Welcome, Guest. Please Login.
rbent - Recumbent Bike Enthusiasts of North Texas
May 19th, 2024, 4:59am
News: Want to join the rbent Forum? See this thread.
Home Help Search Login

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Catrike Axle Retention Assembly (Read 5472 times)
jayg
Five Star Member

rbent member

Catrike Axle Retention Assembly
Feb 7th, 2015, 5:34pm

While my Catrike Speed was on loan, the left axle retention assembly fell completely off the trike, and was lost. Apparently, I didn't tension the skewer tightly enough when I installed custom wheels on the trike several months ago. Could have spent about 15 minutes ordering parts from Catrike, but decided to replace them the hard way by fabricating them myself. Had to cut a bike's rear wheel skewer to length and re-thread the end, because the length of a Catrike skewer is in between those of a bike's front and rear skewer. Machined the inner and outer axle retainers from aluminum bar stock on my lathe.  

« Last Edit: Feb 7th, 2015, 7:56pm by jayg »  
Email   IP Logged
Sweeper

rbent member

Re: Catrike Axle Retention Assembly
Reply #1 - Feb 8th, 2015, 1:20pm

Looks Great..Good job

Email   IP Logged
Mdicke

rbent member

Reply #2 - Feb 8th, 2015, 5:57pm

Looks good!  Some times its worth the time and effort just to get the satisfaction of knowing and saying "I did that."

Rans F5
Catrike 700
Specialized Allez (DF)
  IP Logged
jayg
Five Star Member

rbent member

Reply #3 - Feb 8th, 2015, 8:30pm

Thanks guys. I get a certain satisfaction from stripping curly strings of metal off bar stock.  Smiley

Email   IP Logged
WhiteRocker

rbent member

Reply #4 - Feb 9th, 2015, 9:02am

Interesting. I had the exact same thing happen on my Expedition. Completely lost the left axle assembly somewhere around WRL. I wonder if this is a common problem? (I noticed Catrike conveniently sells the assembly online.) If it's not completely tight, I guess the assembly could simply unscrew itself while rolling. I now check that tightness regularly!

2019 ICE VTX Black
Bacchetta Giro 26/700ATT
  IP Logged
jayg
Five Star Member

rbent member

Reply #5 - Feb 9th, 2015, 10:01am

Quote from WhiteRocker on Feb 9th, 2015, 9:02am:
Interesting. I had the exact same thing happen on my Expedition. Completely lost the left axle assembly somewhere around WRL. I wonder if this is a common problem? (I noticed Catrike conveniently sells the assembly online.) If it's not completely tight, I guess the assembly could simply unscrew itself while rolling. I now check that tightness regularly!

Gary, the left side outer axle retainer is right-hand threaded. So, my first thought was that the hub perhaps occasionally contacts it, eventually unscrewing it. Closely examined both my trike's stock and custom wheels and found that there is no contact between the hub and retainer. Guess vibration eventually loosens it, if the skewer is not tensioned tightly.

Email   IP Logged
rmillay
Five Star Member

rbent member; go
Clowns!

Reply #6 - Feb 9th, 2015, 8:46pm

I've had the R.H. skewer come loose on my 700.  The trike felt sluggish, but I put it down to tired legs.  I noticed it by chance, and retightening it gained me more speed.  If you're used to your trike, pay attention to its feel.  Now I check the skewers regularly.

Catrike 700
RANS Formula LE , sold
Catrike Musashi
Catrike Speed
Catrike Speed, sold back

"It [Nissan Titan] wasn't named truck of the year because it wasn't the best!" Clay Cooley in his TV a
Email   IP Logged
jayg
Five Star Member

rbent member

Reply #7 - Feb 9th, 2015, 9:56pm

Quote from rmillay on Feb 9th, 2015, 8:46pm:
I've had the R.H. skewer come loose on my 700.  The trike felt sluggish, but I put it down to tired legs.  I noticed it by chance, and retightening it gained me more speed.  If you're used to your trike, pay attention to its feel.  Now I check the skewers regularly.

