Welcome, Guest. Please Login.
rbent - Recumbent Bike Enthusiasts of North Texas
May 19th, 2024, 3:28am
News: Want to join the rbent Forum? See this thread.
Home Help Search Login

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Blue bike found! Will be returned after custody... (Read 3663 times)
Opus the Poet
Five Star Member

rbent member

Blue bike found! Will be returned after custody...
Feb 1st, 2015, 12:32am

hearing. Actually technically a "property" hearing where the judge will hear my evidence and the pawn shop will give theirs and I will walk away with the bike. TBH I think the picture I have as my current computer wallpaper will be enough, a picture of me with the bike and everyone knows how distinctive a RANS Fusion is.

What I am hoping is the pawn shop took a good picture of the guy that brought the bike in, because it was in too good a condition for a bike stolen in Garland. Basically it had everything still on it except the kitty litter buckets and the frame pump (and I think the mount I built for the frame pump was still on it. 99.9% of the bikes stolen in Garland are stripped to the bare frame and the frame dumped on the side of the road for the scrappers to pick up. That means Blue was not stolen to make a buck.

And I think someone from this club was the person that spotted Blue and told me where to find him.

I ride my bike to ride my bike, and sometimes it takes me where I need to go.
Email WWW   IP Logged
jrob_bent
Five Star Member

rbent member

Re: Blue bike found! Will be returned after custod
Reply #1 - Feb 1st, 2015, 6:36am

Glad you found your bike and it is all there. WOW! Around these parts where i live it would be scrap by now. I think whoever stole it, knew the value of it. I would love to meet that person in an alley. I think I could teach him/her real quick not to take something that doesn't belong to them. It would look something like this: Smiley Smiley

« Last Edit: Feb 1st, 2015, 3:11pm by jrob_bent »  

I get about 15 miles per honey bun!
Email   IP Logged
jayg
Five Star Member

rbent member

Reply #2 - Feb 1st, 2015, 9:34am

Quote from Opus the Poet on Feb 1st, 2015, 12:32am:
And I think someone from this club was the person that spotted Blue and told me where to find him.

The bike was located by John F (Johnnybent on the Forum). When John learns a Forum member's bike has been stolen he keeps an eye out for it when he scans Craig's List and Facebook, visits pawn shops, etc. He is responsible for Bob M recovering his stolen RANS LWB bike from a pawn shop in Oak Cliff (It was listed on Craig's List). I'm the original owner of the blue Fusion and have furnished John a copy of the sales receipt, which has the serial number listed on it. John has confirmed the serial number of the bike in the pawn shop matches that listed on the sales receipt.

« Last Edit: Feb 1st, 2015, 9:37am by jayg »  
Email   IP Logged
jrob_bent
Five Star Member

rbent member

Reply #3 - Feb 1st, 2015, 3:13pm

Way to go John!!! Smiley

I get about 15 miles per honey bun!
Email   IP Logged
Monkeywrangler22
Five Star Member

rbent member

Reply #4 - Feb 1st, 2015, 5:37pm

Woot!  Smiley

The Monkeywrangler's blog
Schlitter Encore
Fisher HKEK - Spec. Roubaix
Seavo - Serenity
Email   IP Logged
FlyingLaZBoy

'16 ICE SprintX fs,
'16 Rocket, '12 KHS
Mocha

Reply #5 - Feb 2nd, 2015, 12:59pm

Excellent, all around....

"A hundred miles on a bike? How many
days does that take you?"

Email FlyingLaZBoy   IP Logged
texpug
Five Star Member

rbent member

Reply #6 - Feb 3rd, 2015, 12:45pm

This is pretty special to have a network like this to help find stolen bikes. I am SO glad Blue was located.

So where/how are these bikes getting stolen????

Catrike 700
Catrike Speed
Terra Trike Tandem Pro IPS
  IP Logged
jayg
Five Star Member

rbent member

Reply #7 - Feb 3rd, 2015, 2:56pm

Quote from texpug on Feb 3rd, 2015, 12:45pm:
This is pretty special to have a network like this to help find stolen bikes. I am SO glad Blue was located.

So where/how are these bikes getting stolen????

