Welcome, Guest. Please Login.
rbent - Recumbent Bike Enthusiasts of North Texas
May 18th, 2024, 5:35pm
News: Want to join the rbent Forum? See this thread.
Home Help Search Login

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
By cracky! (Read 1281 times)
FlyingLaZBoy

'16 ICE SprintX fs,
'16 Rocket, '12 KHS
Mocha

By cracky!
Mar 14th, 2016, 2:16pm

Well, I've apparently pulled a Mark Leuck, and cracked the frame on the Rocket... it's on the bottom, behind the idler hanger.  Just happened to notice it when I had turned the bike over to work on the rear disc brake.  I contacted Jerrell, and he said they have had two Rifles with the same issue, but this is the first Rocket.  It's a natural high-tension-stress location, when the back wheel takes a jolt.

They have already changed the bike frame design to eliminate the welded-on idler hanger, eliminating the tube discontinuity and heatstress-related fracture point.  They've gone to a clamp-on style idler, and he assures me it can take the power-side vertical force and not rotate.

Interesting "polished metal" look to that frame, eh?  I'm investigating further.....   Smiley

Paul

"A hundred miles on a bike? How many
days does that take you?"

Email FlyingLaZBoy   IP Logged
johnnybent
Five Star Member

rbent member

Re: By cracky!
Reply #1 - Mar 14th, 2016, 9:08pm

One pot hole too many but a little JB and duct tape should do the job.

Email   IP Logged
Mdicke

rbent member

Reply #2 - Mar 14th, 2016, 9:38pm

Oooooo!  Aaaaaah!  shiny object!!! Smiley.  Màn on a sunny day that thing might be a danger to fellow riders

Sorry to hear about the crack.  Smiley

Rans F5
Catrike 700
Specialized Allez (DF)
  IP Logged
jayg
Five Star Member

rbent member

Reply #3 - Mar 14th, 2016, 10:38pm

Looks like there's a common theme between your bike's frame crack and those on Mark L's Baron's frame, Key L's 700's boom, and the 2010 Musashi frames: Cracks initiated in weld heat-affected zones that were subjected to high, repetitious loading. Catrike replaced all of the 2010 Musashi frames with new frames having larger gussets and no weld at the toe of one of the gussets where the previous cracks occurred.

« Last Edit: Mar 14th, 2016, 10:54pm by jayg »  
Email   IP Logged
FlyingLaZBoy

'16 ICE SprintX fs,
'16 Rocket, '12 KHS
Mocha

Reply #4 - Mar 16th, 2016, 3:08pm

Talked to Jerrell yesterday...  the couple of cracked frames they've had are all "XL" length, which would be more susceptible to the issue than a shorter frame -- both from being a longer "truss" and probably having larger, heavier riders.

When they first discovered it, he immediately did some load testing to failure -- and found that the location tended to fail at about 850 pounds.  He then tested a frame with no weld or discontinuity at that point, and went to 1000 pounds without even bending the frame.

So, they have since gone to the T-Cycle idler shown in the photo, eliminating the welded idler bracket.  T-Cycle has tested the idler on trikes with a much more severe chain angle and torque, with no problems.

The "polished bare metal" look is what he is going to send me on the replacement frame.  Not sure when they'll "officially" offer it, but he says its very promising so far.  I should have it in about 3-4 weeks.

"A hundred miles on a bike? How many
days does that take you?"

Email FlyingLaZBoy   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print