Welcome, Guest. Please Login.
rbent - Recumbent Bike Enthusiasts of North Texas
Apr 29th, 2024, 7:18am
News: Want to join the rbent Forum? See this thread.
Home Help Search Login

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
BROKEN CHAIN! ARGH! (Read 1695 times)
esbee

rbent member

BROKEN CHAIN! ARGH!
Jul 9th, 2015, 8:34pm

the chain broke on my greenspeed anura trike---we can probably fix the broken link it but do not know which way it threads back onto the gears and teeth, or whatever those things are called. thanks for any advice in advance.
susan in paris Smiley

Susan In Paris (Texas, that is!)
Email WWW   IP Logged
Patti
Five Star Member

rbent member

Re: BROKEN CHAIN! ARGH!
Reply #1 - Jul 10th, 2015, 12:48pm

Susan the best thing might be to look online for photos of the Anura or email Greenspeed. If I lived closer I would come up and give you a hand. Also, getting one of these will help get your chain back together much faster:  http://www.amazon.com/SRAM-Powerlink-Bicycle-Chain-Connector/dp/B000VSY9WQ
These are usually available in any bike shop.  

Most important, though, is to first find out why the chain broke, so the problem gets corrected and it doesn't happen again.

Sorry I don't live closer. I'd drive up and give you a hand but am dealing with funeral things this weekend.

« Last Edit: Jul 10th, 2015, 12:50pm by Patti »  
  IP Logged
esbee

rbent member

Reply #2 - Jul 10th, 2015, 4:15pm

thanks so much for your suggestions and offer to help...I did go to the Greenspeed website and looked at how on was set up, but it did need a complete new chain.  so we packed it off today to Texoma Bikes in Sherman and they put a new chain on right there and then. They will be ordering new tires for the trike and we will be bringing them the other trike that needs some work on it. They were putting together a Sun tadpole trike while I was there so I got to see what one of those looked like, even partly finished.  Looks like a nice entry level tad, seemed light weight when i picked up the rear end.  

Susan in Paris Smiley

Susan In Paris (Texas, that is!)
Email WWW   IP Logged
Monkeywrangler22
Five Star Member

rbent member

Reply #3 - Jul 11th, 2015, 7:07am

Glad you got it fixed. Pat 'n Charlie are great folks!  We take our wheel-work up to them.  They build outstanding wheels!

The Monkeywrangler's blog
Schlitter Encore
Fisher HKEK - Spec. Roubaix
Seavo - Serenity
Email   IP Logged
Tiger_Mike

rbent member

Reply #4 - Jul 18th, 2015, 10:33pm

Last week while commuting, I noticed the drivetrain was getting pretty noisy on the XStream even though I had just cleaned and lubed the chain. I checked it with the Park Tool gizmo, and sure enough it checked right at .75, which seemed kind of marginal for replacement I thought. So I counted the links (270), and ordered the chain. I layed the old and new chains out on the floor in the garage and matched them link by link, shifting one of them a little bit every couple of feet until I got to the other end- I wanted to make sure I removed exactly the right pin to remove the excess on the new chain. I was surprised to see that the old chain had stretched a little more than the length on one link. That seemed unreasonable until I thought about it a little. If there's just a little more than .001 wear at each of the pins, that would make the chain get a half inch longer over all. I'll take it out for a test ride tomorrow, but I'm already expecting a quiet ride.

P38
Rans XStream
Rans V2
Email   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print