Welcome, Guest. Please Login.
rbent - Recumbent Bike Enthusiasts of North Texas
Apr 29th, 2024, 12:55am
News: Want to join the rbent Forum? See this thread.
Home Help Search Login

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
darn dog and darn owners! (Read 4304 times)
esbee

rbent member

darn dog and darn owners!
Jun 19th, 2015, 9:25am

got a new doggie trailer and Maisie loves it.  Since there is a learning curve for both of us we went around the block a few times where there is no traffic (2.5 miles for this and the other day) which until recently has been a very quiet neighborhood. Now the idiots down the street think it is ok to let their aggressive dog out. And she came after me and I know the owners were inside ---teen boys giggling at the old lady screaming at the top of her lungs "GET BACK GET BACK GET BACK!"  because I saw the dog looking back, wagging her tail obviously reacting to their words...yes we did call the police to file a report and the neighbors told me she had come down the road and was aggressive towards them.  GRRRRR!   Smiley

Susan In Paris (Texas, that is!)
Email WWW   IP Logged
Action Lad
Five Star Member

rbent member

Re: darn dog and darn owners!
Reply #1 - Jun 19th, 2015, 4:13pm

Quote from esbee on Jun 19th, 2015, 9:25am:
got a new doggie trailer and Maisie loves it.  Since there is a learning curve for both of us we went around the block a few times where there is no traffic (2.5 miles for this and the other day) which until recently has been a very quiet neighborhood. Now the idiots down the street think it is ok to let their aggressive dog out. And she came after me and I know the owners were inside ---teen boys giggling at the old lady screaming at the top of her lungs "GET BACK GET BACK GET BACK!"  because I saw the dog looking back, wagging her tail obviously reacting to their words...yes we did call the police to file a report and the neighbors told me she had come down the road and was aggressive towards them.  GRRRRR!   Smiley

...which is exactly the reason I don't ride through some neighborhoods anymore, expecially in the country.  I have called the police, and it takes moving Heaven and Earth to get them to do anything against the offending owners...especially in the unincorporated areas.  Sheesh!  
I had taken to carrying a Gamo air pistol with me on my rides--used it, too!  Really gives a sting without sending Spike to his maker.  Smiley When those areas were too short a distance to ride anyway, I just stayed on in-town roads.  Now I have to deal with people in cars who act like animals, but there is more leverage with the cameras rolling.  It's like you choose your misery as a cyclist.  
All that to say you're not alone, Sister.  May a real solution of peace be in the offing for you.  

"You can't see paradise if you don't pedal!"
T.J. Fowler -- Chicken Run
  IP Logged
FlyingLaZBoy

'16 ICE SprintX fs,
'16 Rocket, '12 KHS
Mocha

Reply #2 - Jun 20th, 2015, 2:55pm

Diluted ammonia in a water bottle, ready to squirt --  just don't drink out of it by mistake!      Smiley    Shocked

"A hundred miles on a bike? How many
days does that take you?"

Email FlyingLaZBoy   IP Logged
MrWizard
Five Star Member

bonus mile sponge

Reply #3 - Jun 21st, 2015, 5:06am

Usually a close range blast with an Airzound will cause a quick doggie u-turn.

Followed by  a blast with the alcohol based sunscreen spray for the truly stubborn, just wish it could be used on the owner instead ..  

Quote from FlyingLaZBoy on Jun 20th, 2015, 2:55pm:
Diluted ammonia in a water bottle, ready to squirt --  just don't drink out of it by mistake! Smiley    Shocked

Email   IP Logged
jhbell62

rbent member

Reply #4 - Jun 21st, 2015, 10:49am

Yep after my last encounter with the pit bull I started bring HALT and have it attached next to my right hand on my trike.  On an up note I got in 148.5 miles the last 7 days on my 4 rides...today's 35 had a few showers to slow things down due to the water slick trail in sections. Great rides this weekend with the clouds keeping things cool.