On older Catrikes the axles are usually locked in place in the spindles, due to rust, so a rider isn't going to be stranded if a skewer happens to fall out. The hub shifts and the brake disk rubs on one or the other brake pads, if a skewer falls out or loosens, resulting in the sluggishness Bob mentions above.

Email   IP Logged
Patti
Five Star Member

rbent member

Reply #8 - Feb 9th, 2015, 10:13pm

I had my left side skewer come loose a couple of times. It made my disc start "singing" on turns. I didn't realize, at first, what was causing the sound but I kept stopping and finally found the problem The second time it happened, it was the first thing I checked. Tightened it down better and it has not had another incident.

IP Logged
Monkeywrangler22
Five Star Member

rbent member

Reply #9 - Feb 10th, 2015, 6:08am

I've found a little blob of plumbers putty works well applied to threads (in this case on the skewer threads beyond the retainer nut) to prevent a nut from backing all the way off the threads.  It does not harden, so you can remove the nut if you want to, but generally keeps the thing from falling off the threads.  Way cheaper than buying loctite too.

The Monkeywrangler's blog
Schlitter Encore
Fisher HKEK - Spec. Roubaix
Seavo - Serenity
Email   IP Logged
rmillay
Five Star Member

rbent member; go
Clowns!

Reply #10 - Feb 10th, 2015, 7:08pm

Quote from Monkeywrangler22 on Feb 10th, 2015, 6:08am:
 Way cheaper than buying loctite too.

???!

Catrike 700
RANS Formula LE , sold
Catrike Musashi
Catrike Speed
Catrike Speed, sold back

"It [Nissan Titan] wasn't named truck of the year because it wasn't the best!" Clay Cooley in his TV a
Email   IP Logged
Monkeywrangler22
Five Star Member

rbent member

Reply #11 - Feb 11th, 2015, 4:33pm

The last time we bought a small tube of blue loctite, it was like $7.  For a tiny tube.  You get a large tub (like a butter tub) of plumbers putty for a similar price.  So you get a lower per-use cost.

The Monkeywrangler's blog
Schlitter Encore
Fisher HKEK - Spec. Roubaix
Seavo - Serenity
Email   IP Logged
rmillay
Five Star Member

rbent member; go
Clowns!

Reply #12 - Feb 11th, 2015, 7:56pm

I like Loctite for what it does.  I suppose several dollars isn't so much for a rich guy, though I'm still on the same bottle I bought 15 years ago.  Plumber's putty tends to corrode many metals, and has largely been replaced by modern silicone caulks.  One called RTV has the best shelf life.

Catrike 700
RANS Formula LE , sold
Catrike Musashi
Catrike Speed
Catrike Speed, sold back

Email   IP Logged
Action Lad
Five Star Member

rbent member

Reply #13 - Feb 16th, 2015, 3:24am

Quote from jayg on Feb 9th, 2015, 9:56pm:
Quote from rmillay on Feb 9th, 2015, 8:46pm:

On older Catrikes the axles are usually locked in place in the spindles, due to rust, so a rider isn't going to be stranded if a skewer happens to fall out. The hub shifts and the brake disk rubs on one or the other brake pads, if a skewer falls out or loosens, resulting in the sluggishness Bob mentions above.

A word to the wise.    Smiley  

"You can't see paradise if you don't pedal!"
T.J. Fowler -- Chicken Run
  IP Logged
MrWizard
Five Star Member

bonus mile sponge

Reply #14 - Feb 16th, 2015, 12:14pm

Fingernail polish ..  just don't let the wife find out you've been dipping into it for nefarious reasons.   Or get caught with a bottle in your kit ..  "Whose THIS belong too?? "   uhm  "Cat"    

Quote from rmillay on Feb 11th, 2015, 7:56pm:
I like Loctite for what it does.  I suppose several dollars isn't so much for a rich guy, though I'm still on the same bottle I bought 15 years ago.  Plumber's putty tends to corrode many metals, and has largely been replaced by modern silicone caulks.  One called RTV has the best shelf life.

« Last Edit: Feb 16th, 2015, 12:15pm by MrWizard »  
Email   IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print