Welcome, Guest. Please Login.
rbent - Recumbent Bike Enthusiasts of North Texas
May 5th, 2024, 12:33am
News: Want to join the rbent Forum? See this thread.
Home Help Search Login

Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print
Metabikes Metaphysic Build (Read 12763 times)
jayg
Five Star Member

rbent member

Metabikes Metaphysic Build
Jan 26th, 2016, 9:43pm

Big shock when the FexEx guy pulled a Catrike box out of his truck, since RBR was supposed to have shipped me a Meta frameset.

Relieved when I found a Meta frameset in the box, instead of a Catrike Pocket (A Pocket's invoice was in the box).  Smiley   A few more components need to be ordered, before the box's contents can become a complete bike. More to come.

« Last Edit: Jan 27th, 2016, 3:30pm by jayg »  
Email   IP Logged
Phantom Rider
Five Star Member

Re: Metabikes Metaphysic Build
Reply #1 - Jan 28th, 2016, 12:13pm

carbon????????? i know dumb question right.

so when are you opening your own shop, everyone knows you have more bents on the floor than any shop in the metro mess!

2017 Cruzbike V20
2019 ICE VTX Black
SOLD - 2011 GT Karakorem 1.0 - 2012 Lightning Phantom II - 2004 Lightning P38 2013 Rans Rifle 2014 Catrike 700 - 2014 Bacchetta CA2
Email   IP Logged
jayg
Five Star Member

rbent member

Reply #2 - Jan 28th, 2016, 4:09pm

Quote from Phantom Rider on Jan 28th, 2016, 12:13pm:
carbon????????? i know dumb question right.

so when are you opening your own shop, everyone knows you have more bents on the floor than any shop in the metro mess!

No, not a dumb question. This one is going to be a weightweenied, aluminum-frame bike (Example: will have very light wheels w/ titanium skewers). Just couldn't justify the expense of the carbon frame model.

Joe, have I got a deal for you. I know by now you regret selling your Silvio 2.1. Well, it just so happens I have one that's available, because I need to clear some space in my garage for the Metaphysic.  Cheesy

Email   IP Logged
jayg
Five Star Member

rbent member

Reply #3 - Jan 30th, 2016, 9:13pm

Discovered a component fabrication error, while I was assembling the bike. The factory mis-drilled one of the fastener holes in the seat's bottom, resulting in the threaded seat stay ends not matching the locations of the holes in the seat back when I attached the seat bottom to the mounting plate on the frame. The dealer recommended slotting the mis-drilled hole. I may, instead, patch the hole with a fiberglass and aircraft-grade epoxy overlay, then drill a new hole in the proper location.

Hole on right is not in the proper location. Hole's horizontal center line should coincide with that of hole on the left.

Seat back holes for seat stay fasteners are offset about 1" from where they should be.

Email   IP Logged
MrWizard
Five Star Member

bonus mile sponge

Reply #4 - Jan 30th, 2016, 11:02pm

they didnt offer to replace the seat?  Smiley

Quote from jayg on Jan 30th, 2016, 9:13pm:
Discovered a component fabrication error, while I was assembling the bike. The factory mis-drilled one of the fastener holes in the seat's bottom, resulting in the threaded seat stay ends not matching the locations of the holes in the seat back when I attached the seat bottom to the mounting plate on the frame. The dealer recommended slotting the mis-drilled hole. I may, instead, patch the hole with a fiberglass and aircraft-grade epoxy overlay, then drill a new hole in the proper location.

http://i1021.photobucket.com/albums/af339/jayg_2010/DSC00776_zpslmnt1zoz.jpg

Hole on right is not in the proper location. Hole's horizontal center line should coincide with that of hole on the left.

http://i1021.photobucket.com/albums/af339/jayg_2010/DSC00777_zpslmb9ekb0.jpg

Seat back holes for seat stay fasteners are offset about 1" from where they should be.

Email   IP Logged
jayg
Five Star Member

rbent member

Reply #5 - Jan 31st, 2016, 1:07pm

No, but haven't asked them to, yet. The dealer initially offered to exchange the seat, if the "Medium" size he shipped didn't fit me. Some more issues have have surfaced. Need to identify all possible problems, before I contact the dealer again. One of these issues is an unusable derailleur hanger. It was irreparably damaged when it was installed in the factory. The worker just backed the mounting screw off and left the hanger loose, after he/she damaged it.  

Quote from MrWizard on Jan 30th, 2016, 11:02pm:

Email   IP Logged
MrWizard
Five Star Member

bonus mile sponge

Reply #6 - Feb 1st, 2016, 10:45am

nothing like a box full of slightly usable bike parts to keep you entertained.     I'm starting to wonder which part of asia this came from.  Wink   Given that they boxed it in a catrike box though It had to have come OUT of another box first.  

