Welcome, Guest. Please Login.
rbent - Recumbent Bike Enthusiasts of North Texas
Apr 29th, 2024, 1:46pm
News: Want to join the rbent Forum? See this thread.
Home Help Search Login

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Big wheel topic setteled for me (Read 827 times)
JimFPU
Five Star Member

RBENT member, now in
Virginia.  I miss
Texas!

Big wheel topic setteled for me
Apr 26th, 2015, 3:56am

So yesterday I took the 20 off the back of one of the Roads and placed it on the 700 (sacrilege I know, but bear with me).  I only rode it up and around the corner just to see what I felt like.  It reminded me of being down on the ole Speed!  Laying way back and feeling comfortable.  Anyway, got it going and noticed right off that I was topped out in gears.  I turned around and could take off in the highest gear in the back (11 I believe).  I most likely could not do this with the 700 wheel.  

Now I understand all the technical 'facts' about the big wheel vs. small wheel, but what does it FEEL like TO ME?  Well now I know.  With that 20 in the back, I could easily spin out and would have had to use the big gear up front, if I was out on a longer ride.  I also know it changes the geometry of the whole trike and Catrike says not to do all that...yada, yada.  But I had to know and now I do.  Funny thing was I kinda liked the feel of it...but I was only on a very flat road for a short time.  I suspect some of the hills that slow me down when climbing, would not be so tiring to climb- but would also not be as fast coming back down...so for me the difference in the FEEL of the trike with a small wheel, might be something I do when I'm out on a family ride...then I wouldn't always be holding back.  It really didn't seem to affect handling much at all.  

It also let me know that if I continue to work out with the 700 wheel, I'll be stronger and faster in the long run.

'13 Bluevelo carbon Quest QB 74 - The Flaming Eyeball
'12 ICE Sprint X 26

YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC_cUvLNb9JJ6UAQkw7KYDQw

Store: https://flaming-eyeball-graphics.square.site
WWW   IP Logged
AustinSkater

Re: Big wheel topic setteled for me
Reply #1 - Apr 26th, 2015, 3:24pm

Now you know one of the things that a lot of UpWrongs never learn.  They tend to freak when they find I'm pushing a 56x11 gearing, but they don't take into account that I'm only on 650s (and I don't bother pointing that out)  Smiley

« Last Edit: Apr 26th, 2015, 3:24pm by AustinSkater »  

Bryan
---------------------------
Shellene's is yellow, mine is too.
  IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print