Greenspeed Magnum
Sun EZ3 USX HD
Email   IP Logged
Dennis

rbent member

Reply #5 - Jun 21st, 2015, 12:38pm

SABRE Dog Spay

I've had success with the low strength pepper spray product I tried to link above.  I have no desire to hurt animals. But there is still the occasional dog (or pack) that remains aggressive after the prior steps of shouting  "Bad Dog!... Go Home!" multiple times, and reinforcing that with the air horn.    Since getting the trike I'd had one dog tear a hole in the saddle bags, and not stop trying to attack until I risked a forearm to smack it on the head.

Even though I missed the face the dogs I used this spray against retreated.   I was kind of hoping to go the same direction again and see if they particular dogs would remember it without having to use again but weather and work have conspired against that.

Even if a dog is not aggressive,  please discourage them from chasing you.   Not only will other riders potentially benefit, but you may save a life.   Dogs on the chase get narrow focus;  the little dog that was probably not going to hurt me suddenly darted across traffic to let out one last yap as a Buick smacked it.   Riders watching for dogs get narrow focus;   the large dog was heading from its porch toward the road and was easily going to intercept me,   I instinctively moved away from the side of the road only to be surprised by the blast of wind as an 18 wheeler whipped past me in space I was drifting toward.

IP Logged
esbee

rbent member

Re: darn dog and darn owners! part dog doo!
Reply #6 - Aug 13th, 2015, 7:52pm

GRRR! I HATE PEOPLE AND THEIR DOGS! waiting on the sheriff to make a report...hubby and I riding around the block, finally getting him back on the trike, no dog, but 2nd time around, she was out, I am sure the  teens, one a former student, let her out to come after me...she is aggressive and I have called to report her before! This is not the first time they let the dog come out to chase me.  I am about ready to get a lawyer! Smiley

susan in paris  3.58 MILES

Email WWW   IP Logged
esbee

rbent member

Reply #7 - Aug 13th, 2015, 9:08pm

•      Here is the skinny on the aggressive dog…she was wandering the street and nearly in my yard as the sheriff pulled into my driveway.  He  went and talked to the actual owner of the dog who is the son of the man who owns the property. He now has his official  warning and the next is a citation then having to get 10,000 insurance on this dog.

The dog owner asked, "is there any other place they can ride their trikes?"   Smiley

The officer suggested we buy pepper spray, which we are going to do but I sure hope the dog owner gets the message.  
susan in paris

Email WWW   IP Logged
jcsadowski
Five Star Member

Clown #1

Reply #8 - Aug 14th, 2015, 9:14am

Dogs do remember. Hold out your hand like you had a can of spray in it and 'usually' they will back off.

Kenny used wasp spray, it has a 10 foot range, very effective.

2009 Carbon fiber CA 2.0
2014 Schlitter Encore
Email WWW   IP Logged
Bud_Bent

Reply #9 - Aug 15th, 2015, 5:45am

I carry a spray bottle that fits a bottle cage, filled with full strength ammonia, adjusted to spray a stream rather than a mist. Very inexpensive and it works well. Just one time of being sprayed will teach most dogs, but there are a few that never learn.

Bud
* 2009 RANS F-5 Pro
* 2009 RANS XStream
* 2004 RANS Screamer
My Blog - uneasy-rider.com
WWW   IP Logged
Action Lad
Five Star Member

rbent member

Reply #10 - Aug 15th, 2015, 3:35pm

Quote from Bud_Bent on Aug 15th, 2015, 5:45am:
I carry a spray bottle that fits a bottle cage, filled with full strength ammonia, adjusted to spray a stream rather than a mist. Very inexpensive and it works well. Just one time of being sprayed will teach most dogs, but there are a few that never learn.

Well, Mr. Bud, I have heard many solutions to the dog issue, none seem to rival my straight-to-the-point Gamo pistol.  Very effective, but I do worry about the odd occasion when an owner is at the ready with a shot gun in response.  Ammonia is an ages old solution I used to use in garbage bags set out for the trash truck.  A strong ammonia shot to the face seems it would really do the trick.   Smiley  

"You can't see paradise if you don't pedal!"
T.J. Fowler -- Chicken Run
  IP Logged
esbee

rbent member

around the block
Reply #11 - Aug 20th, 2015, 10:54am

around the block-it rained yesterday and is cooler today  2.57 miles  ---hubby went 8/10  mile.  
susan in paris

Email WWW   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print