Bob M was working on his bike on the front porch of his house in Oak Cliff. He went into his house for a short period of time, and when he returned the bike was gone.

Email   IP Logged
Opus the Poet
Five Star Member

rbent member

Reply #8 - Feb 3rd, 2015, 10:20pm

There was a motorcycle in the bike parking area of the grocery store when I rode in to get my groceries, and I had to park next to it and when I got done shopping the motorcycle and Blue were gone.

My theory is I had a run-in with someone driving a black F150 about 6 weeks earlier that cost the driver the side mirror and a illegal passing ticket, and when he saw the very distinctive bike sitting out in the open he grabbed it. Unfortunately the motorcycle blocked me from being able to tuck the bike out of view from the street, and there was nothing to lock up to anyway. To add insult to injury there was no camera pointed at the very insecure designated bicycle parking area, so they didn't get any pictures of who took it or what vehicle they put it in.

Email WWW   IP Logged
Opus the Poet
Five Star Member

rbent member

Reply #9 - Feb 18th, 2015, 10:23pm

The time and date have been set for the hearing and it is at 9AM 2014/03/04  Smiley Smiley That means I will have to quit work early on the third to be awake for the hearing. Fortunately I have the copy of the sales receipt and pictures of me with the bike to prove ownership.

Email WWW   IP Logged
Opus the Poet
Five Star Member

rbent member

Reply #10 - Mar 6th, 2015, 6:26pm

What is left of the bike is now in my garage. Smiley Some of the damage took place after the bike was recovered, because I'm sure the pawn shop would not detach the cadence and speed sensors and leave them hanging by the wires, and the rear derailler was bent to the point of not able to get the back wheel back on the bike. I can see how the rear derailler could get bent because the officer had to remove the wheels to get Blue in the trunk of the compact car they sent him in to pick up the bike and nobody put them back on, but why damage the sensor mounts? Smiley That's just mean.

The rest of the damage seems to be the result of outside storage and includes the seat cover and the electronics. The headlight still has the same NiMH cells that I installed, fortunately they weren't replaced with cheap alkalines that leaked so the headlight looks to be usable after I charge the batteries. The taillight was bolted to the same bracket as the panniers and appears to have gone to the same place. The tires still have almost as much tread as when they were stolen and the fenders seem to have protected them from the sun damage the seat cover and shifters sufferred.  

Speaking of the shifters they look like the grips melted and ran inside the mechanism. I don't know what happened to them but it wasn't pretty. So the bill for repairs includes tubes, a seat cover, chain and rear cluster (needed before it was stolen), rear derailler, both shifters, battery for the computer, zip ties to repair the sensor mounts, and a new taillight. I might need a new headlight, that will be seen when the old batteries charge.

But the important part is the bike is repairable and I will be riding it again soon.

Email WWW   IP Logged
jayg
Five Star Member

rbent member

Reply #11 - Mar 6th, 2015, 8:07pm

Glad you got it back, Opus. Did you have to pay the pawn shop what they paid the thief for the bike to get possession of it, like Bob M had to to recover his bike?

Email   IP Logged
Opus the Poet
Five Star Member

rbent member

Reply #12 - Mar 7th, 2015, 12:35am

No, but I should have let the pawn shop keep it until the property hearing. I might still have a working rear derailler and the sensors would still be attached securely to the bike instead of dangling off the wires. The rest of the damage was mainly due to outside storage before the pawn shop got it.

Email WWW   IP Logged
Opus the Poet
Five Star Member

rbent member

Reply #13 - Mar 7th, 2015, 12:40am

This just in the batteries took a charge and the headlight seems to work. Smiley Smiley

Small victories, I'll take them.

Email WWW   IP Logged
Opus the Poet
Five Star Member

rbent member

Reply #14 - Mar 19th, 2015, 10:29pm

And the BOM for the repair parts at Plano Cycle came to $256 Smiley Smiley Sad

That is substantially cheaper than buying online because of shipping costs that the wholesaler absorbs to get the product to the LBS. I'm just praying the computer and sensors still work because that will be another $50-100 to get as good as I had.

Email WWW   IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print