Welcome, Guest. Please Login.
rbent - Recumbent Bike Enthusiasts of North Texas
May 1st, 2024, 10:58pm
News: Want to join the rbent Forum? See this thread.
Home Help Search Login

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Thule or Hollywood Hitch Mount Bike Rack? (Read 773 times)
Tiger_Mike

rbent member

Thule or Hollywood Hitch Mount Bike Rack?
May 27th, 2015, 8:44pm

I'm shopping for a hitch mount platform style bike rack, and thought I'd poll the experts. I've got some weirdo questions to throw out, thought one of you might have personal experience to answer some of the questions. And of course, if you know of a way awesomer rack I should consider, please let me know! but please don't tell me all about a rack that isn't being made anymore...

1. Thule 916XTR. My P38 will fit on this rack , but normally you ratchet the arm down on the front tire (for a DF anyway). For something like a P38, do you use the front tire, or the rear?
2. Is the Thule 916XTR have enough room between the bikes to do two recumbents with wide seats (rans standard mesh or lightning mesh)?
3. How about the Thule Doubletrack, spacing for two wide seat bents? This one secures the bikes by the frame, so not sure how much adjustability there is there.  
4. Thinking about the 916XTR again, if you wanted to use it on a bike with fenders, could you turn the wheel cup around the other way, and then snug the ratchet arm down onto the frame instead of the tire?  
5. Also looking at the Hollywood Sportrider 2 SE for recumbents. This one looks good from many aspects, but I'm not sure about securing the bike by the frame. Anybody with any personal experience on that?  

At the big buck end of the spectrum, the Kuat NV also looks pretty good, and it will do the wheelbase of the P38. Anybody use the Kuat with a bent?

As you can probably tell, I'm already leaning toward the Thule 916XTR...Looks like I could get the P38 and Townie on it with no issues, but I'm also thinking about if it would be reasonable to mod it to fit the fendered V2 also. I could extend the length easily enough to handle the longer wheelbase, I'm just not sure how to secure the bike with fenders.  

So, what do you experts have to say?

P38
Rans XStream
Rans V2
Email   IP Logged
GBRAD

rbent member

Re: Thule or Hollywood Hitch Mount Bike Rack?
Reply #1 - May 28th, 2015, 11:04am

I have the Hollywood and I really like it.  It tightens into the hitch receiver so that it doesn't rattle or tilt while driving.  I wrap the section of my bike frame with a thin piece of foam or a towel prior to tightening the frame locks.  It has the capacity to handle many of the longer recumbent frames, unlike the Kuat.  I looked at the Kuat, but the wheelbase maximum is 48".  The Hollywood will go over 60".  I do not have any experience with the Thule, but definitely check on the wheelbase maximum prior to buying.  Most will not handle a recumbent.

Email   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print