Welcome, Guest. Please Login.
rbent - Recumbent Bike Enthusiasts of North Texas
May 19th, 2024, 5:13am
News: Want to join the rbent Forum? See this thread.
Home Help Search Login

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
using a boating safety light on the rear (Read 1411 times)
professor

rbent member

using a boating safety light on the rear
May 25th, 2014, 2:40pm

Been a while since I was doing much distance riding and where I am is very hilly and the traffic is 70-80 mph much of the time. The speed limit is 70, but because the next town is 16 miles away and I'm between it and San Antonio, the traffic going toward SA is often at 80 when it passes my street.  

I've sailed a fair amount and many sailors use a rescue light attached to their PFDs that is meant to help locate them when overboard. They are very bright and flash and I'm wondering if anyone has used one on the back of their trike/bike as a rear warning light? Wanting to let these guys know as far back as possible that I am in front of them (with decent shoulder much of the time).

« Last Edit: May 28th, 2014, 9:40am by professor »  
  IP Logged
Monkeywrangler22
Five Star Member

rbent member

Re: using a boating safer light on the rear
Reply #1 - May 25th, 2014, 4:52pm

I have used similar strobe lights on a car when stopped to change a tire.  But I think you would be better served with a Dinotte red tail light.  Expensive, but you truly can see it from a measured mile away...even the older 140R version.

The Monkeywrangler's blog
Schlitter Encore
Fisher HKEK - Spec. Roubaix
Seavo - Serenity
Email   IP Logged
Action Lad
Five Star Member

rbent member

Re: using a boating safer light on the rear
Reply #2 - Jun 15th, 2014, 9:44pm

Quote from Monkeywrangler22 on May 25th, 2014, 4:52pm:
I have used similar strobe lights on a car when stopped to change a tire.  But I think you would be better served with a Dinotte red tail light.  Expensive, but you truly can see it from a measured mile away...even the older 140R version.

Also, a few years into my owning one, I can testify to their bulletproof quality.  Smiley

"You can't see paradise if you don't pedal!"
T.J. Fowler -- Chicken Run
  IP Logged
Sspoonless

Catrike Expedition
& Terratrike
Tour 2

Re: using a boating safety light on the rear
Reply #3 - Mar 20th, 2015, 9:36pm

Smiley  Check out a whip light as a replacement pole for your safety/visibility flag. For example at ArizonaWhips.com.  I got the "Scrambler" model that is about 6 feet tall mounted near my axle and carries 2 hi-viz pennants at the top.  It has red LEDs always lit facing the rear, and more red LEDs facing front that flash in an up/down motion.  In dim light or darkness the effect is dramatic.

Sspoonless
  IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print