Welcome, Guest. Please Login.
rbent - Recumbent Bike Enthusiasts of North Texas
May 6th, 2024, 7:06am
News: Want to join the rbent Forum? See this thread.
Home Help Search Login

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Good Computer with Cadence? (Read 1265 times)
Mdicke

rbent member

Good Computer with Cadence?
Nov 28th, 2014, 5:38pm

I became real accustom to using cadence with my DF.  Now that I am on the F5, I am quickly learning cadence would be nice here as well.  Unfortunately my wired Cateye computer on the DF will not work with the F5.  Any recommendations.  I am happy using the 'droid with MMR for workout details.

I recently looked at a Specialize Sport - Cadence.  It is wireless for speed and wired for cadence at about $60 at Bicycle Inc.  I just do not longevity with Specialized electronics.  The Cateye is over 10 yr and still work well.
Also checked on the Sigma ROX 5.0 wireless for both but also has HR.  Under $100 on Amazon.

Thanks for any assistance.

Mike

Rans F5
Catrike 700
Specialized Allez (DF)
  IP Logged
MrWizard
Five Star Member

bonus mile sponge

Re: Good Computer with Cadence?
Reply #1 - Nov 28th, 2014, 8:58pm

Nashbar : http://www.amazon.com/Nashbar-Double-Wireless-Cycling-Computer/dp/B00HYFD6MI/ref =sr_1_25?ie=UTF8&qid=1417229753&sr=8-25&keywords=wireless+cadence+bicycle+computer

I had the older one for a couple of years and it worked pretty good .. nashbar will take stuff back without much hassle too ..

Email   IP Logged
Tiger_Mike

rbent member

Reply #2 - Nov 28th, 2014, 9:19pm

I looked at my lbs, and couldn't find a double wireless, so I got a wired one and modified it. The newer ones in a one piece plastic housing are no good for this, but if you get one of the ones where there is a short wire connecting the speed and cadence sensors, those can be modified. The cadence sensor is nothing but a pulse counter, and so it doesn't care how long the wire is connecting the two. I got the smallest wire I could find, which was 28 ga speaker wire. Cut the wire to the cadence sensor and soldered in the speaker wire to give me the length I needed between the two. Not very elegant, but it worked!

P38
Rans XStream
Rans V2
Email   IP Logged
dd5339
Five Star Member

rbent member

Reply #3 - Nov 29th, 2014, 7:11am

Personally I'm a big fan of the Garmin Edge bike computers.

Both my wife and I have picked up older Edge 305's and 705's off the used market that are all still going strong.  Sometimes they can even be had for under $100.

They're wireless, easy to set up and if you want to add sensors in, heart rate, power, what not, they add in easily.

Semper Fi

Email   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print