Quote from jayg on Jan 31st, 2016, 1:07pm:
No, but haven't asked them to, yet. The dealer initially offered to exchange the seat, if the "Medium" size he shipped didn't fit me. Some more issues have have surfaced. Need to identify all possible problems, before I contact the dealer again. One of these issues is an unusable derailleur hanger. It was irreparably damaged when it was installed in the factory. The worker just backed the mounting screw off and left the hanger loose, after he/she damaged it.  

Email   IP Logged
FlyingLaZBoy

'16 ICE SprintX fs,
'16 Rocket, '12 KHS
Mocha

Reply #7 - Feb 1st, 2016, 2:14pm

What ELSE have you got to do, right?   Smiley

"A hundred miles on a bike? How many
days does that take you?"

Email FlyingLaZBoy   IP Logged
jayg
Five Star Member

rbent member

Reply #8 - Feb 1st, 2016, 2:49pm

Quote from MrWizard on Feb 1st, 2016, 10:45am:
nothing like a box full of slightly usable bike parts to keep you entertained.     I'm starting to wonder which part of asia this came from.  Wink   Given that they boxed it in a catrike box though It had to have come OUT of another box first.

It was manufactured in Spain. I think there is only one more problem to deal with - the boom O.D. is 0.7 mm larger than the I.D. of the receiver, so it can't be inserted in the receiver without wedging the clamp screw housings with a plastic wedge. When the wedge is removed, it takes great force to move the boom. There's a glued-in-place 0.3 mm plastic liner inside the receiver. It's purpose is to prevent the boom finish from being marred when the boom's extension is adjusted. Would have to remove it in order for the boom to slide freely.

Email   IP Logged
jayg
Five Star Member

rbent member

Reply #9 - Feb 1st, 2016, 2:57pm

Quote from FlyingLaZBoy on Feb 1st, 2016, 2:14pm:
What ELSE have you got to do, right?   Smiley

Reading about, working on, and riding bikes consumes a lot of my time. I could paint my house, but that wouldn't be any fun. Being retired is all about having fun. Cheesy

Email   IP Logged
catroad254

rbent member

Reply #10 - Feb 1st, 2016, 9:28pm

I think you got one of the siesta bikes.

Email   IP Logged
jayg
Five Star Member

rbent member

Reply #11 - Feb 1st, 2016, 10:07pm

Quote from catroad254 on Feb 1st, 2016, 9:28pm:
I think you got one of the siesta bikes.

Yeah, a Friday siesta bike. Just discovered that the derailleur tab attachment screw hole was drilled a little off center.  

Email   IP Logged
jayg
Five Star Member

rbent member

Reply #12 - Feb 5th, 2016, 3:15pm

Quote from jayg on Feb 1st, 2016, 2:49pm:
Quote from MrWizard on Feb 1st, 2016, 10:45am:

It was manufactured in Spain. I think there is only one more problem to deal with - the boom O.D. is 0.7 mm larger than the I.D. of the receiver, so it can't be inserted in the receiver without wedging the clamp screw housings with a plastic wedge. When the wedge is removed, it takes great force to move the boom. There's a glued-in-place 0.3 mm plastic liner inside the receiver. It's purpose is to prevent the boom finish from being marred when the boom's extension is adjusted. Would have to remove it in order for the boom to slide freely.

Discovered there was actually 2 layers of 0.3 mm plastic liner inside the receiver. Removed one of the layers and the boom now fits the receiver. Regarding your Asia comment: You are correct. Production has been moved from Spain to Taiwan. Dealer has made manufacturer aware of problems I have experienced with my frameset.  

Email   IP Logged
jayg
Five Star Member

rbent member

Reply #13 - Feb 5th, 2016, 3:29pm

Dealer stepped up and offered to replace the frameset with another one. I decided not to take him up on his offer, because I think Mr. Dremel can correct the current problems (Will not have to cut as long a slot in the seat as I originally thought). All I need from the dealer is a derailleur hanger to replace the bent one that was included with the frameset. A new hanger is on its way to me, as I type this.  

Quote from jayg on Jan 31st, 2016, 1:07pm:

Email   IP Logged
jayg
Five Star Member

rbent member

Reply #14 - Feb 8th, 2016, 10:26am

Cut the fork's steerer tube off and installed the headset and fork, yesterday.  Already owned a tool to install the crown race on the steerer tube, but not one to set the star-fangled nut inside the steerer tube. Tool can't be purchased over-the-counter at an LBS, so I fabricated one on my trusty Atlas lathe out of aluminum and a 6 mm x 1.00 mm steel screw.  

Star-fangled nut is screwed onto tool, then hammered into fork's steerer tube. Tool sets nut at a depth of 15 mm and insures nut's threaded hole is in line with steerer tube's axis.

Installed star-fangled nut.

« Last Edit: Feb 8th, 2016, 10:30am by jayg »  
Email   IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print