Welcome, Guest. Please Login.
rbent - Recumbent Bike Enthusiasts of North Texas
May 6th, 2024, 6:02pm
News: Want to join the rbent Forum? See this thread.
Home Help Search Login

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Presta valve hate (Read 2464 times)
Mizta_Nice

rbent member

Presta valve hate
Mar 16th, 2015, 6:13am

I'm riding on 650's, and I'm wondering if I can get some with Schraeder valves instead of Presta valve stems. Is there a good reason to keep the Presta valve? All the other bikes at our house have Schraeder stems and my dual head floor pump doesn't work well with the other style.

"Slow and steady wins the race" is what all us slow and steady people say when we don't win the race.
WWW   IP Logged
FlyingLaZBoy

'16 ICE SprintX fs,
'16 Rocket, '12 KHS
Mocha

Re: Presta valve hate
Reply #1 - Mar 16th, 2015, 9:04am

It's just a matter of drilling out the rim to fit the Schraeder...  assuming you can get tubes... ???

However, this article at BikeTiresDirect makes a good point about the rim...

Valve Types—Presta and Schrader

There are two standard valve types used for bicycle tubes. These are called Presta and Schrader (sometimes spelled Schraeder or Shrader). You might recognize Schrader valves from your car's tires, as this is the type used for automobile tires; they're also commonly found on lower-priced bicycles in the United States. Presta valves are commonly used on bicycles sold in Europe and on high-end bicycles everywhere.

Presta valves are lighter and more aerodynamic than Schrader valves. Their narrower profile also allows them to fit more easily inside the narrow rims found on road bikes. Since Presta valves can be locked closed, they are more resistant to leaking than Schrader valves when tires are pumped up to high pressures. For these reasons, they're used on all tubular (sew-up) tires, and, as we mentioned, they are used with high-performance bicycles everywhere.

Presta valves do have a couple of disadvantages. Since the valve release is exposed, it's easier to knock it as you remove the pump head, releasing pressure from the tube. Presta valve stems are also slightly more fragile than Schrader stems.
Overall, we strongly prefer Presta valve tubes and recommend them exclusively, though we do sell some Schrader tubes as well. Presta tubes can be used as replacements for both Presta and Schrader tubes (see below), and they work better with most bicycle pumps and inflators.

« Last Edit: Mar 16th, 2015, 9:07am by FlyingLaZBoy »  

"A hundred miles on a bike? How many
days does that take you?"

Email FlyingLaZBoy   IP Logged
Bud_Bent

Reply #2 - Mar 17th, 2015, 8:09am

I would go the other way and change all your schraeder rims to presta with these rim adapters.

Bud
* 2009 RANS F-5 Pro
* 2009 RANS XStream
* 2004 RANS Screamer
My Blog - uneasy-rider.com
WWW   IP Logged
Dennis

rbent member

Reply #3 - Mar 17th, 2015, 5:25pm

Hmm my kit used to have an adapter that made it so you could use a schrader style pump with the presta valve stems.    Seemed like it worked, but haven't used it in so long that I'd doubt its o-ring was good even if I did find it.

IP Logged
Mizta_Nice

rbent member

Reply #4 - Mar 18th, 2015, 4:12am

I have a pump that works on both types, but on the Presta valves it's a bit difficult. I usually end up letting all of the air out, then finally getting it right and pumping the tire back up to full inflation.  

I'll probably leave it as is, I just needed to vent.

"Slow and steady wins the race" is what all us slow and steady people say when we don't win the race.
WWW   IP Logged
johnnybent
Five Star Member

rbent member

Reply #5 - Mar 18th, 2015, 10:34am

I've had a couple of pumps with problems at times. One just would not hold the stem in place as I pumped. It had a head with the two types on the same side or direction. The one I use now has the heads on opposite sides with a racket lever holding the stem in place. You can get replacement heads at most bike shops.  When I fill my tires each ride I unscrew the valve then push the valve down a couple of times to free it up a bit. After I'm finished I screw the valve back down.  Fortunely  you have not learned new words after you have flated and have broken off the valve trying to get the Co2 or hand pump off.  But that's another chapter.

« Last Edit: Mar 18th, 2015, 10:37am by johnnybent »  
Email   IP Logged
rmillay
Five Star Member

rbent member; go
Clowns!

Reply #6 - Mar 18th, 2015, 1:28pm

My current Serfas pump has the one-size-fits-all head, and it works fairly well, though it sometimes pops off at pressure.  I guess that's better than it not coming off when you pull it.  When it pops off, cleaning it usually helps.  Pumps don't last forever without maintenance, just like our bikes.  I don't like it, but there it is.  The only other thing about the Serfas is the tightening lever likes to snap down on your finger when you release it.  The shop warned me about that when I bought it.  Hasn't kept me from getting whacked several times, though.   Smiley

Catrike 700
RANS Formula LE , sold
Catrike Musashi
Catrike Speed
Catrike Speed, sold back

"It [Nissan Titan] wasn't named truck of the year because it wasn't the best!" Clay Cooley in his TV a
Email   IP Logged
FlyingLaZBoy

'16 ICE SprintX fs,
'16 Rocket, '12 KHS
Mocha

Reply #7 - Mar 20th, 2015, 12:05pm

Quote from rmillay on Mar 18th, 2015, 1:28pm:
The only other thing about the Serfas is the tightening lever likes to snap down on your finger when you release it.  The shop warned me about that when I bought it.  Hasn't kept me from getting whacked several times, though.   Smiley

<LIKE> button       Cool

"A hundred miles on a bike? How many
days does that take you?"

Email FlyingLaZBoy   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print