Welcome, Guest. Please Login.
rbent - Recumbent Bike Enthusiasts of North Texas
May 6th, 2024, 1:49pm
News: Want to join the rbent Forum? See this thread.
Home Help Search Login

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Adding gears to the 700 (Read 1343 times)
rmillay
Five Star Member

rbent member; go
Clowns!

Adding gears to the 700
Feb 15th, 2015, 8:21pm

I started disassembly of the 700 to change it over to a 10-speed cassette.  I've lost my cable cutter, but I may not need it, the old ones are still slick.  I "fixed" the upper guide tube.  The idler still spins, but the bearings are rough, so I will order another one.  I removed the cassette from the rear wheel and cleaned and checked it, and found the bearings are rough in it, too.  Back to considering a new wheel.  I put the new cassette on it and weighed it with my hand scale.  It might have lost 20 grams, plus or minus 20.  I gave the frame a sponge bath and washed off a half pound of dirt and sand.  Preliminary reassembly starts tomorrow.

Catrike 700
RANS Formula LE , sold
Catrike Musashi
Catrike Speed
Catrike Speed, sold back

"It [Nissan Titan] wasn't named truck of the year because it wasn't the best!" Clay Cooley in his TV a
Email   IP Logged
Action Lad
Five Star Member

rbent member

Re: Adding gears to the 700
Reply #1 - Feb 16th, 2015, 3:06am

Quote from rmillay on Feb 15th, 2015, 8:21pm:
I started disassembly of the 700 to change it over to a 10-speed cassette.  I've lost my cable cutter, but I may not need it, the old ones are still slick.  I "fixed" the upper guide tube.  The idler still spins, but the bearings are rough, so I will order another one.  I removed the cassette from the rear wheel and cleaned and checked it, and found the bearings are rough in it, too.  Back to considering a new wheel.  I put the new cassette on it and weighed it with my hand scale.  It might have lost 20 grams, plus or minus 20.  I gave the frame a sponge bath and washed off a half pound of dirt and sand.  Preliminary reassembly starts tomorrow.

Interesting work, Bob.  I hear the distant call of a ten speed cassette as well.  The call is from the future, (which is actually the present), and it's bidding me to join it.

"You can't see paradise if you don't pedal!"
T.J. Fowler -- Chicken Run
  IP Logged
rmillay
Five Star Member

rbent member; go
Clowns!

Reply #2 - Feb 16th, 2015, 7:26pm

OK, now the frame is clean(er), the parts are buggered with and strewn around the room, and the tools are here (after three trips tom the workshop), it's time to see if I can make this stuff work.  First the idler/ chain plumbing assembly goes on while the trike is tipped over.  Then the wheel assembly.  Next, the new rear derailleur screws onto the hanger with its captive screw.  I checked the hanger bolt and tightened it, as it was loose.  The Lego-esque instructions showed adjustment for the space between the jockey pulley and the small and big cogs, which had to be compromised.   Also, the high and low limit screws can be adjusted approximately.  
Now, if you are contemplating such a project, it's time to mount the trike on your workstand, in order to have everything in the easiest position to work.  HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA!  You don't have a workstand that will mount a trike, do you?  BikeMart doesn't have a workstand that works for a trike.  If there is one, only Doug could afford it.  But if you don't mind working on the floor, you can mount the trike in your trainer, so it stays in one place, but you can move the rear wheel at will.  
Now mount the base of the shifter.  The shift assembly of the Shimano bar-end has a slotted screw you remove so that the parts drop out onto the floor.  You then access the screw inside the base with a hex key and screw it in to loosen it and pull it out.  The SRAM shifter is held onby a hex recess screw and comes off in one piece.  Its base also tightens with a hex key, but you tighten it by screwing it in.  If you fray the end of the cable at all you won't get it in.  I recommend threading it through the shifter head before attaching it, then through the hole in the base, then into the retracted end of the cable housing before repositioning it.  Then you can pull everything together, with the shifter in the furthest forward position.  The cable threads through the barrel adjuster, around a groove, and under a washer held with a screw.  Fasten it down holding minimal tension on the cable.  The derailleur is in its small cog position, and pulling the shifter back through its detents pulls the cable back and the derailleur pulleys go up the cogs.
(Cont.)

Catrike 700
RANS Formula LE , sold
Catrike Musashi
Catrike Speed
Catrike Speed, sold back

"It [Nissan Titan] wasn't named truck of the year because it wasn't the best!" Clay Cooley in his TV a
Email   IP Logged
rmillay
Five Star Member

rbent member; go
Clowns!

Reply #3 - Feb 16th, 2015, 8:13pm

I'm a believer in replacing a chain by breaking the old one and attaching the new one to one end and pulling it through with the old chain, but thats not possible here.  I made a drawing of the drive train beforehand, just in case.  It made me pay attention to the details of the route, so that I didn't actually need to refer to it.

In a large room which has been recently vacuumed, lay out your old chain, then lay the new chain next to it.  I decided to use the KMX XX chain from TerraCycle, instead of the X chain from Bacchetta, which meant I had to trim a few links off the new chain, using the old chain as a template.  Since the highest and lowest gears will remain the same, the length can remain the same.  On the 700, the chain goes through the tubing more easily from the front, and it can be run over the cassette if you don't have the trike on the trainer.  Thread it carefully through the guides and pulleys, picking the leaves and wads of cat hair off as you encounter them.  Now it's time to let go of both ends of the chain and watch it unwind because you forgot to have something to tie the ends together while you insert the quick link.  If you have kids (or grandkids), you probably have some of those plastic covered wires the Chinese use to tie the toys they sell us securely to the consumer-resistant packaging.  I use them to tie the ends of the chain together with some slack to make putting in the connecting link easier.

Now the shifting can be tested and adjusted.  My trike seems to shift pretty well, and I'll be dialing it in next time we get a chance to ride.  If the bridges don't ice up, I'll see you Clowns tomorrow.

Catrike 700
RANS Formula LE , sold
Catrike Musashi
Catrike Speed
Catrike Speed, sold back

Email   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print