Welcome, Guest. Please Login.
rbent - Recumbent Bike Enthusiasts of North Texas
May 16th, 2024, 12:54pm
News: Want to join the rbent Forum? See this thread.
Home Help Search Login

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Wanted to, but not going tubeless (Read 799 times)
Tiger_Mike

rbent member

Wanted to, but not going tubeless
Jul 20th, 2015, 10:25pm

Working on making the XStream my commuter bike continues. I'm having Colonels build me a new front wheel with a dyno hub, and I chose the WTB KOM 25 rim. It is a reasonably light weight and Aero looking rim, and I was happy to see that it is a full up UST spec rim. This means there's a rib on the floor of the rim adjacent to each bead groove that give the bead grooves a squar-ish profile. When a UST spec tire is installed it has a squarish profile bead on it that is locked in place by the little rib on the floor of the rim, and this lets you inflate the tire to higher pressures and not have a tube. So, I was all excited about this, until I went shopping for tires. As Greg mentioned, the Schwalbe One is available as a tubeless tire, but unfortunatly only in a 700 size tire, not the 26" that I need. Looks like nobody makes a tubeless ready road tire in anything close to a 35-559. There are plenty of 2 inch and wider mountain bike tires with knobbies, but no road tires. From doing some reading, any tire and wheel can be converted to tubeless. All you need is the valve, the right rim tape, and the sealant. But the kicker is that if the rim and tire are not both UST compliant, the max recommended inflation pressure is 35 psi. Any higher and you risk the tire getting blown off the rim. While that would be okay for a balloon bike, that isn't quite so good for a road tire. I've run across folks that say they've done this and are running at 45 and 50 psi with no problems. I might be willing to try this on a Saturday bike, but not my commuter. 6:30 in the evening and 110 deg f at the pavement, I want to have complete confidence my bike is going to get me home without drama.  

I hope somebody starts making 26" UST road tires pretty soon, I'd like to try this tubeless thing out! So, now you know what I know- I thought I'd share what I found on this. If any of y'all know different, please educate me!

P38
Rans XStream
Rans V2
Email   IP Logged
aikigreg

recumbent ninja

Re: Wanted to, but not going tubeless
Reply #1 - Jul 21st, 2015, 12:11pm

Stuff like this is why the recumbent industry is working so hard to go 700c.

I'm in it to Schwinn it.
Email   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print