Welcome, Guest. Please Login.
rbent - Recumbent Bike Enthusiasts of North Texas
Apr 29th, 2024, 9:40pm
News: Want to join the rbent Forum? See this thread.
Home Help Search Login

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Mineola Pedal for Paws. (Read 1114 times)
reever

rbent member

Mineola Pedal for Paws.
Nov 2nd, 2014, 8:16pm

Wow!
Nice people trying to help out their furry friends.....BUT next year have a bake sale instead of a bike race.

Tough race. Loads of hills and REALLY rough roads. Felt like I was breaking my Musashi into little parts. I guess every dog in the county knew there was an ASPCA event going on, so they came out to "greet" us.
There were three or four distances to choose from...30ish, 52, and 69 miler. I wanted to do the 52 miler. The only instruction we got on the 52 was in fine print on the map we got in our packet. It said if you were doing the 52 mile race, don't go around the lake, but there was no turn off before the lake and I found myself going around the lake. After the lake they had a sign for the 52 miler.....my 52 miler turned into a 62 miler. Averaged 16.3 mph.....max speed 40.1mph.
If it could go wrong, it did. Twice my chain over shifted on my front sprockets, once going up a tremendously steep hill my chain came off and jammed itself between my cassette and my spokes. Took me a good five minutes and tire tools to pry that out of there. Late in the race for some ***** reason I could not unclip from my left pedal!!! So, as a microcosm of my whole ride, I rode up to my truck after it was all over, struggling to get unclipped. I decided to just grab my trailer hitch until I could get out of my shoe. I was an inch away, and fell over on my left side. Just laid there for a few minutes and took a measure of my day.  

The brightest part of my day was playing tag with the group of front runners. Going down the steep hills I would pass them like they were standing still. Going up the next hill they would pass me back thinking they had buried me. On the way down the next hill, however, I had my undertaker outfit on, burying them again. They just couldn't figure the recumbent animal out.

Adults should have fun so kids will want to grow up!

For every mile of road there's two miles of ditch.

I'd rather be sorry for something I did than for something I didn't do.
Email   IP Logged
reever

rbent member

Re: Mineola Pedal for Paws.
Reply #1 - Nov 3rd, 2014, 7:01am

Thought I'd try to throw in an elevation profile.......

http://connect.garmin.com/modern/activity/625314404

Adults should have fun so kids will want to grow up!

For every mile of road there's two miles of ditch.

I'd rather be sorry for something I did than for something I didn't do.
Email   IP Logged
dd5339
Five Star Member

rbent member

Re: Mineola Pedal for Paws.
Reply #2 - Nov 3rd, 2014, 4:48pm

Nice write up!  Sounds like a "fun" ride..  Could do without the bad roads however.  Dogs just give you incentive to pedaling faster..

Semper Fi

Email   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print