not effecient enough to keep RPM going for any duration though.  I'm more typically in the 90-105 rpm range.   With only occasional intervals where I'm pushing into a sprint RPM.    When I'm thinking about it I usually call these calf sprints,  as they feel like they force a lot more calf muscle participation in the stroke.

circles, circles, little tiny circles
faster and faster they go
left-right, push-pull, lift-kick
faster and faster they go

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print